Have I Got A Problem With My Sat Nav

malcolmroyp

my sat nav shows a different MPH then my car the difference is 4 MPH the car speedo has the higher reading is the car right or the sat nav right i suppose i've got to think that the car is right

has anybody else had this problem ???????????

Absolutely standard . . the sat nav is correct, given that it has a good view of the satellites.

The car speedo is only ever an approximation, the law being that it must not read slow

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Hi, no you haven't got a problem, it's very common and subject of another recent thread. My Tom Tom also read about 3-4 mph less than indicated on the speedo. I believe the concensus on the other thread is that actually the sat nav speed is more acurate.

I can't find the thread at the mo, but I'm sure someone else will come up with a link to it!

As I understand it your sat nav is more accurate on a straight road and the speedo on a winding road, something to do with satellites - I read this somewhere.

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

And this is why you sometimes sit behind someone in the outside lane of a dual carriageway at 65mph who steadfastly refuses to get over. They're convinced that they're doing 70mph because their speedo tells them they are, and they've appointed themselves the position of Speed Monitor ;)

Most cars that I've owned have been 3-5 mph out however we've just swapped our C-Max for a Vauxhall Meriva which is at least 5mph out. Previous Vauxhalls that I've had have always been 5-6mph out. When I've established how far out a speedo is then I tend to drive at the compensated speed but this means you are a lot closer to exceeding the limit. You cannot use the a GPS as a speedo in a court of law.

Whatever anyone says the 10% leeway that everyone thinks they have is only discretionary. The actual limit is the exact speed that's written on the signs and you can be done for exceeding the limit by just 1mph - some police forces are significantly stricter than others in applying the limits. Nottinghamshire, Thames Valley,Wales & Kent being four areas that I definitely knowwhere you need to be extra vigilant - my wife used to be a "safety" camera consultant and knew which forces/councils main objectives were to maximise revenue rather than safety)

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

And this is why you sometimes sit behind someone in the outside lane of a dual carriageway at 65mph who steadfastly refuses to get over. They're convinced that they're doing 70mph because their speedo tells them they are, and they've appointed themselves the position of Speed Monitor ;)

And also why HGVs overtake in narrow 3 lane roadworks sections that have 50mph average speed cameras. Flipping dangerous IMHO.

Land Rover is now back towing.