Gullwing Hitchlock

Currently £71. 99 with a Bank Holiday discount from Towsure, offer expires Friday. Has anyone bought one, are they any good? They do look quite simple and would be a lot lighter than the hitchlock I currently use.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Well, in the absence of any comments here I decided to have a punt. Up to now I'm slightly underwhelmed! It is fiddly to fit the receiver but then the shaft wouldn't initially go all the way into it so it wouldn't lock. When I evetually rectified this, I found the barrel wouldn't turn the full 90degrees very easily to allow the key to be removed, hopefully this will ease with use. Having said that, the kit is dainty yet would be extremely difficult if not impossible to force off, so it would be a gas cutter job.

Overall, the jury is definitely out though!

It is fiddly to fit the receiver but then the shaft wouldn't initially go all the way into it so it wouldn't lock. When I eventually rectified this, I found the barrel wouldn't turn the full 90degrees very easily to allow the key to be removed, hopefully this will ease with use!

You could have been describing an Alko hitch lock!

• 1 year later...

Well nearly 2 years on, disaster! The key broke in the lock barrel whilst the device was attached to car and caravan, disabling both. I couldn't unhitch and couldn't tow because of restricted braking capacity. To cut a long story short, it required a locksmith and 3 hours with an angle grinder to liberate both halves of the outfit. The guy had never before failed to pick a lock. So very very efficient security kit, but woe betide you if the key breaks in the lock!

The guy had never before failed to pick a lock. So very very efficient security kit, but woe betide you if the key breaks in the lock!

I'm no expert, but wouldn't it be very difficult (if not impossible) to pick any lock that had a broken key jammed in it?

John