New Volvo Xc90 - Wow

Just seen a video on the brand new Volvo XC90 and whilst I was a fan of the first version, this new one looks pretty special:

So what do you think, would you take one over an X5, ML, Q7 or Disco 4?

Before you answer, just remember that the alternatives don't have "Mjolnir" headlights :D

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

Yorkshiremans war cry "HOW MUCH.".......Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

£45k to £68k, which is expensive. .. but about right for a rival of the X5/ML/Q7 brigade. ..

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

£45k to £68k, which is expensive. .. but about right for a rival of the X5/ML/Q7 brigade. ..

Crazy money. .. You could pick the old one up for as little as 28k on drivethedeal at some points. ..

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Clearly between now and the launch of the new model there must be some good deals to had on the current model especially nearly new ones.

I am not a huge fan of that new version TBH - it looks a bit 'bland' compared to the old version.

Martin. ..........

Looks good but what a poor review that was.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Crazy money. .. You could pick the old one up for as little as 28k on drivethedeal at some points. ..

Very true, but I think this new one's in a different league, we'll see when the first reviews start trickling through but I'm thinking it'll be competitive (if not, better) than the similarly priced rivals.

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

The new XC 90 does look good, the old one does look dated, I think it will be competitive against its rivals, for now I think I,ll stick with my Disco 4 and look at the new D4 Sport when it comes out next year. :D

£68K !!!!!!!

I'd expect to buy a house for that kind of money.

I think I'll just stick with old XTrail until my lottery numbers come through for me. :beardy:

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

I have always liked the looks of the XC90 and admired the trim level in the Executive version, but for me they have always been let down by their poor choice of engines.

The new versions interior is certainly a step-up, but back to the engines. Did I hear the reviewer say, “Any engine you like as long as it’s a 4 cylinder” and for £45 to £68k ….arrrrrrrrrgh…!!!

A competitor to the German marques?? I just don't see it.

Me thinks another flop is about to enter the annals of the motoring history books. :rolleyes:

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Mercedes, BMW Volvo and VW/Audi have declared they will standardise on 4 cylinders. The refinement and performance of the latest 4 cylinder engines is as good as previous 6 cylinder engines. Volvo will do well with the new XC90. I want one - No! I need one urgently, but for the moment my V70 ticks all the boxes including the cost box.

Ern

I have always liked the looks of the XC90 and admired the trim level in the Executive version, but for me they have always been let down by their poor choice of engines.

The new versions interior is certainly a step-up, but back to the engines. Did I hear the reviewer say, “Any engine you like as long as it’s a 4 cylinder” and for £45 to £68k ….arrrrrrrrrgh…!!!

A competitor to the German marques?? I just don't see it.

Me thinks another flop is about to enter the annals of the motoring history books. :rolleyes:

It's a sign of the times I guess. Big powerful v8's and even v6's have just about had their day. Smaller cars are even making do with 2 cylinders these days FIAT's Twin Air being a good example.

If you can get the same level of refinement and a decent output from four why go 6?

Martin. ..........

I've had brand new 2 litre golfs and indeed they are very refined 4 cylinder diesels with impressive performance, my Allroad is an old 2004 v6 diesel and it sounds sooooooo much better, so I agree with you, 5, 6 or more is the way to go.

The new XC 90 does look good, the old one does look dated, I think it will be competitive against its rivals, for now I think I,ll stick with my Disco 4 and look at the new D4 Sport when it comes out next year. :D

I've driven Volvos for year's, more recently XC70s. But because the new XC90 wasn't available yet and I urgently needed a replacement car. .. and I didn't like the old XC90. ...I went for Disco 4.

Whilst they are a great tugs, the seating isn't as comfortable as Volvo seats and solo driving is significantly less sure footed at higher road speeds. Don't get me wrong. ..we are enjoying the D4, and will do so for the next 12months at least. But . ..its just not exciting me.

I never liked the old XC90 because it had the same engine as the lighter (but much better) XC70 and was, as a result, underpowered, thirsty and wallowed too much, especially under braking. It had the kerbweight I preferred (the D4 is unecessarily OTT) but despite (using WOWcar network) being offered £11500 off a new current model XC90, I just wasnt sold on the XC90.

I will await with interest the results of real life testing. Maybe in 18 months I may be swayed back to Volvo but at his moment I am not wowed enough.

Personally I am glad they have dropped that 5 cylinder engine. They never got the balance right and it always had significantly more vibration thought the body that their smoother 4cylinder variant.

But a gutsy v6. .. That's another matter! ;-)

Edited by ericfield

It's a sign of the times I guess. Big powerful v8's and even v6's have just about had their day. Smaller cars are even making do with 2 cylinders these days FIAT's Twin Air being a good example.

If you can get the same level of refinement and a decent output from four why go 6?

As you posed your last statement as a question, it begs a reply. ;)

Engines with more than four cylinders provide silky smooth performance with a much higher degree of driver satisfaction and driving pleasure.

The refinement and quality provided by engines with more than four cylinders is incomparable to those with only four pots.

E. g. to demonstrate the smoothness of the original BMW six cylinder car engine, the adverts were originally screened showing a pound coin balanced on its edge on the engine cover of a BMW with a six cylinder engine, on tick over and also being revved up, the pound coin didn’t move.

Try doing that with a four pot car engine, especially the newly announced XC90 one that is both super charged and turbo charged.

The mere fact that BMW produce a 2. 0 litre six cylinder engine demonstrates the way to go. The less stressed an engine is the more reliable and longer lasting it will be.

To support that fact over the years I have owned three BMW six cylinder cars. I have clocked very high mileages in them all. The highest being over 350,000 miles when I sold it on. They never missed a beat and all they took in maintenance were normal service items.

I worked for FIAT UK when the original air cooled FIAT 500 was in production. It was really only an air cooled motor cycle engine, and with a top speed of about 53 mph was only really practical as a, (fun?) city shopping car. Personally I would only trust a two cylinder engine in my lawn mower. :o

As for the new Fiat 500 two cylinder 900cc car no doubt the little engine is a miniature marvel, with a nought to sixty time of errrrm, three weeks? Aside from the fact they are not rated for towing, (Insufficient drive train strength). Fit it with a custom tow bar and just try towing a caravan with it.

With a maximum of 34 mpg the fuel consumption of the FIAT twin air is unremarkable for a £13,000 car.

In fact my six cylinder BMW fuelled with LPG has lower emissions and driven carefully solo, can achieve up to 61 mpg, when compared to petrol. It also performs well towing my twin axle MTPLM 1. 7 ton caravan.

Four cylinders in big heavy cars is a mistake, but time will tell. :)

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

As you posed your last statement as a question, it begs a reply. ;)

Engines with more than four cylinders provide silky smooth performance with a much higher degree of driver satisfaction and driving pleasure.

The refinement and quality provided by engines with more than four cylinders is incomparable to those with only four pots.

E. g. to demonstrate the smoothness of the original BMW six cylinder car engine, the adverts were originally screened showing a pound coin balanced on its edge on the engine cover of a BMW with a six cylinder engine, on tick over and also being revved up, the pound coin didn’t move.

Try doing that with a four pot car engine, especially the newly announced XC90 one that is both super charged and turbo charged.

The mere fact that BMW produce a 2. 0 litre six cylinder engine demonstrates the way to go. The less stressed an engine is the more reliable and longer lasting it will be.

To support that fact over the years I have owned three BMW six cylinder cars. I have clocked very high mileages in them all. The highest being over 350,000 miles when I sold it on. They never missed a beat and all they took in maintenance were normal service items.

I worked for FIAT UK when the original air cooled FIAT 500 was in production. It was really only an air cooled motor cycle engine, and with a top speed of about 53 mph was only really practical as a, (fun?) city shopping car. Personally I would only trust a two cylinder engine in my lawn mower. :o

As for the new Fiat 500 two cylinder 900cc car no doubt the little engine is a miniature marvel, with a nought to sixty time of errrrm, three weeks? Aside from the fact they are not rated for towing, (Insufficient drive train strength). Fit it with a custom tow bar and just try towing a caravan with it.

With a maximum of 34 mpg the fuel consumption of the FIAT twin air is unremarkable for a £13,000 car.

In fact my six cylinder BMW fuelled with LPG has lower emissions and driven carefully solo, can achieve up to 61 mpg, when compared to petrol. It also performs well towing my twin axle MTPLM 1. 7 ton caravan.

Four cylinders in big heavy cars is a mistake, but time will tell. :)

To be clear I wasn't advocating towing with a Twin Air. You can actually now get that engine in the bigger 500L so you wouldn't need a custom tow bar, you can actually now get one off the shelf for a car with this engine.

However all the 500L's have a pretty low unbraked towing limit any way (even the bigger 1. 4 like ours and the 1. 6 Diesel). So I wouldn't attempt to tow much anything other than a trailer tent perhaps with ours.

My point was mainly about cars in general rather than cars destined to become tow cars. Besides I think manufacturers possibly now put towing ability (???well) below the ability to be seen to be 'eco' friendly hence the switch to an image that is less about big V6's and V8's.

Whether they can indeed be proven to be as smooth as a V does indeed remain to be see. However in the current climate (no pun intended) I don't think we will see a return to that format in mainstream motoring any time soon.

Martin. ..........

To be clear I wasn't advocating towing with a Twin Air. You can actually now get that engine in the bigger 500L so you wouldn't need a custom tow bar, you can actually now get one off the shelf for a car with this engine.

However all the 500L's have a pretty low unbraked towing limit any way (even the bigger 1. 4 like ours and the 1. 6 Diesel). So I wouldn't attempt to tow much anything other than a trailer tent perhaps with ours.

My point was mainly about cars in general rather than cars destined to become tow cars. Besides I think manufacturers possibly now put towing ability (???well) below the ability to be seen to be 'eco' friendly hence the switch to an image that is less about big V6's and V8's.

Whether they can indeed be proven to be as smooth as a V does indeed remain to be see. However in the current climate (no pun intended) I don't think we will see a return to that format in mainstream motoring any time soon.

I believe one of the big drivers pulling manufacturers away from larger engines is company car tax. If you have to get a vehicle that big then the tax is huge and emissions based so a lot of people will opt for the smallest engine that will pull that car.

As a lot of these type of vehicle start out as company lease cars then it would seem to be the way to go.

Our company has a limit of 160g of Co2 on any company car at any level. There are not many larger engines that can achieve this. Jaguar have only just managed to get a 159g XF on the market.

These limits are being reduced every year. This is why I went with the CX-5 in the end. Sure there are lots of other vehicles I would prefer, but not many medium sized SUV type vehicles with CO2 outputs of just 119g.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

dreadly, on 28 Aug 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

I believe one of the big drivers pulling manufacturers away from larger engines is company car tax. If you have to get a vehicle that big then the tax is huge and emissions based so a lot of people will opt for the smallest engine that will pull that car.

As a lot of these type of vehicle start out as company lease cars then it would seem to be the way to go.

Our company has a limit of 160g of Co2 on any company car at any level. There are not many larger engines that can achieve this. Jaguar have only just managed to get a 159g XF on the market.

These limits are being reduced every year. This is why I went with the CX-5 in the end. Sure there are lots of other vehicles I would prefer, but not many medium sized SUV type vehicles with CO2 outputs of just 119g.

yes I agree with that, I'd forgotten that dimension to it.

Martin. ..........

I think I'll just stick with old XTrail until my lottery numbers come through for me. :beardy:

I saw an advert for the new X-trail last week and really liked the look of that too!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Oh dear! I hope VW don't go down the 4 cylinder route when the Touareg is replaced in 2017. There is no way I can envisage a 4 cylinder being anywhere near as refined or powerful as their current V6.

You don't have much imagination then, of course a four cylinder can be as powerful as a six cylinder.

But, oh dear, oh dear! They made it ugly. Like a large X3 with a massive front overhang. Ugly and not good on an "off-roader".

hopefully it will depreciate so badly that it will be cheap enough for me to get past its looks in about 5 years time.

You don't have much imagination then, of course a four cylinder can be as powerful as a six cylinder.

But, oh dear, oh dear! They made it ugly. Like a large X3 with a massive front overhang. Ugly and not good on an "off-roader".

hopefully it will depreciate so badly that it will be cheap enough for me to get past its looks in about 5 years time.

I am,actually,quite imaginative. I even wallpapered the lounge. :)

It's not simply about power. It's about refinement and smoothness. .......which my sensitive,imaginative side appreciates.

I am,actually,quite imaginative. I even wallpapered the lounge. :)

It's not simply about power. It's about refinement and smoothness. .......which my sensitive,imaginative side appreciates.

The lounge eh? I did the shed (which the new Volvo resembles) :ph34r: