Overseas Road Signs And Their Meanings

Found a little article in the Daily Mail about foreign road signs and their meanings.

Russ

Road signs

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Never mind the pictorial signs, the signs with words can take some puzzling out - like the T junction we found with an arrow to the left saying Toutes Directions and one to the right saying Autres Directions.

The ones I can never remember which way round they go are priorité à droite and its reciprocal:

Panneau_fin_de_priorit%C3%A9.gifPanneau_priorit%C3%A9.gif

which could be embarrassing . .........

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

I only drive in Spain and do not think I noticed any like these if fact I have no problems there, are they more understandable in Spain?

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Russ,

I can see the answers, but can't find the questions!

John

Now that really worries me!

knarf

Now that really worries me!

knarf

I can't find the questions either . .. :(

hawkaye :beardy:

Never mind the pictorial signs, the signs with words can take some puzzling out - like the T junction we found with an arrow to the left saying Toutes Directions and one to the right saying Autres Directions.

Toutes Directions (All Directions) and Autres Directions (Other Directions) :)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Toutes Directions (All Directions) and Autres Directions (Other Directions) :)

Other than all????

:o

Trevor.

The two I've never understood are mostly in Germany. The picture of the back of a tanker with water and the apparant speed limits for tanks. Any answers gratefully received

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

The two I've never understood are mostly in Germany. The picture of the back of a tanker with water and the apparant speed limits for tanks. Any answers gratefully received

If I remember from my days in BAOR,the picture of the tanker prohibits tankers carrying liquids that would damage the water catchment area were they to leak. The apparent tank speed limit is just that. (In fact, all tracked vehicles)

Edited by chrisbee

Other than all????

:o

"All (Important) Directions" i. e. main route through.

"Other (unimportant) Directions i. e. Local routes

You have to think like the French!!

Edited by philspot

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

:unsure: I assume there must be some subtlety regarding Toutes and Autres which is lost in translation. No doubt the French will understand. Why should they worry about Brits going round in circles :) .

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

"All (Important) Directions" i. e. main route through.

"Other (unimportant) Directions i. e. Local routes

You have to think like the French!!

It was bad enough trying to learn how to understand the language, How does one learn to 'think' like the French. ..I tried this text book

1000 Years of Annoying the French by Stephen Clarke

But couldn't stop laughing long enough to concentrate

:D

Trevor.

:unsure: I assume there must be some subtlety regarding Toutes and Autres which is lost in translation. No doubt the French will understand. Why should they worry about Brits going round in circles :) .

Gordon

It gets quite subtle

voyages_route_panneaux_direction_inside3

It was bad enough trying to learn how to understand the language, How does one learn to 'think' like the French. ..I tried this text book

1000 Years of Annoying the French by Stephen Clarke

But couldn't stop laughing long enough to concentrate

:D

Looks like my sort of book, just downloaded it. I'll give it a read next week in France. Thanks.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Looks like my sort of book, just downloaded it. I'll give it a read next week in France. Thanks.

Gordon

and me :)

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

If I remember from my days in BAOR,the picture of the tanker prohibits tankers carrying liquids that would damage the water catchment area were they to leak. The apparent tank speed limit is just that. (In fact, all tracked vehicles)

Your interpretation of the tanker sign is correct. The apparent tank speed limit is actually a weight restriction. However, the figures shown on the sign are not tonnes, but the NATO 'Military Load Class' into which the vehicle is classified. The sign is not an official road sign, but of past military significance only. I believe that such signs are gradually being removed as they have lost their original purpose.

Thanks Lutz. Not knowing exactly what sign not so big john was referring to I wrongly assumed he was referring to the speed limit signs we used to have for tracked vehicles around Bergen-Belsen training areas. I visited the area this year for the first time in 40 years and there are still plenty of Load Class signs on the bridges, although as you say they are rarer in non-military areas.

I confess to being confused with the 'end of maximum speed sign' seen in Italy. (Russ help!)

A white circle with a grey (speed) number and the black diagonal line.

I understand its the end of a speed limit. For example I was on a road with 80kph speed limit sign . ..then a mile or so later. ..the 'end of' sign had a grey 80 with a black diagonal line.

So I KNOW the speed limit has stopped. ...but what's the new speed criteria? It's clearly not a full derestricted sign (white circle, black diagonal line and no number) but it doesnt say what you can now do?

I took the view I should slow down. ..but loads if Italians overtook me. ...as they do anyway.

I confess to being confused with the 'end of maximum speed sign' seen in Italy. (Russ help!)

A white circle with a grey (speed) number and the black diagonal line.

I understand its the end of a speed limit. For example I was on a road with 80kph speed limit sign . ..then a mile or so later. ..the 'end of' sign had a grey 80 with a black diagonal line.

So I KNOW the speed limit has stopped. ...but what's the new speed criteria? It's clearly not a full derestricted sign (white circle, black diagonal line and no number) but it doesnt say what you can now do?

I took the view I should slow down. ..but loads if Italians overtook me. ...as they do anyway.

Does it not just revert to the normal speed limit for the class of road? That's what happens in France.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

• 5 years later...

Can anybody throw any light on some road signs i´ve seen in germany. they are usually round on a yellow background with an image of a tank or some kind of military vehicle. Often the sign is split into two images. one above and one below.. Any ideas? are

I think they may be speed limits for the military.

On checking Google, it would appear they are load or weight limits for that road section.

Welcome to Caravan Talk.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion