Pegasus Gt65 Rimini Front Bump Panel Warped

Trev S-J

Just been out in our new Rimini for the second time having taken delivery in mid-July only to notice that the front of the protective panel is warped to such a degree that it is creating a gap between the A-Frame shroud and the bottom of the panel itself.

Has anybody had this type of warping before so that I can be aware of any design faults as I get back to my dealers.( I have a snag list which is becoming longer as as I write ! )

Our first Bailey Van purchased new in 2008 (Pageant Champagne ) was trouble free and I was hoping this would be the case this time around as well !!

Trev S-J

can you take a picture. ..I have noticed a little gap but not sure if it's in the same place. I thought it was just how they were.

That's bad!

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

New one on me!, never seen that with any of ours, which doesn't really help your situation, I cant see any reason why it wouldn't be a warrantable item :)

Here's a few angles of the distortion

attachicon.gifDSC00492. JPGattachicon.gifDSC00491. JPG

That`s bad, that A frame panel should be right back, mines about half an inch from front panel.

Ian

Took a look underneath where the A-Frame meets the panel,it appears that the front A-Frame shroud and the bumper front panel are sandwiched on top of each other but there are no screws or bolts to hold them together, hence as the van is travelling, the motion is spreading them apart .

The only thing that is stopping the bumper panel from moving even further apart is two electrical cables ( from the alko trailer control loom ) interfering with their journey !! - a possibility of these cables being severed by the sharp edge is probably imminent and therefore I will contact the Dealer in the morning to find out if the van can be towed as there is a good chance of electrical failure.

Any contribution to this proposal is welcome ( From Baileys themselves as I believe they do monitor these forums ) or from any body else as I would be extremely interested in their comments /views .

Regards

Trev S-J

Don't get upset and no offence . ..... but are you sure you didn't impact anything. The panel movement is very fresh due to the dirt build up on top of the A frame cover.

You can clearly see the line where the front panel rested against the A frame cover originally, its also more compressed to the off side lower part of the panel and seems to be the main area of compression If the A frame cover hasn't floated forward, your front lower panel should almost be touching the front wall.

I understood the composition of the front and rear bumpers makes them "bomb proof" so it should have flexed back into its original shape, unless its snagged on the a frame cover. If the sun comes out, try putting the nose into it, to warm up the panel (It may pop back)

Maybe there's some bridging missing in the area of its furthest distance from the front wall (Anyone else got some type of bridging on theirs ) to stop wind flex. ...... Either way, what ever myself or anyone else posts, its a for the dealer to assess.

Edited by Gaz40

Believe me when I first noticed I thought " what have I hit and where ? " as it was the first time out with the van . The two photos I took then provoked me to look at the photos and video I took at Run Cottage in Suffolk of "our new pride and joy on our first trip out !! " filmed purely for selfish reasons :) . The evidence of the panel starting to move back is already obvious in a still photo and on pause in the video which I will get my son to post as an attachment for me tomorrow.

When you say snagged I tend to agree as whilst inspecting the underneath there is definitely no gap for the bumper edging and the A-frame cover to lie on top of each other like it should do from comparing the other side. It is not as pronounced ( I will take a couple of more photos tomorrow before I get the Dealership involved ).

By the way I`ve already checked the A-Frame cover and that cannot move any where as it is bolted to the steel under it !.

Yes It is for the dealer to assess I agree but I did ask for some feedback in case this had happened before to anyone, after all that is what forums are for :D and thank you for being frank, it provokes discussion and hopefully a result !!

Regards

Trev S-J

Believe me when I first noticed I thought " what have I hit and where ? " as it was the first time out with the van . The two photos I took then provoked me to look at the photos and video I took at Run Cottage in Suffolk of "our new pride and joy on our first trip out !! " filmed purely for selfish reasons :) . The evidence of the panel starting to move back is already obvious in a still photo and on pause in the video which I will get my son to post as an attachment for me tomorrow.

When you say snagged I tend to agree as whilst inspecting the underneath there is definitely no gap for the bumper edging and the A-frame cover to lie on top of each other like it should do from comparing the other side. It is not as pronounced ( I will take a couple of more photos tomorrow before I get the Dealership involved ).

By the way I`ve already checked the A-Frame cover and that cannot move any where as it is bolted to the steel under it !.

Yes It is for the dealer to assess I agree but I did ask for some feedback in case this had happened before to anyone, after all that is what forums are for :D and thank you for being frank, it provokes discussion and hopefully a result !!

Regards

Trev S-J

That's a fair old distance for wind resistance to push the panel inwards, especially when the area is directly behind the tow vehicle.

Is the distortiom only on the lower part of the panel ? In theory if the panel has slide back, it should be able to pull it back into position (don't try doing this though). Perhaps there is some type of packing behind the centre lower part of the section that's missing, allowing it to flex back.

Anyway I'm sure it will get sorted. Please post the solution.

G40

post-15620-0-97781600-1409211210_thumb.jpg

post-15620-0-42454300-1409212638_thumb.jpg

post-15620-0-35076300-1409212700_thumb.jpg

post-15620-0-44923800-1409212724_thumb.jpg

Some more photos from underneath the A-Frameand where the cable is now stopping the front panel from moving rearwards .

You can also make out how the two panels are sandwiched together but not fastened to each other in order to stabilise them.

Now off to contact my dealership .

Hi Trev s_j,

I have a 2014 verona,the front panel on ours is not quite as bad as yours but it has a definite gap,got me thinking now,think I will go to the storage compound tonight and investigate. Cheers

When under the van what happens when you attempt to push the panel forwards back where it should be?

Hello again Trev S-J,I am at the moment up at our storage compound inspecting our verona,the panel has almost returned to its proper position, on inspection I can see what lookes like a foam rubber packer behind both low level reflectors and the centre bailey logo that stiffened the panel,nothing in the centre behind the a-frame cowl. The main front panel is very flexible, I have just pushed it right back to its proper position, will have to see weather its moved after next weekends trip to the caraven and motorhome, exhibition at Newark. .

When under the van what happens when you attempt to push the panel forwards back where it should be?

Hello again Trev S-J,I am at the moment up at our storage compound inspecting our verona,the panel has almost returned to its proper position, on inspection I can see what lookes like a foam rubber packer behind both low level reflectors and the centre bailey logo that stiffened the panel,nothing in the centre behind the a-frame cowl. The main front panel is very flexible, I have just pushed it right back to its proper position, will have to see weather its moved after next weekends trip to the caraven and motorhome, exhibition at Newark. .

Just to follow up what has been asked,

Without physically using a drift and tapping ( Not even going to try, bye bye Warranty ! ) the panel at the rear, it will not budge by trying to pull it forward by hand !!!

If you look at the last couple of images I posted you may be able to make out the the two panels should sit on top of each other but there is not sufficient gap to coax them together, the alko chassis is sitting tight onto the floor panel.

On the brighter side the dealership is taking it in on Tuesday next and hopefully they will cure the problem.

Watch this space for "part two - the return of the Rimini !!!! "

( I have`nt even told them about the door having a gap in the top corner yet !!! )............One thing at a time Trev !!

Regards + thanks for all the posts

Will let you know how I get on .

Trev S-J

Just to follow up what has been asked,

Without physically using a drift and tapping ( Not even going to try, bye bye Warranty ! ) the panel at the rear, it will not budge by trying to pull it forward by hand !!!

If you look at the last couple of images I posted you may be able to make out the the two panels should sit on top of each other but there is not sufficient gap to coax them together, the alko chassis is sitting tight onto the floor panel.

On the brighter side the dealership is taking it in on Tuesday next and hopefully they will cure the problem.

Watch this space for "part two - the return of the Rimini !!!! "

( I have`nt even told them about the door having a gap in the top corner yet !!! )............One thing at a time Trev !!

Regards + thanks for all the posts

Will let you know how I get on .

Trev S-J

Could be as something simple as missing foam block packing then, a bit naff though considering the alleged impact qualities of the protective cover. You would at least hoped it could have regained its original shape or form after flexing.

At least its had a plus side . .... Your keeping us entertained waiting for the answer. :rolleyes: and to be forewarned is to be forearmed for any other owners.

Good call not to try and pull the panel back yourself. ;)

G40

Edited by Gaz40

My front panel on my Pegasus gt65 genoa moved when i cleaned van. Just pull front panel up to a. frame moulding. Hold in position with small clamp. Then get under neath and silicon both parts together. Leave clamp on until silicon is set . Job done.

My front panel on my Pegasus gt65 genoa moved when i cleaned van. Just pull front panel up to a. frame moulding. Hold in position with small clamp. Then get under neath and silicon both parts together. Leave clamp on until silicon is set . Job done.

Can`t I`m afraid, it has gone back to the dealers, although I did try to lift up the bumper panel enough to get it back over the a-frame shroud with no luck ( it was very tight onto the steel chassis already and I did not want to snap it at the right angled crease along the base of the bumper.) and I hadn`t even had time to clean van ;) as I picked it up on the Wednesday and was off to Suffolk on the Friday . It may have already started moving back before then as I checked a couple of holiday snaps and you can actually see that it has already started drifting rearwards.( I took a couple of prints of the gradual movement with me to the dealership to show them ) . It is now awaiting action as I type ( Friday 5th Sept. ).

Will post the outcome in due course.

• 2 weeks later...

You are not alone with this problem! This is how mine looked following a 300 mile tow home this Summer, stuck solid for a number of days and the side popped out from the retaining groove on the awning rail. In addition to this all 3 front windows distorted to the extent the middle on had the inner and outer panels touch. Bad design and cheap plastics not uncommon on Baileys I'm afraid!

Cheers

Gpost-29742-0-24182300-1410731668_thumb.jpg

2009 Jaguar X Type (Re-mapped) 2. 0D pulling a 2013 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verona

2013 Triumph Street Triple R & 2004 Triumph RS Sprint 955i

You are not alone with this problem! This is how mine looked following a 300 mile tow home this Summer, stuck solid for a number of days and the side popped out from the retaining groove on the awning rail. In addition to this all 3 front windows distorted to the extent the middle on had the inner and outer panels touch. Bad design and cheap plastics not uncommon on Baileys I'm afraid!

Cheers

G image. jpg

Blimey!

My apologies to the OP for suggesting impact damage. Again I thought the bumpers material was bullet proof.

I think it was Alan Stanley who mentioned they use the same plastic on JCB vehicles.

From memory, arnt you the guy in the plastics industry ?

From memory, arnt you the guy in the plastics industry ?

No, not me!

Just got the van back following service and rectification of various warranty issues, instead of replacing the panel as I requested, they apprear to wave wedged it in palce and applied mastic to hold it. I am not impressed with this "bodge" in that the panel is distroted around the area to the n/s grabhandle and as a result it is not fitting snugly to the A frame as it was originally. In addition to this, the panel was clearly designed to move back and forward to deal with wind pressure during towing but now, as it is fixed in place, Imy fear is that further stress may be imposed on the apron that it was not designed to cope with. All in all a pretty shabby repair for an issue that appears to be more prevelant than I expected.

Cheers

G

2009 Jaguar X Type (Re-mapped) 2. 0D pulling a 2013 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verona

2013 Triumph Street Triple R & 2004 Triumph RS Sprint 955i

Up Date to caravan,

Have been to pick van up today only to find the door still has a gap but the dealers have pushed the bumper back into place. They believe that there is evidence of a mark on the bumper resulting in the bumper being pushed/knocked back which I disagreed with unreservedly.

I told the service engineer that there seemed to be more owners experiencing this problem and have sent him the link to this topic so he can read it for himself.

Since I last posted, I have just seen the damage to the poster`s van from Aberdeenshire which gave me a little bit of encouragement that at least some one has had similar problems to the same degree ( although that does not help M600GRD or myself, we both have dodgy bumpers !! :angry: )

Dealers have said to me after taking lots of pictures of the door and frame that it is out of alignment with the rest of the chassis i. e " tilted to the left " which is apparent on the bottom of the frame being higher on one side from the lower awning side skirt grooved moulding, ( engineer noticed this, not me !! ) .

This looks like a Baileys referral in order for the dealers to make a claim for door and warped shelves ( did I mention them ? . .....oh well !! )

Again, watch this space . ...................................... :(:(:(