Which Caravan Is Better

PLANTAGENON

We are looking at upgrading our Adria caravan to a larger Bailey or Elddis. Basically, we are looking at the single axle versions around 18 feet long. Can you advise which is the better of the two manufacturers?

It has to be said that both have had their problems but IMHO the Bailey U 3. Have got my vote so far.

What does it for me is no wood in the frame and GRP side panels, Elddls SOLiD hasn't been such a big hit. .......Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

We are looking at upgrading our Adria caravan to a larger Bailey or Elddis. Basically, we are looking at the single axle versions around 18 feet long. Can you advise which is the better of the two manufacturers?

I would look at the reviews on this and various other forums ( or should the plural of forum be "Fora" ?) and you don't say whether you're looking at new or used?

I've seen a load of bad reports of the new Elddis models in recent times due to floor and quality control issues and not so mant regarding Bailey so Bailey would probably be the one for me if I was choosing between the two though I would certainly look at other UK makes and the various European models ( Lunar, Hobby, etc) before choosing either and if they were still in production I'd choose another Avondale :)

Jim .

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

We are hoping to go the other way and downsize our twin axle Bailey Unicorn which we have been very pleased with back to a single axle and unfortunately the new Unicorn doesn't have the layout we want and the Elddis Shamal does. But we have heard so many bad reports of Elddis build that I am worried about buying one of theirs.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We are hoping to go the other way and downsize our twin axle Bailey Unicorn which we have been very pleased with back to a single axle and unfortunately the new Unicorn doesn't have the layout we want and the Elddiss Shamal does. But we have heard so many bad reports of Elddis build that I am worried about buying one of theirs.

Isn't the Shamal a twin bed rear bathroom layout ? I thought both the Pegasus and the Unicorn do a twin bed version with rear bathroom . ......... ?

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

We are hoping to go the other way and downsize our twin axle Bailey Unicorn which we have been very pleased with back to a single axle and unfortunately the new Unicorn doesn't have the layout we want and the Elddiss Shamal does. But we have heard so many bad reports of Elddis build that I am worried about buying one of theirs.

Unicorn Cadiz and Pegasus Rimini :)

I purchased a 2013 Elddis Affinity and my father-in-law purchased a 2013 Bailey Pegasus GT65 at the same time, over the past year we have both had our fair share of problems. Some of these were attributed to the dealer (same one) and some down to the manufacturers (of both the caravan and internal components).

The reality is that both have had their issues and neither of them are perfect. You will find both happy and unhappy owners in both sub forums on CT. .. it shouldn't be this way but buying a new van does seem to be a bit of a lottery as to whether the quality is 100% perfect. You will always find more negative comments than positive on a forum like this, people use the forum to share their experiences and try to find answers to problems or people who may be suffering from the same issue.

If you want to choose a van from either of these manufacturers then I would not do it on the basis of which manufacturer you think is best in terms of build quality. I would choose the van where the construction, features, layout, style and price best meet your requirements. Then cross your fingers and hope that you get a good one :) .

The other point I would make is that the after sales support at the dealer is critical, especially if you do have problems after purchase. I have learnt this lesson the hard way but a good dealer can make a huge difference to your perception about the caravan and it's manufacturer. Some of the people (myself included) who have complained about quality issues on this forum are doing so because their dealers are not supporting them properly. With my selling dealer it took 4-6 weeks (and multiple calls from me) to get a warranty claim approved. .. with my new service centre it took 2 working days with just a couple of email exchanges. I always assumed it was the manufacturer at fault but I now know differently. As you live in Australia it will be worth doing some research on both manufacturers to see how their distribution/support network compares, maybe the dealers in Australia are a lot better than some of the UK ones!

Whatever you decide to do. .. good luck and enjoy your new van :) .

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Isn't the Shamal a twin bed rear bathroom layout ? I thought both the Pegasus and the Unicorn do a twin bed version with rear bathroom . ......... ?

Unicorn Cadiz and Pegasus Rimini :)

Yes you are both right but the bit of layout that doesn't suit us on the Unicorn is there is nowhere to put the Skybox and recorder to go with the TV. After a day out we like to slump in front of the TV in the evening and usually there isn't much on the main channels we want to watch so having alternatives is good. We did look at a 2014 Rimini at our dealer but the amount of storage came as a bit of a shock after being used to the Unicorn1. Probably the alternatives are no different so we are going to the Lawns show to find out.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Personally I would upgrade to another Adria.

Very likely the way I would go also ;)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I agree with what Markt1891 has said, both makes have had their problems and everyone hopes that theirs won't have any, however what can make the difference between a good or a bad experience is how it is handled by the dealer.

We have a new Elddis with a couple of small issues but they have been dealt with quickly and without any need for concern by our dealer. We would buy from this dealer time and again. :)

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

Look at them both then see what your heart tells you. Then keep your fingers crossed youve bought a good one :)