Argente Alarm Draining Battery

ponyphysio

We bought a 2007 650/6 earlier this year. We fitted a new leisure battery on purchase, but we've noticed that when we're not out for a few weeks the battery goes flat. Battery has been tested and is fine, so we're convinced its the alarm draining it. When my husband pulled the plug out of the alarm, the battery fails to charge. Is there a way around this??

Thanks in advance

PP

Had the same problem when my van was left in storage for 3 weeks or so.

I'm not familiar with your alarm so don't know how you would isolate it - with mine it couldn't be done.

The solution is to connect the van to the mains if at home. If in storage take the battery home to charge it, or if your insurance requires an operational alarm, fit a solar panel.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Caravan alarms are much like car alarms if not used for a few weeks they flatten the battery .

As said fitting solar panels that are more than the demand would help but are reduced in the winter or have a spare battery at home to change every couple of weeks if the caravan is in storage . Some of the newer alarms might have less energy drain .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Mine flattens the battery in 3 weeks as well, If it's the same as in my 2005 Avondale Avocet it's a CONCEPT KEL alarm from Keen Electronics (who were on 01296423203 according to my remote alarm fob) . you should have an alarm key ( small tubular key ) which will switch the alarm off but I'm not sure if it completely stops the drain.

http://www. keenelectronics. co. uk/conceptcaravanalarm. html

Cheers

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

My "solution" was simply to lift one of the battery connections, thus disabling ALL internal 12V electrics. I then used a mains operated alarm (with internal backup battery) for when the caravan was not in use for a couple of weeks. The installed alarm was fine for use when touring.

I have a similar problem with the alarm draining the battery of our MGF sports car if the engine is not run for couple of weeks. But at least I then have the excuse to drive it, just to top up the battery you undertand ;)

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

why not buy one of the cheap solar panels from Maplin's or Halfords (as they only need daylight to work) and put it in the caravan window and connect it to your battery, there should be enough daylight hours to keep your battery from going flat. they work on cars when they are left for a while.

Or are they not good enough for leisure battery's