Does The Fridge Work During Traveling

zoomorphic

were going on our first outing this weekend so,

does the fridge automatically come on when im traveling or do i have to switch the electrics over to car?

How old is the van?

If it doesn't have a Car-Off-Van switch then it's automatic. If it does then it needs switching.

Tony

On most fridges you have to select the 12v option, usually indicated by a battery symbol. Your car has also to be fully wired to provide power to the fridge.

Brian

hi

van is 12 years old,it does have: car /off /van switch. ...would i have to switch it to car then?

thanks for the advice!

hi

van is 12 years old,it does have: car /off /van switch. ...would i have to switch it to car then?

thanks for the advice!

That has nothing to do with the fridge. The supply to the fridge is a separate circuit on its own. You just need the selector switch on the fridge selected to 12v.

Your fridge may be of an age when they came fitted with indicator lights to show power is there. If so the red light should come on when connected to the car with engine running. Modern fridges don't have these lights so it's difficult to tell if they are working.

Brian

How old is the van?

If it doesn't have a Car-Off-Van switch then it's automatic. If it does then it needs switching.

Tony

I have had caravans with both systems and providing the towing electrics have been setup correctly and the switch on the fridge for 12v supply is turned on the fridge worked no matter where that switch was.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

right,so if i just select 12v on the fridge setting,oppose to gas or mains supply then the battery from my car will power it,i have the twin sockets fitted to car

right,so if i just select 12v on the fridge setting,oppose to gas or mains supply then the battery from my car will power it,i have the twin sockets fitted to car

Yep just switch the red rocker switch over to battery symbol, thinking about it I'm pretty sure I leave mine in that position all the time and the red light comes on when connected to the car.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

excellent!....thanks all for your input!.....its not going to be a disaster if i get it wrong as were not travelling too far for the first attempt lol

regards Dave

excellent!....thanks all for your input!.....its not going to be a disaster if i get it wrong as were not travelling too far for the first attempt lol

regards Dave

Good luck with your first journey Dave, hope it goes ok

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Be aware that running the fridge on 12 volts when towing will not cool it down very much - it will only maintain the coldness already in it. Best to cool the fridge overnight on mains at home if possible, otherwise put in a couple of frozen ice packs or similiar.

Land Rover is now back towing.

we put our fridge on night before and don't bother with the 12 volt setting just put a couple of ice packs in and we have travelled about 4 hrs with frige still cold inside. :)

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

That has nothing to do with the fridge. The supply to the fridge is a separate circuit on its own. You just need the selector switch on the fridge selected to 12v.

Brian

My bad. Apologies for the bad advice.

Tony

Hi there

Just a point that perhaps needs to be clarified, the fridge will only work on 12volts when the grey connector is connected to the car AND the engine is running (there's normally a relay in the car's wiring to switch on when the "ignition light goes out" ) so you don't drain the car battery. Consequently you can only check if the fridge is working (red or green light on 12v) with it connected AND engine running.

(BTW My 9 year old Dometic fridge has green lights to show which supply is on ( Gas, 230v & 12v) )

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

You can leave the other swiches in whatever place you like they do not function when on 12v, judt turn the 12v on. I leave the mains switch and the 12v turned on all the time.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.