Sign in to follow this  
Georgiegal

Cant For The Life Of Me Remember....

As I got a few more brain cells fried today ( rapidly running out of them!!), I cant for the life of me remember what the max weight is I can tow without having to pass a B plus E. Before anyone says use the search. .. I tried and just stared at the empty search box. My best friend at the moment is a bucket. Bucket = brain dead. ;)

Just wondered if there was a caravan out there that I could tow without having to pass the B plus E even though I do intend to pass it eventually. .. well. .. hopefully in the next 12 months if I can save enough to do it plus get summit to tow!!.

Fanks in advance

Mazzy.

Maximum train weight (car & caravan) of 3. 5 tonne

Caravan cannot exceed weight of car

Maximum train weight (car & caravan) of 3. 5 tonne

Caravan cannot exceed weight of car

Cheers for that. .. appreciated.

Maximum plated weight for the car and the maximum plated weight added together must not exceed 3500kg.

Dave

Maximum plated weight for the car and the maximum plated weight added together must not exceed 3500kg.

Dave

which gives me. .. about 600kg. give or take. .... kia Sedona 2. 9 manual diesel. 03 plate.

Sounds like you need the +E or find a caravan with a maximum weight under 600kg.

B+E will allow upto 3500kg for tow car and 3500kg for trailer maximum plated weights. 700kg.

Dave

Dave

Don't think that is quite accurate . . 3500 kg is the actual, rather than the maximum, combined weight of car + van

quote . ..

Licences held from 1 January 1997

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

• drive a vehicle up to 3. 5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

Don't think that is quite accurate . . 3500 kg is the actual, rather than the maximum, combined weight of car + van

quote . ..

Licences held from 1 January 1997

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

• drive a vehicle up to 3. 5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

"Combined weight" is calculated by simply adding the car MAM and the caravan MTPLM - no need for them to be weighed so it's not the actual weight used.

Don't think that is quite accurate . . 3500 kg is the actual, rather than the maximum, combined weight of car + van. ..

No, as said, it goes from the plated maximum weights.

"Combined weight" is calculated by simply adding the car MAM and the caravan MTPLM - no need for them to be weighed so it's not the actual weight used.

yeh . . got my head on backwards . . too much stress . . tried to edit it but too late or something . . wouldn't let me . .

I know, I do spout some drivel at times . . put it down to my age

. ................

Mods . . can you mark it as garbage please

Edited by Disco Kid

Is plated weight different to what is in my handbook? the curb weight/ GVWR?

Is plated weight different to what is in my handbook? the curb weight/ GVWR?

The kerb weight of your car, according to the site I just looked at is 2079 kgs

That would leave you with about 1400 kgs for the van. Loads of vans lighter than that around.

Where were you reading the kerb from?

Any Sedona owners around who can confirm kerb weight?

Edited by Woodie106

The kerb weight of your car, according to the site I just looked at is 2079 kgs

That would leave you with about 1400 kgs for the van. Loads of vans lighter than that around.

Where were you reading the kerb from?

Any Sedona owners around who can confirm kerb weight?

says in my handbook: curb weight is 2145-2213kg

GVWR: 2738 (2843)kg

Edited by Georgiegal

It's gross vehicle weight (GVW) that counts for a B licence.

As the Sedona GVW seems to be about 2800 kg, then that only leaves you with about 700kg maximum (MTPLM) for a caravan, which is somewhat limiting.

• Like 1

Site I looked gives it as 2660, which as you say, leaves only 700 or so left for a van.

Maz - don't know if changing cars is an option? Something like a mondeo estate? Decent cars that would be lighter but still good for towing with & a few hundred more kilos to play with for the van. Probably more economical than a Sedona as well if my voyagers fuel consumption is anything to go by.

Site I looked gives it as 2660, which as you say, leaves only 700 or so left for a van.

Maz - don't know if changing cars is an option? Something like a mondeo estate? Decent cars that would be lighter but still good for towing with & a few hundred more kilos to play with for the van. Probably more economical than a Sedona as well if my voyagers fuel consumption is anything to go by.

Umm. ... I am changing cars next week ( touch wood its ready) . ...

For another Sedona!! :D

Dunno. ... I just like them. ..... odd thing is I worked out I change cars either voluntarily or not. .. about roughly every year. ..... in the past 6 years or so, ive had a lucida with the belt snap. ... a MKII galaxy I sold before the car I have now,225k miles when sold, and still going strong as the new owners send me a text every now and then to let me know!! a Vectra estate which I went skating on black ice with and totally totalled the car when it went into a metal fence at the wrong point. .. nasty smash that, really shook me up that one did and took ages for me to gain confidence to drive on my own again. .. had a MKI galaxy written off by a blind woman. ..( she didn't see me) another lucida I sold for about what I paid for it. ... a wee fiesta I bought off a friend. ... had a Vauxhall Vectra. .... think that's it. ...... all in no order mind. This Sedona ive got at the moment ive had for just over a year. But its green. Gone off green now and im getting a black on next week or so. .Borrowed the money off a friend to get it else I wouldn't be able to afford it. Plus this one ive got at the moment has just had a fortune spent on it getting it through the MOT and it still needs more work done on it. .. not cost effective for me to do that considering its value. Reminds me, need to whack it on ebay, :D

Edited by Georgiegal

Bit late now but one option would of been a light MPV like a Zafira and a older light weight 4/5 berth about 1000kgs or if you do not need 7 seats a 2. 0 diesel Mondeo will give you about 1300kg spare .

Finding a caravan under 750kg MTPLM will limit your choice with the Sedona. But you can tow a caravan with a B licence its just a bit of juggling the plated weights . Older caravans are lighter usually .

Freedom caravans are light as one option .

Dave

A 2 litre mk3 mondeo will give you 1475 kg spare

Even though its 4 kids plus me. .. I do need a 7 seater. 5 seaters are not big enough for my brood seeing as my son now tops 6 foot 2 at 15,my 17 year old as tall as me, my 12 year old not far off, and my 10 year old just behind the 12 year old!!.. im 5 foot 7. Plus my 12 year old needs to be in a seat where she cant be touched by anyone. Anyone sits too close and she goes a bit scatty.

I like the sedonas, don't look too mumsy :D

I will eventually get my B plus E. .. I hope.

Not a caravan but a trailer tent will give you a chance to get away and only weight about 500kg till you pass the test.

Dave

Sign in to follow this