Just Thought I Would Mention This

Quite a few people say on this forum, its my first time to travel to Europe what do I need to be aware of etc.

We have been travelling to Europe for a number of years now and I nearly made a silly mistake that all newcomers to travelling in Europe could make and should be aware of.

This mistake nearly cost me my caravan and vehicle and maybe more.

When a another vehicle in Europe flashes their lights at you it does not mean they have seen you and you can now proceed !! in fact it is quite the opposite.

I was trying to enter a busy motorway near Bilbao and a lorry falshed me and I thought, oh he has seen me and is letting me in !! NO NO I moved out and he just kept coming,bloody idiot what is he doing, he is going to ram me and then in a flash( not a head light ) I realised he was saying get out of my way I am coming through even if I have to hit you !!

Do not make the mistake that johhny foreigner think as we do and show courtesy and politeness to our fellow travellers,often they do not !!

malc

Good advice.

However, some trucks on motorways will flash you as you overtake them to indicate that it is safe to pull back in, as they do in the UK. I always flash trucks that are passing me, and get the thankyou flash of the hazard lights in return.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Both abroad and here at home the flashing of headlamps has exactly the same meaning in law as sounding your horn - simply a warning that, "I am here".

We all know that it is also used in the UK to "be polite", either by flashing an overtaking vehicle to move in, or inviting another vehicle to proceed out of a junction. Clearly these are opposite meanings, and are open to misinterpretation. Take care out there, and use your headlamps correctly.

See here where this has been discussed at length.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

A very good point.

Flashing your head lights in any country is like a visual horn, even in the UK.

We have gotten complaisant here and use it to let other road uses know that you are letting them out or can cross in front of you.

A bad habit to get into.

http://www. drivingtesttips. biz/flashing-headlights. html

Edited by doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Ther have been incidents of "crash for cash" in the UK where drivers wrongly assume that the vehicle flashing their lights think it means OK to pull out and have been rammed!

knarf

Malc,

in the UK the meaning is the same. From highway code: "Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users."

e. g. Similar to use of horn.

I know some think differently.

Richard.

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

Also don't treat the left or the right flasher as an definite indication of turning . . wait till you see the action instigated . . flashers don't always self-cancel.

I know . . someone pulled out in front of me when I was in my old Rangey, on wet roads when I hadn't noticed the indicator was still flashing 100 yards after a roundabout . . completely demolished a Cleo rear end . . nothing I could do . . they pulled out so late and didn't accelerate.

No blame attached to me . .

Edited by Disco Kid

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I seem to remember from caravan holidays in Spain as a kid that, lorries used to use nearside and offside indications as a guide to following traffic as to whether it was safe to overtake it or not.

Does anyone else remember this / happy to know if it is still the case?

I've got a skoda Octavia hire car whilst the antara is in the garage, in the car settings menu on the dash it says "lane change flash" and you can tick or untick it, is this because our euro friends flash while changing lanes?

Edited by sleepyfolk

I've got a skoda Octavia hire car whilst the antara is in the garage, in the car settings menu on the dash it says "lane change flash" and you can tick or untick it, is this because our euro friends flash while changing lanes?

I think this maybe a lane change indicator, ie you press (not all the way) the stalk and it will flash the indicator 3 times to change lane.

Davros

I think this maybe a lane change indicator, ie you press (not all the way) the stalk and it will flash the indicator 3 times to change lane.

Davros

Oh i see, I thought all cars did that nowadays! What a strange thing to turn off, I shall miss the 60mpg when the antara is back!

I think its an unwritten rule in the Uk that when you flash your lights it does mean I have seen you and I will give way to you regardless of what the highway code says.

I travel thousands of miles for work and if some one flashes at me I believe they are saying I have seen you and I will give way to you,of course a certain amount of common sense has to be applied to each situation.

In all the miles I have travelled I do not ever remember on Uk roads someone flashing their lights and yet still come barrowling through. Thats my experiance anyway. :)

The only thing a headlamp flash reliably informs you is 'This light works'

Some use it as a warning of presence, correctly as per the highway code. Some use it to say after you. Some will have just caught the stalk by mistake. Some will be saying hello to the friend behind you. etc.

Do not ever assume it means I am giving way, it will not be taken as a defence for causing an accident / injury.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

And of course don't forget the light flash in France where it means "there's a speed trap down the road"......

We were fairly near Le Mans this July and the gendarmes had cars queuing up at the trap in a 30 kph limit. .....

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

They were doing that in Kirkby today!

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

And of course don't forget the light flash in France where it means "there's a speed trap down the road"......

We were fairly near Le Mans this July and the gendarmes had cars queuing up at the trap in a 30 kph limit. .....

And if you are caught flashing your lights warning others of a speed trap you can be done too.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

The only thing a headlamp flash reliably informs you is 'This light works'

Some use it as a warning of presence, correctly as per the highway code. Some use it to say after you. Some will have just caught the stalk by mistake. Some will be saying hello to the friend behind you. etc.

Do not ever assume it means I am giving way, it will not be taken as a defence for causing an accident / injury.

I did say quote "of course a certain amount of common sense has to be applied to each situation." if you are entering a junction and get flashed I assume you take that to mean proceed or do you think he is only testing his lights or flashing his mate or caught the stalk, I doubt it,so we all do it in the Uk regardless of what the highway code says. The point I was making was that they do not do it the same way in Europe so just be careful,thats all I was saying. :rolleyes:

They were doing that in Kirkby today!

What, the French Gendarmerie ?..

I think that as more Foreign drivers visit Britain the more our habits will transfer across.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

I did say quote "of course a certain amount of common sense has to be applied to each situation." if you are entering a junction and get flashed I assume you take that to mean proceed or do you think he is only testing his lights or flashing his mate or caught the stalk, I doubt it,so we all do it in the Uk regardless of what the highway code says. The point I was making was that they do not do it the same way in Europe so just be careful,thats all I was saying. :rolleyes:

You are taking a great risk if you continue to do what you say you do as it is now, as I posted before,a common tactic for crash for cash operators.

There have been warnings by the police on television and in the motoring press.

knarf

The wife was flashed 2yrs ago she just laughed & told him that if he carried on playing with it it would grow.

He just turned bright red & ran off.

:D;):D

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

The wife was flashed 2yrs ago she just laughed & told him that if he carried on playing with it it would grow.

He just turned bright red & ran off.

:D;):D

phew she was hard on you :lol:

BOOM--BOOM. :P:P

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P