Mend The Awning Or Buy Another? (2Nd Hand)

newbievanner

Whoopsy! Whilst packing away the awning last week, a pole liberated itself and tore through the awning side wall. Awning is a Royal and although second hand, we had only used it once before, typical!

Can it be fixed/worth it or should we just look for another second-hand one? I can't be doing with lots of hassle or sending it away. Cost us just over £100.

Thanks.

How large is the tear and where in relation to the panel ( near the top I assume?)??

Personally I'd repair it myself -I hate to throw stuff away - £100 is £100 isn't it!

if it's a large hole I'd get a piece of material from somewhere (sail cloth from, a ships chandlers might be the best but Dunelm Mill stock some decent material that might do!) and machine an artistically shaped piece over the tear. A small hole might just be done with some invisible mending tape from a haberdashery shop (Again Dunelm Mill and The Range have this sort of stuff or try eBay)

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

How large is the tear and where in relation to the panel ( near the top I assume?)??

Personally I'd repair it myself -I hate to throw stuff away - £100 is £100 isn't it!

if it's a large hole I'd get a piece of material from somewhere (sail cloth from, a ships chandlers might be the best but Dunelm Mill stock some decent material that might do!) and machine an artistically shaped piece over the tear. A small hole might just be done with some invisible mending tape from a haberdashery shop (Again Dunelm Mill and The Range have this sort of stuff or try eBay)

Jim

Me too. And then put some seam sealer on the inside.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

If you've got a sail maker near you then it might be worth having a word with them if you can't do it yourself.

Where I lived in Essex you could get quite a lot of work done to a boat spray hood for £50 if you found the right one - some were expensive but others were cheaper.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

You can buy awning repair tape and patches made by McNett sold online and from various outlets like Go Outdoors. Called McNett Tenacious and they do a sealant for an extra strong repair and also sealant for leaking seams. They do a roll that you cut to size and round patches in clear and a couple of colours.

I used a self adhesive patch once and found it to be perfect and it was clear so it didn't stand out like a sore thumb to remind me too much.

In fact I now keep a made up kit in the caravan just incase.

Edited by Roger3596

Audi Q5 3. 0Tdi S Line