Tyre Pressure Miracle....

Mick n Debbs

We collected our new (used) 2010 Lunar Clubman a fortnight Ago and after a tow home I was worried. I'd heard stories of I didn't know the van was there etc, etc but I certainly knew it was. Ok it was a windy, blustery day and although the van had the Alko ATC???? which hums reassuringly when you plug it in and the presence of Tyron bands I was still not convinced.

The van was inside the capabilities of the the car (Mazda 6 Touring) but the whole thing felt twitchy and uncomfortable. That was then but after checking the tyre pressures of the car and the the van the whole experience is transformed this weekend. I increased the cars rears by 8psi and left the van alone at 65.

Although I am new to this I would urge any novice who has stability problems to get to the airline at the garage as the first port of call. It was well worth the POUND, yes pound I paid!!

Thanks for the feedback and this info could help others in a similar situation

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Good feedback, always a good idea to increase tyre pressure whilst towing. I also increase my tyres to the max load indicated on the tyre pressure sticker on the door. Sometimes If I am also filling the roofbox and towing then even a couple more PSI to be sure. ..

Never exceed the max as indicated on your tyres though. ..

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

When i tow i have to increase the tyre pressures to fully laden. ... Should be a sticker in the door. ..

Also don't forget if you were towing it back from the dealers, both the van and car would have minimal weight in it . ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

We collected our new (used) 2010 Lunar Clubman a fortnight Ago and after a tow home I was worried. I'd heard stories of I didn't know the van was there etc, etc but I certainly knew it was. Ok it was a windy, blustery day and although the van had the Alko ATC???? which hums reassuringly when you plug it in and the presence of Tyron bands I was still not convinced.

The van was inside the capabilities of the the car (Mazda 6 Touring) but the whole thing felt twitchy and uncomfortable. That was then but after checking the tyre pressures of the car and the the van the whole experience is transformed this weekend. I increased the cars rears by 8psi and left the van alone at 65.

Although I am new to this I would urge any novice who has stability problems to get to the airline at the garage as the first port of call. It was well worth the POUND, yes pound I paid!!

I think your issue was that the caravan was new to you and it was empty. An empty caravan will feel very different to one that has some weight in it especially on a windy day.

I think your issue was that the caravan was new to you and it was empty. An empty caravan will feel very different to one that has some weight in it especially on a windy day.

Interesting point that, how much would you increase the weight of the van by when loaded? 5% 10% or what?

Interesting point that, how much would you increase the weight of the van by when loaded? 5% 10% or what?

Brand new caravan are not only empty but may have an untypical noseweight, often too light but can be too heavy.

Low noseweight is a prime cause of instability, even if everything else is well matched.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Our lunar clubman is far more twitchy when unladen anyway due to a low nose weight. Great when laden.

Unladen probably only 4. 5% of the caravan weight. Laden about 5. 7%

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Our lunar clubman is far more twitchy when unladen anyway due to a low nose weight. Great when laden.

Unladen probably only 4. 5% of the caravan weight. Laden about 5. 7%

Subject of course to your car's noseweight limit, the nearer you get to the 100kg hitch limit the better for stability.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Subject of course to your car's noseweight limit, the nearer you get to the 100kg hitch limit the better for stability.

I have a towbar limit of 100kg. I find 85kg for my 1500kg mptlm van to be fine.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Thanks for all your reply,

I think the weight of the van this week to last week was roughly the same. Ok we had just picked the van up but we were prepared for a weekend away and transferred everything into the van. I genuinely think the tyre pressures contributed massively to the stability this weekend.

I am unsure of nose weight as I do not have a gauge but if you have a look at my post "very red face" that May give you an idea of my approx nose weight (and snatch weight world record attempt)!!!

I will keep you posted. ....