Satellite Connection

I have a satellite dish. My new caravan has two internal outlets for a TV. one is in the living area and the other in the bedroom. We use the bedroom socket as the TV fits on a swinging bracket from there. Sadly, only the outlet in the living quarters has a satellite outlet built in.

As a result I want to swap the outlets over. If the satellite cable is too short to do so, is it possible to join an extension cable on?

The old sapper.

Yes, providing it is satellite cable and F type connectors.

You may need a male to male connector available in most outlets.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi

The ideal option is to replace the full wiring if you have access, can trace it and have the time. ..but you can, as Milky Way says add on a cable with the cable caveats he stated. . the easiest way is to use two F connectors and a male to male connector if you are routing the wiring behind the scenes with other wiring, if not then you will just ned to make an extension cable which you plug in to the original F type socket.

Cheers

I have Sky+ so this year I added an external twin sat connector to the side of the van under the fixed bad and up to the 12V/analogue aerial socket which I replaced with the same colour double F type connector socket. Now I don't have to go through the window and its all neat and tidy.

Graham

I have a satellite dish. My new caravan has two internal outlets for a TV. one is in the living area and the other in the bedroom. We use the bedroom socket as the TV fits on a swinging bracket from there. Sadly, only the outlet in the living quarters has a satellite outlet built in.

As a result I want to swap the outlets over. If the satellite cable is too short to do so, is it possible to join an extension cable on?

Why go to all that bother. Have the Sky receiver in the living area and a magic eye in the bedroom. Take a flylead from the RF coaxial outlet on the Digibox and plug it into the socket in the living room. Then go to where the amplifier is located and unplug the feed connected to the amp that comes from the the front and then unplug the feed to the bedroom area and then join the two together. Fit the Magic eye by the TV and presto no need for any wiring to be done.

Why go to all that bother. Have the Sky receiver in the living area and a magic eye in the bedroom. Take a flylead from the RF coaxial outlet on the Digibox and plug it into the socket in the living room. Then go to where the amplifier is located and unplug the feed connected to the amp that comes from the the front and then unplug the feed to the bedroom area and then join the two together. Fit the Magic eye by the TV and presto no need for any wiring to be done.

Does that not defeat the object as it will be an analogue signal from the box to the TV? (It is with mine.) It won't work at all if the TV does not have an analogue tuner.

I am also confused about earlier comments re a male to male adapter. If those commenting were talking about about the small back-to-back barrels, they are female and a socket. The male is the one with the pin (think about it) and is usually classed as a plug.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Does that not defeat the object as it will be an analogue signal from the box to the TV? (It is with mine.) It won't work at all if the TV does not have an analogue tuner.

I am also confused about earlier comments re a male to male adapter. If those commenting were talking about about the small back-to-back barrels, they are female and a socket. The male is the one with the pin (think about it) and is usually classed as a plug.

As far as I am aware the signal from the box to the TV is generally analogue anyway. I think most TVs still have an analogue tuner to accept an RF signal. The box changes the digital signal to an analogue signal hence the RF output. You get back to backs that have a male pin either side.

I think many people may confused as the female F type has an external thread. .which is generally regarded as the male and the Male F type has an internal thread (normally referred to as a female thread) easy mistake to make if you if you are not familiar with the correct terminology

Edited by Lee21

Denis06, on 25 Aug 2014 - 9:19 PM, said:

Generally extending a lead for a sat dish is not regarded as 'best practice' and the run from the LNB on the dish to the receiver should ideally be completed in a single run.

That said in practice I have done it successfully (on our boat) with no real noticeable problem what so ever. Just make sure you only extend with good quality suitable co-axial cable and connectors and make sure you connections are good and tight. Tape up for additional protection or even better use a heat shrinkable cable joint cover over it.

You really should have no problem.

Martin. ..........

In terms of signal connections, the male is the connector with a pin - as I said first time, think about it, it all comes down to human sex!

But there again what would I know having recently taken early retirement after nearly 44 years in the radio commmunications industry?

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I do apologise so where I said Male please insert Female and where I said Female please insert Male.

If my wife is reading this, I've run off with the postman/postwoman who is unsure who she/he is, but we are happy!

Graham

It gets interesting with some connectors. Take the professional audio XLR connector. That has female plugs and male sockets. .. the plug is narrowed to fit into the socket but the connectors in the plug are receptacles to take the pins which are on the male socket. ..

Some folk refer to them as female males and male females ;)

Tony

In terms of signal connections, the male is the connector with a pin - as I said first time, think about it, it all comes down to human sex!

But there again what would I know having recently taken early retirement after nearly 44 years in the radio communications industry?

I retired from the TV repair etc business several years ago and thought I knew it all, but the technology is changing so fast I am now lost. At least I can sort out most of my connection issues. I notice the OP has not come back to the thread to update us?