Caravan Damp Problem

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I guess everybody starts with a problem so here goes!

About 4/5 years ago we bought an Ace Jubilee Statesman 2005 model. We bought it privately and were assured it was in perfect condition. We also did a check on it and registered it with CRiS and everything came back ok so we were fairly relaxed about buying it. Anyway, after a while we noticed that the front window had a little split at the bottom left side inside the van and over the winter a little fungi colony grew out of it, We then noticed that the panels inside the gas bottle/front storage container were starting to look rotten and black with panelling starting to fall off. We used it like that until now when we decided to get it looked at and we were very surprised when the motorhome/caravan repair garage said it was only good for scrap as it had been crashed on the front offside, repaired badly, and offered us 500 euro to take it off our hands.

I could see that he was right about the crash damage, I'm embarrassed to say, but surely the van is worth more to us than that as we were not selling it and would be repairable so we could use it in the future. This van looks perfect inside and out apart from the front panel under the window and at the rear window where some panelling is soft.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as I wonder if I'm about to be ripped off twice.

Also if was crashed how come it didn't show on the checks?

Thanks in advance

Pat

If it was mine then I would repair it myself, as for the crash damage. .I guess one of the previous owners paid for the repair out of his own pocket rather than do it through the insurance.

So how long has it been letting in water?

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm assuming it was letting in water or was damp when we bought it. it's difficult to say as there is no smell at all and it looks in good condition. would it be a relatively easy repair given time and a few quid as I have done a bit of building work on my own house and can use tools when I have to?

Thanks

Pat

It is no doubt repairable. You do however make it sound extensive, It is likely that the only economical way to repair would be to diy. It might be worthwhile getting a damp meter and checking just how far it has spread to get an idea of the extent of the task. There is mo doubt a thread on here somewhere about damp meters that a forum search might reveal. In the mean time have a look through this section of the forum to see what might be involved looking at some of the jobs others have tackled.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/forum/137-caravan-repairs-and-restoration/

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Double post

Edited by Easy T

Alan

Also if was crashed how come it didn't show on the checks?

Thanks in advance

Pat

I don't believe a crashed caravan is recorded in the same way as a car. Unless somebody knows different CRiS is just about stolen caravans. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Martin. ..........

Thanks for the advice. I know I will have to do the work myself as I'd assume you'd be looking at

thousands to strip out and replace rotten panels, etc.

Anyway, It looks like a job over the winter so I will let you know how I get on.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Obviously the first job, having assessed the damage is to inspect and, if necessary renew the sealant beneath awning rails, window fixings, around the base of opening roof lights etc. Not always easy to find dry weather for in winter.

Alan

Sorry it took a while to come back. I had a man come and look who used to build caravans and he

doesn't think it's too bad. As you said though I will be assessing and stripping back around the

front window for a look and I will be doing any sealing as necessary.