Island Beds

The Dog House

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.png      PRIMA Leisure is the home of Bailey parts

We have a range of official accessories and upgrades, as well as spare parts.

Designed specifically to make your Bailey journey the best that it can be. 

Click here for more.

Currently looking at vans that have island beds. Not across the breath of the van but rather along the length.

Within reasonable cost I have identified the Elddis Avante 550. A few Buccaneers have this layout but they are more than we want to spend.

Does any body know of any others?

Martin. ..........

Most models in every range are fixed bed models - at least it seems that way when you DON'T want a fixed bed - they're all too short or have the corner cut-off, at least on normal 7'6" wide caravans they do.

If a builder put such short beds in a house, they couldn't call them bedrooms under the Trades Description Act !!

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Most models in every range are fixed bed models - at least it seems that way when you DON'T want a fixed bed - they're all too short or have the corner cut-off, at least on normal 7'6" wide caravans they do.

If a builder put such short beds in a house, they couldn't call them bedrooms under the Trades Description Act !!

The bed in the Elddis Avante is along the length of the van, with space either side. Hence it's an island bed, and full,length AFAIK.

I believe you are talking about beds across the width of the van. The bed in the Avante is Four foot six wide.

Martin. ..........

Bailey senator Virginia. ... Looked at this one before we settled on the one we've got.

Bailey senator Virginia. ... Looked at this one before we settled on the one we've got.

http://caravans. autotrader. co. uk/mobile/stock-item-id/8ac80d9a4743603001474ef37d540e81/advert?keywords=Bailey+senator+Virginia+&berth=&category=&make=&model=&minimumprice=&maximumprice=&radius=&minimumregistrationyear=&maximumregistrationyear=&locationName=Ely+East&latitude=52. 3961&longitude=0. 2688&postcode=CB6

Edited by gooney1971

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

Ive got 2 singles now and have the best nights sleep ever with having loads of space

I have a Mercedes 220 CDI AMG SPORT and following closely behind is a sterling 564 Sport 2012, I live in France and spend loads and loads of time in campsites.

Elddis Crusader Cyclone have a rear Island bed. :)

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

The bed in the Elddis Avante is along the length of the van, with space either side. Hence it's an island bed, and full,length AFAIK.

I believe you are talking about beds across the width of the van. The bed in the Avante is Four foot six wide.

Depends what you call "full length" - 2. 0 metres (6'6") is full length but the old Imperial standard was 6'3" - few caravan beds are as big as 6'3" but a handful are.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Depends what you call "full length" - 2. 0 metres (6'6") is full length but the old Imperial standard was 6'3" - few caravan beds are as big as 6'3" but a handful are.

The bed in the Avante is 6ft 1 inch long. I am five foot ten and Jan is much shorter. I am anticipating we will find a bit of room. ...

But yes a clear indication to actually 'try before you buy' which we will.

Martin. ..........

Any island bed, irrespective of manufacturer, can be pulled out another 2-3" from the headboard end and even on many transverse ones (headboard on side wall), you'll still have enough room to get by at the base. We had a transverse bed on our Delta Ti and although it's advertised as a good length, the average 6' person will need at least a 6'3" or 6'4" mattress, hence the reason for pulling the mattress down that bit further. You soon develop the sideways caravan shuffle but it's no great hardship.

We now have a MH with a longitudinal island bed (headboard on the rear wall) and also pull this away from the headboard but because of the layout, you don't generally have issues around the foot of the bed but may do on the corners if they're close to furniture.

HTH ;) .

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Had a 2006 Bailey Senator Louisiana with an island bed running length ways.

That was a twin axle though, not sure whether twins are a consideration for you.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

The bed in the Avante is 6ft 1 inch long. I am five foot ten and Jan is much shorter. I am anticipating we will find a bit of room. ...

But yes a clear indication to actually 'try before you buy' which we will.

I'm 6' and have no. Problem with the bed in the louisiana as mentioned by griff above, it's the same width as a standard double bed as well

On a similar hunt myself. I like the Coachman 545/4 but am waiting to see if this layout survives into the 2015 range as it would appear they are making a bit of noise about their 'new' transverse option.

Buccaneer have the same layout on a single axle but with all the added luxuries like self levelling etc it is about £4k+ more expensive

Edited by Mallah