Who Tows At Or Near Their Mass In Service?

MPG

We have decided the time is right to look at changing the van.

As a tow car I can't fault the Smax (as long as not on grass / mud) and it has a mass in service of 1875 kgs and capacity of 2000 kgs braked.

The peg is 1500 kgs and in reality it will be something similar we end up with, but if I push the MTPLM up it opens up a lot more options.

So the question is do people tow up to 100% and does it feel ok?

Thanks.

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

We have decided the time is right to look at changing the van.

As a tow car I can't fault the Smax (as long as not on grass / mud) and it has a mass in service of 1875 kgs and capacity of 2000 kgs braked.

The peg is 1500 kgs and in reality it will be something similar we end up with, but if I push the MTPLM up it opens up a lot more options.

So the question is do people tow up to 100% and does it feel ok?

Thanks.

Mike

I tow not far off 100% 97%

I have no issue with that personally. Feels very stable, plenty of power, does not get pushed around.

The cars max tow weight is 2000kg

Mazda and Bailey

The towing capability for the Mazda CX-5 - D 2. 2

with a Bailey Olympus 546: oranje50.gif

Performance on leveled roads

5sterren.gif Top speed

4sterren.gif Acceleration and take over

5sterren.gif Towing ability Performance in mountainous regions

5sterren.gif Drive off uphill

5sterren.gif Driving on motorway slopes

5sterren.gif Driving on steep roads

3sterren.gif

97%

oranje.gif

1472 kg pijl.gif1520 kg

80 kg

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Mine tows great, very stable, economical and goes really well with 500nm.

With the mk3 Mondeo I towed at 96% and in 7 years it never gave me cause to consider the match it was faultlessly stable all the time in whatever the weather and whatever traffic.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Our twin axle senator has a max load upgrade to 1800kg, the antara has a max tow limit of 1800kg for the auto and 2000kg for the manual so it's on the limit for the gearbox and about a 93% match.

The car has a relatively short wheelbase and although power wise it seems fine, when we change the car in the spring I am looking for something that's going to bring it down to a c. 75% match to feel a bit more comfortable.

You need to be a lot more mindful of wind and passing vehicles with a 90% plus match I think and I do have to reduce our speed to 50 sometimes to feel comfortable.

It was part of our plan to get the van we wanted and whilst the outfit is legal I wouldn't want to go on super long jaunts, we were always only going to use it for short journeys until we changed the motor.

I comfortably tow 1600kg with my 2009 2. 0Tdci S-Max Titanium and used to tow at 95% with our 2. 0Tdci C-Max so I'm sure you could push it up a bit. The main thing is to make sure the van is loaded properly, that the nose weight is as high as you are allowed and make sure the tyre pressures on both car & van are correct

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Our twin axle senator has a max load upgrade to 1800kg, the antara has a max tow limit of 1800kg for the auto and 2000kg for the manual so it's on the limit for the gearbox and about a 93% match.

The car has a relatively short wheelbase and although power wise it seems fine, when we change the car in the spring I am looking for something that's going to bring it down to a c. 75% match to feel a bit more comfortable.

You need to be a lot more mindful of wind and passing vehicles with a 90% plus match I think and I do have to reduce our speed to 50 sometimes to feel comfortable.

It was part of our plan to get the van we wanted and whilst the outfit is legal I wouldn't want to go on super long jaunts, we were always only going to use it for short journeys until we changed the motor.

I find that towing is a fine art. .. Knowing when a combination is likely to become unstable is the key I think. I believe that taking it east downhill and especially downhill and on bends or exposed sections is the major key. ALL towing accidents I have ever seen bar NONE have been downhill.

I think this is due to the trailer pushing the towing vehicle.

I think towing uphill, providing no strong side winds then 90+mph is probably achievable safely IF your car could do it. (I do not condone this, just saying).

If a van becomes unstable and takes a tumble, it's not going to matter what towing vehicle you have.

Edited by dreadly

Mahatma Gandhi

My Passat towed my old van (75%) beautifully . .. with the new one at 97% it's terrifying - I need a new car, and will be sticking to 85%or less.

There may be some combinations of car/van which work due to the relative wheelbase lengths etc, but as a general rule I'm convinced that 85% is the max. Less is more . ..

mine is 97 % thats with the maximum upgrade on the van to 1700kg

Mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

Currently at 90%, but before that towed for a couple of years at 103%.

I tow on the limit with my Orlando and Valencia mk 1, just back from a 5,000 mile trip and it was faultless.

Our Xsara picasso 2ltr HDI has a towing weight of 1300kg and the van is 1200kg so that is a percentage of about 92, the outfit is stable but i need to change down a gear on some motorway inclines. ..

I tow on the limit with my Orlando and Valencia mk 1, just back from a 5,000 mile trip and it was faultless.

What's an Orlando?

Having towed at 93% match with a Mondeo, and now the same caravan with a Navara at well under 80% I know which I prefer. I thought the Mondeo towed well but the Navara shows it up TBH. The caravan used to push the Mondeo around a little but none of that now. Unless I had no choice I wouldn't go back to towing at over 90% match now.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

My CX-5 is more stable than the heavier Xtrail I had previously.

XT was 1720kg, CX-5 is 1663kg, towing 1565kg over 90%.

The issue towing a caravan near the limits I've found is more of a power one, the Xtrail lacked torque lowdown for pulling 1565kg, the CX-5 doesn't. Makes for a more comfortable towing experience.

The Xtrail brakes were more powerful however, something I noticed soon after getting the CX-5, so I have to stomp on the brakes that bit more.

One or two of the posters above appear to be confusing the maximum towing weight stated by the manufacturer of the car with the kerbweight.

Percentages should be caravan`s mtplm as a percentage of the car`s kerbweight,

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

I've tow'd at 106% for 3 years without any problems. I put it down to my car having a small rear over hang and correct loading.

Regards,

Kevin

Honda F-RV towing 1999 Bailey Senator Montana

It might be interesting to get a table of tugs with their kerb-weight, max weight and maximum towing weight and look at percentages . .

but that would be a big job, and I don't fancy tackling all that effort

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

One or two of the posters above appear to be confusing the maximum towing weight stated by the manufacturer of the car with the kerbweight.

Percentages should be caravan`s mtplm as a percentage of the car`s kerbweight,

Bob

No confusion on my part 😉

Mass in service 1875 kg with 2000 kg limit therefore I could if I chose tow a van of upto 1875 kgs.

As the Smax is very stable I am getting more comfortable in pushing up what I tow with it taking into account the sensible suggestions about loading and tyre pressures (which I do anyway).

No confusion on my part

Mass in service 1875 kg with 2000 kg limit therefore I could if I chose tow a van of upto 1875 kgs.

As the Smax is very stable I am getting more comfortable in pushing up what I tow with it taking into account the sensible suggestions about loading and tyre pressures (which I do anyway).

Surely you could tow up to 2000kg ?

Mahatma Gandhi

Surely you could tow up to 2000kg ?

Ahh, I can feel an interesting debate coming on (unless it's a tongue in cheek comment)....

😁

Edited by MPG

My auto KX3 Sorento has a max of 2000kg towing limit though it's weight is a bit more. We tow a 1900KG max, Sterling TA van.

It feels fine to me and as said, I am used to towing and know when to expect trouble.

That said, it is not a lively tow. It runs well at 60mph but you do know you are towing.

Ahh, I can feel an interesting debate coming on (unless it's a tongue in cheek comment)....

Not tongue in cheek. .. I am not aware of anything that says you cannot legally tow at max weight. Just common sense.

Mahatma Gandhi

The max tow weight the volvo v70 d5 can tow is 1800 kg which would make it 600kg heavier than the kerbweight if i where to pursue that route. .

mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se