Nose Weight, Loading And Towing With A Mover

aliandsas

Hello,

Well we've now had a mover fitted and had a little play with it getting the van on and off the drive. It is so much easier! Our next trip away - the first one with the mover - is a big one (Italy!) so I'm just wondering whether the weight of the mover will affect the nose weight and therefore will I need to rearrange how I load and pack the van? Also, I can see that there isn't quite as much clearance under the van so I will be mindful of that, but is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

The mover will most likely increase the noseweight slightly, but whether you need to make any changes to the way in which you load your van will depend on whether you were at the maximum noseweight for your towcar before having the mover fitted. The best thing to do is to load your van as you normally would and then check the noseweight with a suitable gauge/scales.

My only other bit of advice is to remember to disengage the mover before you try to pull away. .. I forgot this a couple of times when I first had one fitted :). Apart from that there really isn't anything you need to worry about. Most movers are designed so that you still have enough clearance for speed bumps etc.

If you want to add any more details about your caravan/noseweight, mover make/model and tow car then that may help to provide a more detailed answer.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

1) You have used ups something like 30kg of your loading allowance by fitting the mover (more if you've fitted or upgraded the battery to cope).

2) Nosewight will be affected but only by a little (lighter if rear of axle, heavier if forward of it). Gas level / use will probably affect it more!

Ideally check the weight before every journey if you are close to any of the limiting factors. It's surprising how things do vary and how a wrong nosweight can affect the towing experience.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Thank you, I've got 2 bikes on the a frame for the first time as well so I will definitely check the nose weight before I set off. I may also sellotape a huge note on the steering wheel reminding me to disengage the mover!!

Thank you, I've got 2 bikes on the a frame for the first time as well so I will definitely check the nose weight before I set off. I may also sellotape a huge note on the steering wheel reminding me to disengage the mover!!

Don't forget to check you are not above the limit for the chassis or the car. Two bikes must weigh around 20kg at least I guess!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

I may also sellotape a huge note on the steering wheel reminding me to disengage the mover!!

The mover makers' advise leaving the manual engagement wrench for the mover on the driver's seat to remind you of that!

I have tried to drive off with mover engaged. .. You just don't go anywhere! Doh!! (Unless you're very stupid with the engine revs etc. ,.!).

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Tips for mover use.

1 - put the handle on the drivers seat of the car when it's engaged which will remind you to disengage it before you drive off.

2 - never ever, even for a moment put the handle or the remote on the van's A frame, always put it in the car or the van. A replacement remote is about £120 if you drive off with it on the A frame (voice of experience :( - I now have a lanyard on the remote)

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

The mover makers' advise leaving the manual engagement wrench for the mover on the driver's seat to remind you of that!

I have tried to drive off with mover engaged. .. You just don't go anywhere! Doh!! (Unless you're very stupid with the engine revs etc. ,.!).

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I thought I was going senile, all hitched up ready to go reved the car and. ..nothing, I thought it was my electronic handbrake playing up, then the daughter said " dad have you released the mover"...... Ah um no I haven't. ..Double doh!!!

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG