I Think We Need To More Adventurous !

After travelling to South West France,(not the coast) for many years, Portsmouth / St Malo.

The weather this year was disappointing in France and having to watch the lovely weather on tv back in the Uk we feel we need to look at our annual 5 weeks away,I am semi retired, I have to take my holiday from late June to the end of August, quiet camp sites suit us.

We a considering Spain,Santander to Mazzaron on the costa Azul and make our way up the coast then back via Santander

Now I know we will be guaranteed HOT sunshine but is it bearable in late June into July?

I have seen a site near Mazzaron called Los Maddrillos near Isla Plana,any one been here ?

Thinking of staying here for most of the time as we do not want to be travelling all of the time.

Our tow vehicle is an older TD5 Discovery 82,000 on the clock but well maintained, how would this fare in that heat ?

We did visit the Costa Brava a couple of years ago and found it dissapointing with sites as early as June were full with noise,disco etc.

Would it be any better further south in Spain considering most north Europeans with children will not travel that far,ok yes the Dutch will I know.

Any advice for a trip like this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, malc

My daughter and her family live near Almeria in S. E. Spain. It is too hot for them so they come back for August and next year for July as well. If your caravan has no AC, bear in mind that it will be a very hot tin box at the height of the summer.

But others here also go to Spain so it will be interesting what parts of Spain are cooler from members point of view.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We on the west coast of Spain have had a pleasent year as regards the weather,

Parts of the north and parts of the east coast,Barcelona down, have had some shocking weather, storms, large hail stones (that had to be cleared with snowplows) and flooding and of course from late july through till end of August the temperatures will rise. Next year could be totaly different.

We have air con in the caravan but hardly ever go anywhere in the summer months, the sites as you said are crowded and the heat makes it unpleasent to get around, we don't want to sit in the van all day with the air con running.

The coast is cooler and the mountains and plains are stiffeling.

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

We have friends who live near Mazzaron and in July and August it can get to 40c we tend to stay away till September then go visit

Hi,

Los Maddrillos near Isla Plana is a great site to over winter we spent some time there last November when it was warm and sunny and SWMBO went in the open air swimming pool every evening - Ok I admit it's heated :). I would think in the summer it is stifling there, we cannot remember there being shade to be had anywhere but then we weren't looking for it.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

I live in the Costa Blanca and I can tell you it is hot, if you get a storm it is over very quick.

It is not really the temperature but the humidity you will suffer from you will sweat at night and in the day, without air con in August it will be unbearable and there is no respite from the heat day or night, you have a shower and cannot dry yourself. I am used to it but it is still too much sometimes. Last year it was 48 deg late July, this year not so bad, but still very hot.

If you do not like the heat then do not come in high season, then there is the tourists, millions of them, nowhere to park, just wall to wall people.

Good luck whatever you do.

Thanks everyone,

Too hot then, I thought it would be.

So where to go to gurantee sunshine without having to drive 1,000 s miles and find a quiet site.

Possible ?

malc :rolleyes:

We wanted a change last year and went to Germany, Austria and Luxembourg. We certainly didn't have wall to wall sunshine but moved north from Fussen because we were too hot.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Hi

This summer we went into the Arctic Circle to North Cape, Norway and until two weeks ago have had virtually uninterrupted sunshine since leaving Harwich on 7th June.

To be fair the Scandinavians are saying that is unusual and unless you are like us retired it is a long long way. Nevertheless is it a stunning place to visit - loved it. :rolleyes:

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

Try Austria and Germany you won't regret it. Have a look on here plenty on both Countries.

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Try Austria and Germany you won't regret it. Have a look on here plenty on both Countries.

Hi Snooks,

Would the weather be any better in Germany / Austria in July than in south west France ? it is the weather we were looking for,we are not in to touring as I drive all the time at work,just looking at some where to stay,nice quiet site where sunshine can be more or less guranteed. I went on school trip to Austria and Germany back in the 60's and I remember it was fantastic especially Austria and I will go back there one day but my wife so loves the sunshine. Its not much fun sat in a wet field in a caravan. I am thinking we may now need to head for the South of France near the Med. malc

A friend of mine spends most of his time at Los Madrillos - but not in the winter. He goes from early April until the end of June, and then again from late August until October, and recommends it!

I don't think, at the moment, that the weather can be guaranteed anywhere. Everywhere seems to be suffering from 'odd' weather - just like we are. Recently there have been heavy rains in Spain (on the plain but on the costas too). We did have a wonderful sunny week in Greece, (but perhaps too hot for you) and they'd had little rain there for months, but it's a long way to tow!

I was in Germany (Black Forest) for the early part of July and the weather was very changeable. Boiling hot wall to wall sunshine one day, chilly with constant rain for the next 5 days. As we were touring and visiting places rather than a relaxing lazy type of holiday the weather wasn't as important to us as in previous years. B)

We go to Germany and Austria very year with the Caravan April to June and never had bad weather. This past year we had no all rain days and about 4 days with some rain over the 9 weeks April 24th to June 24th. the temperature was 20 to 35 degrees Centigrade with lots and lots of sun. Southern Austria would be too hot for us in June/July when it can be in the 40's. When we were there this year and it was 35 deg. it always cooled down at night so we could sleep comfortably.

In past years when France has had terrible weather and even last year the floods in Germany, which were not normal at all, the weather was excellent in Karnten area of Austria. We found one year when doing Eastern Europe the further East you go the better the weather.

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Have you tried northern spain,we have always found it to be hot but not too hot in the summer months.

I would think about the low to mid 80s with most days having a nice gentle breeze off the atlantic.

We visited for many years in june/july/august & found it perfect for us.

Nowadays we come back to the uk for those months as the boss likes to spend as much time as she can

with the grandchildren.

The advantage is being able to use the ferries disembark & you are there,you can then drive as little or

as much as you wish.

July & august Madrid & most of the cities in central spain head for the north so either get on site or book

well in advance as most sites get booked up for these months.

The scenery is fantastic, as is the food & wine & they really do love a fiesta.

Just my luck that our kids started breeding early. ;):D:D

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Wouldn't a fly drive holiday suit you and your wife better?

We take our van to Europe because we want to move bases when we are there and because we want to carry a fair degree of kit with us (bikes etc.)

If you want to stay in one place, maybe flying could be better value and better use of your time. Just save the 'van for UK breaks.

Wouldn't a fly drive holiday suit you and your wife better?

We take our van to Europe because we want to move bases when we are there and because we want to carry a fair degree of kit with us (bikes etc.)

If you want to stay in one place, maybe flying could be better value and better use of your time. Just save the 'van for UK breaks.

Hi AlfaEuropa,

We do that as well as caravanning. Next year will be two weeks in a Hotel in Spain or Greece( wifes joice ) and car hire,back home for a week then off on the ferry for the longer stay in France( my choice). I look at our caravan when in France as our house in France,it's just until this year the weather has been fairly reliable although four years ago it was again wet.

I think we need to look at a site nearly on the Med coast,that is the plan at the moment. Anyone know of a quiet site south west France ?

Have you tried northern spain,we have always found it to be hot but not too hot in the summer months.

I would think about the low to mid 80s with most days having a nice gentle breeze off the atlantic.

We visited for many years in june/july/august & found it perfect for us.

Nowadays we come back to the uk for those months as the boss likes to spend as much time as she can

with the grandchildren.

The advantage is being able to use the ferries disembark & you are there,you can then drive as little or

as much as you wish.

July & august Madrid & most of the cities in central spain head for the north so either get on site or book

well in advance as most sites get booked up for these months.

The scenery is fantastic, as is the food & wine & they really do love a fiesta.

Just my luck that our kids started breeding early. ;):D:D

This year we arrived in Northern Spain,Bilbao on 27th June and stayed at La Rouletta just over the French boarder but again a few nice days but not very warm and then it became cloudy and rainy off and on which was the pattern for the weather right until the end of July. We stayed in La Rouletta for around one week then made our way around 140 miles north into France so we were not that far from north Spain. Maybe it was just bad luck this year made worse by the fact it was so nice back home. :unsure:

We go to Germany and Austria very year with the Caravan April to June and never had bad weather. This past year we had no all rain days and about 4 days with some rain over the 9 weeks April 24th to June 24th. the temperature was 20 to 35 degrees Centigrade with lots and lots of sun. Southern Austria would be too hot for us in June/July when it can be in the 40's. When we were there this year and it was 35 deg. it always cooled down at night so we could sleep comfortably.

In past years when France has had terrible weather and even last year the floods in Germany, which were not normal at all, the weather was excellent in Karnten area of Austria. We found one year when doing Eastern Europe the further East you go the better the weather.

The thing about caravanning it 's like a child in a sweet shop so much choice of where do I go . I think it will have to THE BIG ONE one day,at least 3 months France, Germany,Austria, North italy back into Southern France,down the med coast into Spain and back home via Sanatander. If you dont' have your dreams :rolleyes:

The thing about caravanning it 's like a child in a sweet shop so much choice of where do I go . I think it will have to THE BIG ONE one day,at least 3 months France, Germany,Austria, North italy back into Southern France,down the med coast into Spain and back home via Sanatander. If you dont' have your dreams :rolleyes:

Sounds like a great plan. DO IT. or forever wish you had/ ;):):D

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

On our way back towards blighty after a first trip to Black Forest and have had rather average weather for two weeks with temps in low 20's just some days. Had a great time stiil but no where is guaranteed consistent hot weather on Northern/ mid Europe IMO . If area is very green and pleasant it only stays that way with some help from Mother Nature !

Edited by sunshinetours

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

If you are semi retired could you not travel earlier? We go April to the end of June and most years get reasonable weather but not wall-to-wall sunshine. I have been to Los Madriles twice in June and its a very good site IMHO a but a little out of the way if you want to sightsee. As for avoiding crowds I don't think you can go anywhere at that time of year without encountering families, we saw lots of Brits with children in Portugal and are quite sure it was not during any school holiday.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk