Looking To Get Our 1St Caravan

ChrisMarilyn

We are looking to get our 1st caravan, we are looking to spend 5 to 6k and would like your advice on what we should look for ie' 2 or 4 berth with end wash room, we live in north kent, so any advice on good dealers in kent would be great.

Hi and welcome, we've got a 4 berth end washroom and there's only two of us and feel it's the perfect layout for us, it's nice having the extra seating and a little bit more space that we would miss If we went to a 2 berth.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

One of the reasons there are so many layouts is that rarely do two people have the same idea of the important things in a van apart from the obvious lack of damp etc. so it is difficult to give advice. You need to go and sit in a few and then mentally go through a day, getting up do you want a fixed bed so no bed making or more space so make up the bed? Do you want an end washroom or do you feel that space is better for living space? How big a fridge do you need and how much space for preparing meals or will you mainly be eating out? How important is where the TV is and do you want to take away a Sky box or similar? Do you want big settees to entertain in the van or extra beds for guests to come along?

I do know that most people starting caravanning change their first van within a couple of years because they realise what they thought was the perfect layout for them isn't!

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

One of the reasons there are so many layouts is that rarely do two people have the same idea of the important things in a van apart from the obvious lack of damp etc. so it is difficult to give advice. You need to go and sit in a few and then mentally go through a day, getting up do you want a fixed bed so no bed making or more space so make up the bed? Do you want an end washroom or do you feel that space is better for living space? How big a fridge do you need and how much space for preparing meals or will you mainly be eating out? How important is where the TV is and do you want to take away a Sky box or similar? Do you want big settees to entertain in the van or extra beds for guests to come along?

I do know that most people starting caravanning change their first van within a couple of years because they realise what they thought was the perfect layout for them isn't!

+1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

+1

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Make this post a sticky

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

As said above. I have had a number of different layouts. All suited my situation at the time. My present layout suits my partner and I very well. I am 5'6'' tall and my partner a tad shorter. We have a layout with two 6'1'' front seats that take 3 minutes to remove back cushions and turn into a bed. If one of us has put our feet up and nodded off the other can easily make their bed up. We have a side diner which I find useful for food prep etc. and for eating our meals. End washroom with a nice domestic style shower.

When looking for our latest van we took the keys to loads of vans at dealers, locked ourselves in, kick our shoes off and played house for a while. Trying out lounging, shower space, cooking area and looking at storage etc.

Take your time and have a good look to decide what layout you want.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

we aren't a million miles from you :), I think the first thing to help you long is what are you going to tow with?, wouldn't want to suggest to you anything that you are unable to tow :)

we aren't a million miles from you :), I think the first thing to help you long is what are you going to tow with?, wouldn't want to suggest to you anything that you are unable to tow :)

Great advice. A big dealer near us said we would be absolutely fine, after being told I had NEVER towed, when the towmatch read 98% match and 105% nose weight match !!!!!!.

hi, we bought our first caravan today, we don't get it for a week or so, obviously im not the most experienced, but can offer our experiences of the last couple of weeks.

Firstly, im good for 2. 5t towing, so no issues.

budget, we went out looking at £4-5k, this is not nice, the big dealers don't have any. What we were looking at for that price was scary, scruffy, abused, and often smelly. (our experience)

For £6k, which I consider a lot of money, anything between 02-05, depending on what it is.

The gulf in quality from £6k to £8k is incredible.

What we found most bizarre was the majority of private sales were as expensive as dealers. sometimes accessories inc. sometimes not so much as a battery, depending whether they were upgrading or calling it a day.

I've studied the prices for a few weeks, we've been around every dealer/sales pitch within 50 miles (not joking either!!)looking at lay outs, prices, warranties,blah blah blah.

We decided on a good quality 2 berth, end washroom.

She then decided on a good quality 4 berth with end washroom, so off it went again.

The prices we found were all basically consistent, £1k too much, which didn't take a great deal getting sorted, then the haggling starts.

As ive posted on another thread pics of what we bought today

it really Is like brand new, window price £8450,which we got reduced by £800,and have inc. a starter pack, (all new), battery, wastes, barrels, 2 gas bottles,etc. etc. everything except an awning.

The damp warranty is

year 1;works =to the price paid.

year2; works up to £1000

year3 works up to £500

Internal fixtures 3yrs for breakdown.

To me that sounds good,in practice, hopefully I wont find out.

TBH, fairly stressful at times.

Hope this helps!! Good Luck.

hi, we bought our first caravan today, we don't get it for a week or so, obviously im not the most experienced, but can offer our experiences of the last couple of weeks. Firstly, im good for 2. 5t towing, so no issues. budget, we went out looking at £4-5k, this is not nice, the big dealers don't have any. What we were looking at for that price was scary, scruffy, abused, and often smelly. (our experience)For £6k, which I consider a lot of money, anything between 02-05, depending on what it is. The gulf in quality from £6k to £8k is incredible. What we found most bizarre was the majority of private sales were as expensive as dealers. sometimes accessories inc. sometimes not so much as a battery, depending whether they were upgrading or calling it a day. I've studied the prices for a few weeks, we've been around every dealer/sales pitch within 50 miles (not joking either!!)looking at lay outs, prices, warranties,blah blah blah. We decided on a good quality 2 berth, end washroom. She then decided on a good quality 4 berth with end washroom, so off it went again. The prices we found were all basically consistent, £1k too much, which didn't take a great deal getting sorted, then the haggling starts. As ive posted on another thread pics of what we bought todayit really Is like brand new, window price £8450,which we got reduced by £800,and have inc. a starter pack, (all new), battery, wastes, barrels, 2 gas bottles,etc. etc. everything except an awning. The damp warranty isyear 1;works =to the price paid. year2; works up to £1000year3 works up to £500Internal fixtures 3yrs for breakdown. To me that sounds good,in practice, hopefully I wont find out. TBH, fairly stressful at times. Hope this helps!! Good Luck.

Seen the pics Greg and I think you got a great van at a good price, . ..I'd buy it at that price especially with all,the extras you got.

Happy times ahead eh, well done

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

From the pics it looks like you have had a result there Greg. Hope its great and you have much enjoyment from it

Our car is a 2ltr Peugeot estate so should not be a problem with most 2 or 4 berth caravans.

Depends on which Peugeot estate you have, is it a 406/407 estate?, and what year?, petrol or diesel?, manual or automatic, with this info I can give you a correct towing figure for your car :)

rthankyou for the info, checking it for you, weirdly though the kerb weight of your car is high, the automatic versions a re restriced to 1300KG max tow, so this will limit you to 2 berth with the odd small 4 berth, though I have 3 2 berths in your price range that you can tow :)