Cris Check And Write Off Categories

budfox

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and new to being a caravan owner (well nearly)!!

We saw a privately owned caravan yesterday, which was lovely and in great condition, and put a small deposit on it. I carried out a CRiS check today and discovered that the van has a Condition Alert Category D! I then called and spoke to CRiS, who advised that it did not require a damage report and this category is just to highlight some minor probable cosmetic damage. After reading a number of scary things on various sites, about owners not being able to part-ex with a dealer and having selling problems, I wondered what your thoughts are on this?

I obviously contacted the current owner, who said they had been unaware of this!? Anyway, they are going to have a full safety inspection carried out this week, by a NCC approved repairer. They have offered to drop the price a little too.

I would really really appreciate your comments and advice on this.

Thank you Tracy :)

Have a damp check done by an independent person.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

For me, I would probably pass it by.

And

:welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

CRiS category info below

http://www. myidealcaravan. co. uk/CRiS. html

The safety check will not include a damp report. Damp in a caravan is our deepest fear so do get a damp check done independently of the safety report.

Timber will typically have up to, say, 15%, even furniture in your own home.

Do come back and ask for advice before you lay out any more cash. We don't all agree but the forum membership extensive.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi Budfox, I agree with the others, there are plenty more vans out there. You should at least get your own report done by an expert. Then either agree a deduction as Caravanmedic says, or ask for your deposit back due to none disclosure of possible faults,,,,,,,,Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Insurance might be a problem.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Insurance won't be a concern on a D Cat write off, it just won't cover the cosmetic damage already claimed for. In my opinion if you can live with or repair yourself the cosmetic damage then a Cat D is a very good buy. They are sometimes written off for a very tiny amount of damage on a ridged panel. ....which a lot of caravans have that haven't been claimed for!

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Cat d is also a stolen caravan and you might find the person selling is not the owner.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

As said, a written off repaired vehicle is only ever worth 75% of the market value, plus you will have issues when it comes to part exchanging it if you decide to at a later date, as a dealer will hit is value hard for this reason, as said, unless is really cheap (which I doubt it is) walk away.