Bretagne Ferry

We been trying to book a crossing to Bilbao or Santander for the end of December to first week in January but Brittany Ferry's are full for our dogs! So we are now thinking of going Plymouth to Roscoff has any been on the Bretagne? Is roll on roll off or you have to turn on broad? Is you do how did you cope?

She is large vessel. ..does it matter that most of the channel ferries require you to go in a large loop and face the doors again??

I have only once been asked to reverse on any vessel and that was a small Brttany Ferries ship about 15 years ago. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We been trying to book a crossing to Bilbao or Santander for the end of December to first week in January but Brittany Ferry's are full for our dogs! So we are now thinking of going Plymouth to Roscoff has any been on the Bretagne? Is roll on roll off or you have to turn on broad? Is you do how did you cope?

Nice boat, used it this year, rolled on, followed round in a 'U' shape and rolled off. No reversing required.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

iv been on it . ... drove on the back off the front

post-48454-0-92064500-1408902136_thumb.jpg

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion
2009 Compass Corona Club 544

iv been on it . ... drove on the back off the front

attachicon.gifSNV31980. JPG

In that case my memory is wrong. However it was very simple, no reversing.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Surely the Bretagne runs between Portsmouth and St Malo?

It's the Pont Aven that goes out from Roscoff?

HTH

G.

P. S. Been using the Bretagne to St. Malo for many years now and it's definitely Roll on - Roll off!

If you go out from Plymouth in December it will indeed be on "Bretagne" and that ship has kennels on board for dogs. But if you come back on the same route from Roscoff in January it will be on "Armorique" and on that ship dogs have to stay in your vehicle for the journey.

Both ships are drive straight through and unload at the other end.

Edited by moorgate

On the up side the price is about £200. 00 less then going to Santander plus its 12 hours less, which will make up for traveling though France.

I came back from Santander at the end of November 2 years ago to bring our dogs back from Spain. It was supposed to be the Pont Aven but when I arrived at the port it was the Bretagne, plus the route had been changed to Plymouth instead of Portsmouth putting about 2 hours on my return journey, Since I was on a tight schedule i. e. drive up to Yorkshire drop the dogs off at my wife's parents, go home, empty the car and be at Manchester airport for a 04:30 for my flight back to Malaga it was a major inconvenience . I was not towing by the way.

The kennels were disgraceful and I like many of the owners put our dogs back in our cars. Sloping stainless steel floors to allow any urine to flow to a gutter at the front consequently the dogs slide down to the bars at the front when they lay down. The only place they can relieve themselves in on the quarterdeck which has a steel deck. If you have a dog that is adverse to getting it legs splashed when it takes leak then your are looking a period in excess of 24 hours for them to hold it in.

If I were contemplating taking my dog to France/Spain I would go via the tunnel and do the extra miles rather than subject my dog to that experience again.

I did not know what I expected but it was not that.

My preference would be to take the tunnel next year but my 8 year old wants to go on a ferry and sleep on it so it looks like Portsmouth to St Malo

Edited by Lee21

Lee21. I'm afraid that for me it's well over a thousand miles extra driving from here to Brittany and back via the tunnel compared with the ferry. If any dog of mine didn't like it on the Roscoff ferry he could stay at home. I wouldn't drive an extra thousand miles for the sake of an animal.

Lee21. I'm afraid that for me it's well over a thousand miles extra driving from here to Brittany and back via the tunnel compared with the ferry. If any dog of mine didn't like it on the Roscoff ferry he could stay at home. I wouldn't drive an extra thousand miles for the sake of an animal.

I agree. .. ours now goes to the wife parents and we fly to Malaga or Gibraltar. When I took the animals down there I went Portsmouth to Caen about 8 years ago and they had to stay in the car which was no big deal other than the 151/2 hour drive to Marbella. When we moved back from Spain I thought I would cut down on the driving but I was shocked at how bad the Kennels were it was not a case of whether my dog liked it or not

Now that the fast ferry is (nearly) over for this year, we go on the slow, either to St Malo or Caen. The dog stays in the car, in a cage. I go down to the car at about 22h, but so far I've not had to do anything other than settle the dog again.

One mild complaint; the cost of the passage for the dog. I'm on the Brittany saver scheme, and off season the dog is as much as the car.

Tim

l would drive any distance to ensure the well being of my dogs . ... thats part and parcel of looking after them properly.

Paul

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion
2009 Compass Corona Club 544

We go to Spain with our dogs because we love walking with them, it would be a lot cheaper to fly down no trouble coming back seeing a vet etc.

We are still looking round and now may go Poole to Cherbourg daily sailings, only £180. 00 fast 8. 30 to 13. 45. Its about 40 miles more then going from Roscoff we the need to found a site open all year about 3 to 4 hours from Cherbourg, we are the making our way down to Bendorm so we will be looking for a route with not too many tolls, our maps are at present in our caravan will pop over and collect them soon.

I think the Bretange is the best of the bunch, with regards to on board facilities and it is very stable in bad weather. Our lab has travelled on this ship approx 10 or 12 times and has always stopped in the car. (there were no kennels on board when he first went over).

I would never use the kennels, as our dog feels secure in the car, and sometimes will not get out if he has'nt travelled far enough.

We always travel overnight so he is ready for a nights sleep, after the drive from the North East, and always come back via Caen on the way back. I have gone down to check on him and he is always fast asleep. The only thing that I have a concern about is one time coming back on one of the older ships, it was warm on the car decks and I always leave plenty of water in the car, although he never drinks it.

I cant see the difference overnighting in the car on the ferry and going via the tunnel, as the dog is still in the car, unless you are stopping en route overnight.

Now that the fast ferry is (nearly) over for this year, we go on the slow, either to St Malo or Caen. The dog stays in the car, in a cage. I go down to the car at about 22h, but so far I've not had to do anything other than settle the dog again.

One mild complaint; the cost of the passage for the dog. I'm on the Brittany saver scheme, and off season the dog is as much as the car.

Tim

Whats the BF saver scheme, is it the Club Voyager or something different?

Edited by ian16527

I came back from Santander at the end of November 2 years ago to bring our dogs back from Spain. It was supposed to be the Pont Aven but when I arrived at the port it was the Bretagne, plus the route had been changed to Plymouth instead of Portsmouth putting about 2 hours on my return journey, Since I was on a tight schedule i. e. drive up to Yorkshire drop the dogs off at my wife's parents, go home, empty the car and be at Manchester airport for a 04:30 for my flight back to Malaga it was a major inconvenience . I was not towing by the way.

The kennels were disgraceful and I like many of the owners put our dogs back in our cars. Sloping stainless steel floors to allow any urine to flow to a gutter at the front consequently the dogs slide down to the bars at the front when they lay down. The only place they can relieve themselves in on the quarterdeck which has a steel deck. If you have a dog that is adverse to getting it legs splashed when it takes leak then your are looking a period in excess of 24 hours for them to hold it in.

If I were contemplating taking my dog to France/Spain I would go via the tunnel and do the extra miles rather than subject my dog to that experience again.

I did not know what I expected but it was not that.

My preference would be to take the tunnel next year but my 8 year old wants to go on a ferry and sleep on it so it looks like Portsmouth to St Malo

As I have mentioned in another thread Eurotunnel is a great option for dog owners. Not only can you stay with them for the journey but it only takes 35 minutes. Yes it's not the most convenient entry point into France and you have more miles to do but it is worth it to me. Plus both sides have a huge dog exercise area that your dog can use prior to boarding.

Could you not persuade your 8 year old to have a different adventure in a train under the sea, our kids (now 28 and 31) used to love it.

Edited by The Dog House

Martin. ..........

Yes, it's the Club Voyager. Only 14 years at 8 times a year and I've still forgotten what it's called!

I've been on the Bretagne a number of times and on a number of crossings ( Plymouth-Roscoff, Plymouth-St Malo and Plymouth-Santander ).

The first time was when it was new ( 1990 I think ) and we were in our cars for around an hour at Plymouth waiting to disembark. The doors wouldn't open.

It's a great ferry and drive on and off with no reversing. The Pont Aven is marginally better but newer. Sorry I can't comment on the kennels.

If you want a discount code send me a pm

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral