Alde Compared To Truma

Scaramanga

I will soon be getting my first van that is equipped with the Alde heating system. My previous vans have had Truma.

Now i believe from what i hear the heating is better but what about the hot water system? Does the Alde system still have a hot water tank? If so what kind of capacity?

Ooops and looks like i should of put this post in the heating section

Edited by Scaramanga

I am sure someone can give you an accurate answer as all I can say is yes it does. All I know is that we can get two showers out of ours in quick succession and still have hot water to wash up. Also there is a booster you can run if it isn't heating the water up quickly enough which we have only used when we forgot to switch it on when arriving on site.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

http://www. alde. co. uk/faq. php#faq1-5

I was going to put the number in here but I'm too lazy ;)

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I never realised that we were so economical with our water in the shower :o

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We would never go back to Truma after 12 months with Alde. Brilliant and loads of hot water. We too get two showers out of it in the morning.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Totally agree with the comments, would never go back to any blown air system. If you do any touring in the autumn or winter months you will love your new van :).

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

The only 'downside' with the Alde is when you arrive on site and the temperature outside is below freezing and the van itself is very cold. The Alde is heating the fabric of the van, under bunks etc, washroom as well as the main living area. However once up to temperature it is great in that we find the van is evenly warm and maintains its set temperature well. Also have found that even over Christmas 1kw has maintained the heat with the boiler cutting in and out as needed. We have the radiator in the washroom turned up so that it always tends to be slightly warmer than the main van in cold weather - perhaps we are nesh.

In very cold conditions I put the Alde on at 1kw and put a fan heater on to quickly warm up the main living space. We always carry the small fan heater for emergencies and only expect to use it on initial set up in the coldest of weather.

When we first had it I thought 'fancy carrying the extra weight of the heating fluid and having more to go wrong' Now we have it I am a convert.

The booster when used cuts in for 20 mins I think and raises the actual temperature of the water being heated thereby making the store go farther.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

When we go away in the winter we warm the van up before we go by putting the heating on for a couple of hours so it's nice and toasty when we arrive. If you really are concerned about it taking another half an hour or so to warm up then a fan heater will give you the initial boost. Bailey vans have a 3kw immersion so it's pretty quick anyway

We even decanted ourselves to the van last year when we had a 12 hour power cut - heating on gas - it was cosier in there than in the house.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Although I like the Alde having used it now over 3 years, I do think any simple heating system would still meet our requirements. As easyt we also take a heater but to boost the shower room temperature for showing.

We just don't use the caravan intentionally in cold weather, so the heating is really only on during the start and finish of the year.

The fluid needs changing as well usually after two years, I DIY but it still cost me around £60 and around 3 hours to change to 5 year fluid.

Edited by xtrailman