Build Quality Poll

LongTimeCaravaner

Some years ago the CC ran a poll among its members as to who owned what make of caravan and how they rated the quality of it and would they buy that make again. Does anyone know if there is a modern day equivalent?

I have been looking through Caravan Talk and a brand I had discounted because of what I perceived to be poor build actually got two awards in the CT awards for 2013 so I realise how easy it is to be swayed by a few disgruntled owners.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Forums are always a good place to hear about peoples complaints about various make of caravan, you very rarely get a lot of postings praising makers, it is the way forums are !!!

Compared to the number of caravans made and the number of postings giving bad press, there must be a much larger percentage of owners who are happy with their chosen vans, you just don't hear about them.

With any make you take a chance, unfortunately, as build quality does vary considerably due to all kinds of external influences.

As far as I know there has not been another more recent evaluation of the situation, so it is still a case of examining very carefully before parting with any cash

Something that interests me is how build quality clearly varies between caravans of exactly the same brand and style, never mind across different brands! I reckon I have heard horror stories about most makes and styles, there really is an element of pot luck in it. But Brecon is right, there must be a huge majority of people who are very pleased with their vans

This happened to mine last year and on close inspection I found that a water pipe had been chewed at by what could only have been a mouse. This was our first outing of the year and when I connected the water it soaked the carpet. After I fixed the water pipe I sealed all the gaps with expanding foam.

I hope you realise not to seal all gaps, as some are there for a purpose. One I can think of is gas and in the event of a leak, as its heavier than air it needs to escape through vent holes in the floor, so if you need to stop vermin then a decent bit of chicken wire or the like would be better.

Not only to allow gas to escape but also to provide sufficient ventilation to the van when left unattended.

I wonder if those owners who complain of excessive condensation have blocked up all the manufacturer-designed floor vent holes. ..

Tony