Hitch

dave coe

I can push in towing head on caravan to put on brakes, but when I let go head flies out to standing position with a bang, definitely not slowly or gradually. Is it my damper that has died, don't want to buy one unecessarily but when towing lots of banging and clonking when braking and pulling away.

yes it sounds like it, but will wait for more answers

Towing with 2. 0 darkside mk3 Ford Focus hatch named the Naked Turtle, towing a 1993 Abi Jubilee Emperor Named Michelle

yes it sounds like it, but will wait for more answers

I'll second that diagnosis. Replacement is quite straightforward and should cost around £50 or £60 depending upon the rating.

Gordon.

PS.

Trevorray posted just before me, so I'll now "third" that diagnosis ;)

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Check if it has a grease nipple. If so try pushing some in as the grease does tend to slow it down somewhat.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I had a faulty damper on my old van, the brakes locked up ripping the shoes off and jamming the drums, luckily I was on a B road and not a motorway. A usual warning if your damper is on the way out are your caravan brakes snatching.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!