Cadac Replacment

hfturbo

Hi,

looking to replace my cadac, which is heavy, can only be used outside and in my humble opinion for my needs an overpriced frying pan.

looking at one of these . ....

http://www. argos. co. uk/static/Product/partNumber/9146635. htm

any thoughts?

Paul

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion
2009 Compass Corona Club 544

It looks very good. ..BUT I've never been a one for multi use items, thats just me of course,I agree about the cadac but the electrical things don't do to well here as most of the campsites only do 6 amps and we usualy have to juggle to cook on electric.

I would consider it if more power was available

Edited by lute

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Cadacs dont have to be heavy and bulky.

Buy yourself a Safari Chef

But they are. .... I only take legs bottom pan and pialla pan (in effect a expensive large frying pan) and a camping gaz 907 to run it off, a lot of stuff for what is a big frying pan.

looked at safari chef simiIar to a small camping gaz party grill I have, but want to have the option of cooking in the awning.

Paul

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion

Hi,

Left the Cadac at home and bought a Cobb BBQ it weighs a fraction of the Cadac uses a miserly amount of fuel that can be purchased in virtually any country. It is not instant as gas BBQ's are but with such a small amount of charcoal to light it's ready to cook in around 15 minutes.

Like the Cadac the Cobb most definitely cannot be used indoors but if the sun is shinning who wants to? :)

I like the idea of the M/R Multi Cooker but on some of the sites we use in Spain and Portugal we would struggle with the power requirements.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

Also, the Cobb is actually a barbeque. It's not a portable gas hob.

Hfturbo, so what will all the men stand around with their beers, look daft standing around your Morphy Richards!

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Hfturbo, so what will all the men stand around with their beers, look daft standing around your Morphy Richards!

not if its rainning and we are cosy in the awning. ... they will be glad of it lol

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion

I love my cadac but it is the old model and definitely heavy. I get much more use out of my multi cooker using it inside or out. Both of mine are non stick and using wooden/plastic utensils they stay that way. Have used the slow cooker insert but now leave it at home to save weight.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

But they are. .... I only take legs bottom pan and pialla pan (in effect a expensive large frying pan) and a camping gaz 907 to run it off, a lot of stuff for what is a big frying pan.

looked at safari chef simiIar to a small camping gaz party grill I have, but want to have the option of cooking in the awning.

Paul

Yes we too only take what we need - the legs, the burner, the paella pan and the lid. We tend to use our spare Calor Lite.

It is and always has been just a large gas burner but imho is invaluable for cooking all the smelly stuff outside of our pristine caravan ! In fact just last weekend we cooked a paella for 6 on a CL ! Marvellous !

I love it and wouldn't be without it. But each to their own. ..... ;)

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

When we had a van without an oven, I bought a multi cooker from Makro in a sale, under the Geroge Foreman branding. It had the grill bit at the bottom like a standard GF grill, but had a removable pan to sit over this and the lid closed over, which was heated as well. Great little device and we cooked a small chicken in the pan often.

When we sold the van, I chucked it out, but wish I had kept it. Never seen anything like it since, but there is more modern one on Amazon

Agree with Shirl. We often just use ours with Pawlla pan to cook stuff outside I just wouldn't want to cook inside van or awning .

Dinner was some German pork we brought before we left with some Herman salami, onions. Garlic and potatoes and some green tomorrow's we bought here in French Carrefour

Edited by sunshinetours

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Agree with Shirl. We often just use ours with Pawlla pan to cook stuff outside I just wouldn't want to cook inside van or awning .

Dinner was some German pork we brought before we left with some Herman salami, onions. Garlic and potatoes and some green tomorrow's we bought here in French Carrefour

I agree much better to cook outside and not in the van ( especially bacon and the like)..... but i still like to eat when its raining

Paul

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion

I agree much better to cook outside and not in the van ( especially bacon and the like).....

Why?

That's what the extractor is for.

Tony

Even with doors, fan and windows open, it still stinks in the van after cooking burgers or sausages etc.

outside every time with the cadac for us, as long as it ain't raining.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

Must admit our Cadac is heavy and we only ever use the Skottle for the likes of stir frys, never BBQ type grill or use the frying pan so the other parts just sit in my shed, bit of a waste.

For grilling the likes of bacon, steak, sausages, mushrooms etc, well that gets done either outside or in the awning with a side zipped down on our George Forman grill, similar power requirement to the MR unit,

The non smelly stuff gets done on/in the caravan cooker.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

So do you always cook outside when at home?

Clearly not the same as domestic situation is much better kitted out. No extractor on our van we just get outside as much as possible for a more "authentic" camping experience ;)

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Oh, I don't want an authentic camping experience - that's why we got rid of the tent and bought a van. We don't want to use someone else's showers either, that's why we bought a van with a shower that we use daily. And a decent cooker and hob, and spacious washroom, and fixed bed, and two TVs. .. :)

Tony

Why?

That's what the extractor is for.

Tony

not worried about the smell and i do cook in the van but breakfasts cooked the way i like them ie in cooking oil are messy events and i find it much easier outside and seems to taste better too.

I dont often cook outside at home and doin so when away makes a nice change.

caravanning is a camping experience and in no way can be compared to stopping in a house or hotel no matter how posh the van.

Paul

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion

• 9 months later...

Hi, its up to you of course but the new cadac is far lighter and a bit smaller than the chef, we use our cadac most nights from the grill to the wok, we do breakfast on it and that cannot be bettered, have a look at the new one its the same thing only lighter and i think better