Hi I'm New To Caravaning And Need Help

jen68

Hi we have a 1999 sterling eccles moonstone and its our first van we had a bulb out and when we replaced it all the roof lights went out and the extractor fan wont work

we have checked and replaced fuses and this still has not fixed it. Also the battery doesnt seem to be charging as ghe voltage indicator is not working

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome.

What sort of new bulb did you fit? 240V or 12V?

There is possibly a fuse between the battery and the charger. Often it is hidden away and you have to chase the wires to find it.

I assume you are on site with electrical hookup, the mains is on and you have switched to Charger On if there is such a switch.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi Jen welcome, do you have MCB's fitted on your van,? ours are in the wardrobe, maybe you've tripped one when you put the new bulb in.

Edited by F185

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Good call F185 :)

Graham

You wouldn't trip an MCB by changing a bulb! MCB's are only on the 230v electrics. It's more likely to be a faulty fitting or changing the bulb with the power (12v) supply on. Check the 12v fuses.

Do you have a multimeter to test the battery & charging system?

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

May sound daft, but is the bulb in the right way?

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

1st i would remove the bulb disconnect mains input and one side of your on board battery give it 5 to 10 minutes then reconnect the battery and test your other lights etc, then if ok back on with the 240v and see if the charger is okay if so. Either the bulb is wrong or faulty.

If when you put the battery back on the other lights are still off as wispMan suggested look for a main in line fuse leading from the battery wiring.

Let's know how you get on

Hi thanks for all your replys we have replaced all the fuses and still roof lights and extractor fan notvworking we are not on a site we have just bought the van and still trying to work out everything we are stumped

We have took battery off for now and charging it in the house we used the mains lead to try lights but still no joy.

Start from the beginning; which bulb did you replace ?

hawkaye :beardy:

Is it possible a wire has been pulled off the back of the fitting? Although you've checked the fuses, rooflights and an extractor fan sounds like a circuit fault - either a fuse or a disconnected wire.

hawkaye :beardy:

Thanks sorry for late reply had to cook dinned will try that and let you know

Jen did you check the MCB's? I've just checked on mine and I have a MCB that serves the lights, fridge and charger and maybe the extractor fan works off the light circuit. If everything was ok before you changed the bulb it may be that the light fitting was faulty and by putting a new bulb in you've blown something, if you've already checked the fuses and they're ok then maybe just maybe you've tripped the breaker. ...worth a look

Whatever the fault it has to be something fundamental. It's either a fuse or an MCB or (probably more likely in these circumstances) faulty wiring in the vicinity of the light fitting.

We have checked the wire but still nothing

The light didnt trip the breaker switch the other lights just went off the battery charger indicator went from the green area to the red area

What is the mcb ?

Sorry blonde moment I know what the mcb is this thing has my head done in

As I think you now realise ( :) ) MCB is the breaker - sometimes called a trip - stands for Miniature Circuit Breaker

Graham

If your not sure Jen, here's a pic of ours it's located in the bottom of the wardrobe although yours maybe somewhere else, but as my vans around about the same age as yours it's probably the same type.

post-68970-0-95622100-1408897119_thumb.jpg

Jen,

attached is a Technical Handbook with the circuit diagrams for Swift/Eccles 2000 vans. http://assets. swiftgroup. co. uk/uploads/HandBooks/caravans/2000%20Tourer%20Tech%20Handbooks/9830009%20Sterling%20Service%20Book%202000. pdf The 1999 circuit is not that different.

Your van has a power unit and this has 8 spade type fuses and three MCB's ( you now know what a MCB is) There is another fuse box with 9 fuses on the front wall of the van in normally the off side bed locker. These fuses protect the road light, fridge on tow and battery charge circ uits when connected to the car. There is another 20 amp YELLOW fuse located in the RED wire from the battery. This yellow fuse is sometimes tucked under the battery box inside the van. You need to check the fuses in the ESM and find the yellow fuse in battery lead. The MCBs play no part in the supply of 12v to the 12 v equipment in your van. The three MCBs protect the Fridge, Wall lights usually two at the front above the seats, the water heater and the space heater along with the charger edit (All on the 230 volt circuits.)

Check out the spade fuses in the ESM with a meter. A fuse can look good but be blown.

Edited by b4bill

Jen did you check the MCB's? I've just checked on mine and I have a MCB that serves the lights, fridge and charger and maybe the extractor fan works off the light circuit. If everything was ok before you changed the bulb it may be that the light fitting was faulty and by putting a new bulb in you've blown something, if you've already checked the fuses and they're ok then maybe just maybe you've tripped the breaker. ...worth a look

As someone said the breakers ONLY work on the mains so there is no way a tripped breaker would stop the fan working as they ALWAYS run off 12V.

In addition to what others have said the fan usually has its own fuse, so if there is no fan or lights it would suggest you have no 12V - period.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

As someone said the breakers ONLY work on the mains so there is no way a tripped breaker would stop the fan working as they ALWAYS run off 12V.

In addition to what others have said the fan usually has its own fuse, so if there is no fan or lights it would suggest you have no 12V - period.

Ok ok I'm only making suggestions no need to shout, all this info is ok provided no one has messed around with it in the past, the vans 15 years old who knows who's made alterations to the electrics.

I only suggested the MCB's as in the past I've been stumped when I had no power to my lights, checked fuses etc but turned out to be a tripped switch --end of.

We must assume that the van electrical circuits have not been modified, given its age, by a previous owner. If it has been then no amount of advice on here will resolve the problem, all suggestions would be speculative and not based on sound fault finding techniques.

I believe that Woodentop rather than shouting was setting the record straight emphasising that to avoid confusion by less experienced members that MCBs do not control 12volt circuits and that extractor fans are operated by 12v in Caravans.

please dont argue about it. we have decided to give up and get someone out to look at it. we have checked all the sockets, fridge and bulk lights are all working its just the roof lights and pelmet lights that are not working and the extractor fan so it looks like we have no 12v i have looked for a another mcb in the van and couldnt find one we replaced the fuses you told us to check and they are all replaced.

i just want to thank you all for all your help if anyone has any other ideas we will try them until we get time to get someone to look at it

thanks again

jen

I think getting a pro in who knows what they're doing is the right decision Jen, keep us posted and let us know what the outcome was

Jen,
I have no interest in arguing but you are not reading what is written.
MCBs have nothing to do with your problem. CaravanMedic advised this at post number 5. So looking for another one somewhere in the van is pointless. There isn't one. Look at the circuit diagrams I gave you the link to. There are three in the van all located at the Power supply unit which someone else advised was located in the wardrobe.
If all other 12 volt lights and facilities were working before you replaced a 12 volt bulb then the answer has to be a fuse somewhere or the light fitting you replaced the bulb in.
It will be interesting to hear what the Professional finds . My money is on the 20 amp fuse in the battery line.

Good Luck. !