Fitting A Towel Heater

Daveg

Hi

I have just bought a new 70 w towel rail heater to instal in bathroom .

I comes with a plug which i think is useless so i want to run cable through wall behind bed head, under bed and instal a fused switch . My question is can i use a supply cable from socket that is already there to supply power to switch . ( ie can i spur of another socket ) and what size cable ??/

Thanks

Dave

Car -- VW Passat Tech   Estate 
Caravan -- 2019 Elddis Affinity 

Draws maybe 1/3 amp assuming 240V and not 12V.

So multistranded 1. 0 mm squared would do.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi

I have just bought a new 70 w towel rail heater to instal in bathroom .

I comes with a plug which i think is useless so i want to run cable through wall behind bed head, under bed and instal a fused switch . My question is can i use a supply cable from socket that is already there to supply power to switch . ( ie can i spur of another socket ) and what size cable ??/

Thanks

Dave

You'll be fine spuring off the existing socket. 2 amp fuse in the fused spur will be good.

As said above, yes no problem.

Here are some images of my installation which is exactly how you describe:

post-65646-0-13267300-1408823372_thumb.jpg

post-65646-0-60168100-1408823372_thumb.jpg

post-65646-0-84132200-1408823372_thumb.jpg

post-65646-0-39175500-1408823372_thumb.jpg

post-65646-0-60091700-1408823371_thumb.jpg

Tony

That looks really good, what make of towel rail is it?

Agreed - great bit of kit - that would solve our problem of damp towels and how to dry them when you don't want the caravan heater (Trumar) blowing full pelt.

What where and how much would be useful :)

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

I found it on Amazon: http://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/aw/d/B00AE9PIWW/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?qid=1408869557&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

The reasons I chose it were price, weight (weighs hardly anything - at a guess less than a pound), compactness and the brushed aluminium finish which matched the other Bailey figments.

Works well.

Tony

Figments? There goes autocorrect again!

I found it on Amazon: http://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/aw/d/B00AE9PIWW/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?qid=1408869557&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

The reasons I chose it were price, weight (weighs hardly anything - at a guess less than a pound), compactness and the brushed aluminium finish which matched the other Bailey figments.

Works well.

Tony

Wow, excellent price and the spec looks ideal, I'll order one when I get home.

I would run the standard 16 amp cable from a powerpoint to a fused outlet as a spur, then the wire that comes with the towel warmer from the spur.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I would run the standard 16 amp cable from a powerpoint to a fused outlet as a spur, then the wire that comes with the towel warmer from the spur.

See the 3rd image in my post above - that's exactly what I did.

As said above, yes no problem.

Here are some images of my installation which is exactly how you describe:

attachicon.gifphoto 2. JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 4. JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 5. JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 3. JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 1. JPG

Tony

Nice job Tony same layout /manufacturer as mine too

Car -- VW Passat Tech   Estate 
Caravan -- 2019 Elddis Affinity 

Works well.

Tony

Thanks - looks like a top item on my winter modifications list. My (Avocet) shower room is quite a different layout but I "think" I can fit it under the window instead of the existing hand-towel rail and as there is a boxed in service-way at the bottom there should be no problems getting the power sorted.

Jim

Also just spotted it on eBay

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/ws/eBayISAPI. dll?ViewItem&item=350656396220&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Just a bit cheaper.

Edited by JamesF

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)