Great Holiday But Hailstone Damage

Ondaroadagain

Had a great 4 weeks in France but unfortunately suffered from Hailstone damage on the roof.

First question is can this be repaired or do I need to get the roof panel replaced?

the caravan is a 2012 sterling Eccles sport.

How much would it be to get

1 repaired

2 replace

What would you do? repair replace or just get a pay out?

I have a Mercedes 220 CDI AMG SPORT and following closely behind is a sterling 564 Sport 2012, I live in France and spend loads and loads of time in campsites.

Get it fixed on insurance, A 2012 caravan must be insured shurely?

Honda CRV 2009 & Bailey Pageant Bordeaux S7, 2008

Its is Insured fully of course.

Its just that Im in france and dealers I would of thougtt wouldnt touch it here.

I have a Mercedes 220 CDI AMG SPORT and following closely behind is a sterling 564 Sport 2012, I live in France and spend loads and loads of time in campsites.

Contact your insurers and get their advice on the best course of action.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

• 2 weeks later...

Update***

Just had the assesor out and he says the insurance wont replace the roof, as the caravan will not be intergraly sound afterwards.

He did say that they can put an epoxy resin over the roof and repaint it.

or put a weaved sheet over it and paint it.

Is this how they repair caravans in the UK?

Update***

Just had the assesor out and he says the insurance wont replace the roof, as the caravan will not be intergraly sound afterwards.

He did say that they can put an epoxy resin over the roof and repaint it.

or put a weaved sheet over it and paint it.

Is this how they repair caravans in the UK?

Not sure why the assessor would say that, unless of course they are constructed differently to Coachman (floating skin) we had our roof replaced after our trip to France 2 years ago at the factory, it is better now than it was new, a lot tighter.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

I feel for you. Had the same issue in the Pyrenees last year. I didn't go ahead with the claim after talking with my dealer and assessing the amount of works needed. I felt that the small cosmetic damage could be put up with. Issues such as leaks from having the front and roof replaced would have bothered me. Dealer told me that he doesn't look at the top of a van when it goes in for part exchange. Indeed, when I asked him to look at the van, at first he couldn't see any problem until I pointed it out to him. He wasn't bothered so I dropped the claim. I wouldn't out up with what the assessor has said though, sounds like a badged job to me. Your options should be either put up with it, replace the roof and if not, ask for it to be declared a write off and get the new for old on your policy.

Caravanless. ...

We had the same problem with our last van - two years old and new front, roof, back and one side. Bailey did a good job and we then had no worries when we came to sell.

We did have about 200 dents on the roof though and about 25 on one side. Bailey had to replace front and back as they said they would be damaged whilst removing the roof.

If I had intended to keep the van for quite a few years I might have left it as it didn't leak and there is always the danger that a repair may be worse than the original