Bosch Folding Solar

Apologies if it's been coverd before.

Last week whilst off grid I noticed that the battery appeared to be getting flatter without any top up from the Bosch Folding Solar Panel, (2 years old). We have a good controller in the van so it is wired up direct to that not via the controller built into the panel, but using the original bosch wire.

Check the output from the panel. OK. Check the function of the Controller OK. check all the plugs and connections all OK. Check the continuity of the lead from the panel to the van. Negative OK Positive showing a break in the wire.

Visual examination of the wire appeared perfect. Not cuts etc. So resorted to peeling back the black outer. It is a two core cable with black PVC outer and both inner wires insulated one red, positive, and one green negative. about 6 inches in I found that the insulation on both the inner cores was breaking down and the positive lead had degraded to such an extent that the wire core had parted. Never seen anything quite like it and the red insulation material was like a bit of putty almost. Green not much better.

Binned it and replaced with some 2 core we had around. Back up and working perfectly. So if you have a bosch folding panel that stops working check the long lead to the van first.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I replaced all the wire that came with ours with substantial wire (motor mover cable) :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Binned it and replaced with some 2 core we had around.

Apologies for being blunt, but there's you're problem, you have taken one piece of bad wire and replaced with something you had lying around, the wire from a solar panel is specific wire made for the job. The original wire obviously wasn't up to the job, and i will stick my neck out and say it because your panel isn't a Bosch, it's a Chinese panel (they all are) with a Bosch sticker on it and cheap horrible wiring on it.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Apologies for being blunt, but there's you're problem, you have taken one piece of bad wire and replaced with something you had lying around, the wire from a solar panel is specific wire made for the job. The original wire obviously wasn't up to the job, and i will stick my neck out and say it because your panel isn't a Bosch, it's a Chinese panel (they all are) with a Bosch sticker on it and cheap horrible wiring on it. In the interest of

In the interest of brevity I did not expand on the fact that the wiring I used for the Lash up was suitable. In fact very expensive Oxygen free low loss etc. Of no interest to anyone I assumed. More than capable and displays no measurable loss from panel to controller. As far as origin being concerned It says Bosch, came from a proper dealer, and all the other wiring is of a high standard. The rest of the main lead has now been exposed for my own curiosity and appears a high quality cable. Just the short length that was degraded.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)