St Valery Sur Somme To Eperlecque Route

Part of my trip starting next week involves travelling from Domaine de Drancourt, St Valery sur Somme to Chateau de Gandspette, Eperleque. Most route planners suggest the A16 autoroute back to Calais and then down to Eperlecque. I have noticed the D928 is a more direct route although a slower road. This road goes around St Omer to join the D300.

Does anyone have experience of this road and its' suitability for towing?

many thanks

Brian

Brian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of my trip starting next week involves travelling from Domaine de Drancourt, St Valery sur Somme to Chateau de Gandspette, Eperleque. Most route planners suggest the A16 autoroute back to Calais and then down to Eperlecque. I have noticed the D928 is a more direct route although a slower road. This road goes around St Omer to join the D300.

Does anyone have experience of this road and its' suitability for towing?

many thanks

Brian

Most of the roads in that area are ok for towing, but obviously single carriageway and slower than the A16.

I haven't done that exact route but if you wanted to avoid the A16 you could,go up the D1001/901 route nationals that runs alongside it to Montreuil and then cut across to Saint Omer on the D126.

Depends how much time you have to get to your destination.

Edited by ericfield

We regularly use the D928 from Abbeville to St Omer, and it's absolutely no problem towing. BUT if you get behind an agricultural vehicle (and it does go through farming areas) then it can be very slow. However, we still prefer it to going round on the autoroute.

Thanks for the info, I am in no rush on that journey and welcome a relaxed trip taking in the scenery, so I think I will try the D928.

Again thank you both for your replies.

Brian

Brian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year we got stuck behind a convoy exceptionalle of pylons for wind farms which held us up a little but we still found it a very pleasant tow. We were not in a rush as we planned to have an evening picnic by the canal in St Omer before spending the night on the dockside at Dunquerque

I'm glad to hear others use that route! We find it very pleasant, and on 'shopping days' there's a LIDL and an ALDI both very accessible to caravans, plus there's a cheap fuel place too!

Yes - I'm a D928 fan as well. Maybe we've been lucky as we've never encountered any serious hold-ups although the route is well used by HGVs.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution