How Do You Store Your Water Pump

Pierre19

Hi all . .... whilst away, last week-end, our pump started to leak from the housing end . ...

. .... had a spare, so put thgat one on . .... just had a look at it, and thought that the jubille clip had come loose, so crimped it up . ... but no . ... still water pouring out . ... so stripped it down . ...

what a load of gunk in the tube, so cleaned it in some milton . .... and YES there is a crack in the tube . ... where we fold it up and put in the sink basin . ... for travelling . .....so after 3½ years of folding it has split . ....

Might store it straight . ... from now on . ....

Cheers

Pete

Oh . ... just ordered a new length of Food Grade tube . ..... off flea-bay . ....

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Pete, we store ours exactly the same as you - folded in the bowl which lives in the sink when travelling. I will keep an eye on it!

Thanks for posting.

Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Yep! me too stored in the sink so it can drain out completely. Always flush water system every year with Milton, keeps the system nice and clean!

As the others, in the sink. Have always done the same and never had problems in any caravan we've owned. (and the CC tell me we've been members for 20 years, on our new cards).

Probably some recent EU directive based on Elfin safety that removed some plasticisers in the tube so making them more brittle over time. Or the makers have latched onto another 'planned obsolescence' scam. ;)

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Probably some recent EU directive based on Elfin safety that removed some plasticisers in the tube so making them more brittle over time. Or the makers have latched onto another 'planned obsolescence' scam. ;)

Rodders you are probably right.

Still, £4. 00 for a new tube and a couple of juniper clips, it's not an expensive fix.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pierre19

Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

. ..a couple of juniper clips. ..

Autocorrect - your worst enema. ..

Autocorrect - your worst enema. ..

. ... posted on a new tablet . ... just getting use to the predictive . ..

Pete

(and the CC tell me we've been members for 20 years, on our new cards).

Hello newby . . welcome to the club :rolleyes:

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I thought it was European law that you had to store it in the sink. ...

:ph34r:

Trevor.

Mines in a washing up bowl in the gas locker

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

We keep ours in the washing up bowl and up till this year it had travelled happily. However, one day in France no water was coming through - I discovered that the spigot coming out of the pump, to which the hose attaches, had snapped. Fortunately there was enough left to attach the hose precariously. I'll be turning a stainless steel sleeve to fit inside it when other pressing jobs are done. .....

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

I thought it was European law that you had to store it in the sink. ...

:ph34r:

No . . it is a sensible idea

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Mine travels in a bucket in the front locker. Loosely draped over - half in and half out. Never had a problem

I feel bad now that I don't keep it in the sink!!

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Mine travels in a bucket in the front locker. Loosely draped over - half in and half out. Never had a problem

I feel bad now that I don't keep it in the sink!!

Same here Easy T . .. it never entered my head to take it round and into the van . .. just remove it and keep in left side of front locker, ready to go back on next time.

Just because the manufacturer put it there when the van was new, doesn't mean it has to live there forever (otherwise my step would have to go under the bed everytime I travelled!)

John

Edited by Johnaldo

All my caravans have been second hand and they all had it in the bowl in the sink.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Same here Easy T . .. it never entered my head to take it round and into the van . .. just remove it and keep in left side of front locker, ready to go back on next time.

Just because the manufacturer put it there when the van was new, doesn't mean it has to live there forever (otherwise my step would have to go under the bed everytime I travelled!)

John

I can't believe you don't!!!

Trevor.

Mine always goes in the locker as that is where it was when I got the van, never enter my head to put it in the sink, however it does make sense now it has been pointed out. Guess where mine is going from now on.

Mine always goes in the locker as that is where it was when I got the van, never enter my head to put it in the sink, however it does make sense now it has been pointed out. Guess where mine is going from now on.

Hi Digger . ... please read my OP . .... as I'm not suggesting that you keep your pump in the sink . ....

I'm not . .... from now on . .... it's going to live in the shower . ..... and the spare in a cardboard tube . .....

Cheers

Pete

Hi Digger . ... please read my OP . .... as I'm not suggesting that you keep your pump in the sink . ....

I'm not . .... from now on . .... it's going to live in the shower . ..... and the spare in a cardboard tube . .....

Cheers

Pete

I know you are not, but it sounds like most do, and when I think about it, it does make sense. I think you have just been a bit unlucky with yours as mine is rapped up in a plastic bag and put in the locker so no different to what you was doing really, and mine is fine. But you do what suits you best.

Mine lives laid out straight on the worktop between the sink and the wall. The rain cover fits between the tap and the blind to stop it flying all over the caravan. There's always a first time . ..

hawkaye :beardy:

John

Ours goes in the bowl in the sink - but that's not where the manufacturer put in because. ... there wasn't a bowl in the sink.