Workmen Using Caravan Sites

white vanman

I think it's a good idea.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Some sites expressly forbid it and some ban vans with signwriting.

Myself I couldn't care less providing they obey the site rules as everyone else does.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I agree completely with wispman. Live & let live. :);)

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

It is ok until they start driving off site at 6:00-7:00am every morning,

throwing equipment around into their vans.

Then bowling in after 11:00pm having had a few bevvies.

It's great - gives the site revenue an income midweek. Sites cannot survive on the weekend brigade alone.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

My company pay for quality hotels but for longer stretches I would love to use my van but my company will not pay me any allowance at all for this so. .. Hotels it is :(

Mahatma Gandhi

Hi all

I have no problems with this myself. When we stay local we often keep seeing a roofing thatcher on the sites. If it means he and others can expand their working area great. As posted above, also gives the sites more midweek income.

Many thanks

Tom

Carado T135 (Replacing a VW California, replacing a Bailey Pageant Moselle and Nissan Terrano II, replacing a Pennine Fiesta Folding Camper!)

I've no problem with this, great for people who move around with there work.

The only problem I've encounted where people working from the sites, seen a few on the costas, always seem to be northern europeans.

Edited by lute

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Of course there are the workers who are anonymous, they get paid an

allowance for accommodation stays and use a caravan or tent instead.

When there was work on a big project in Cornwall it was cheaper to buy

a caravan and pocket the allowances :D

Unfortunately several contractors finished up and left the caravans behind!

It is ok until they start driving off site at 6:00-7:00am every morning,

throwing equipment around into their vans.

Then bowling in after 11:00pm having had a few bevvies.

you mean like most caravaners, when leaving site packing up early in the morning or coming back from the onsite pub or sitting outside their vans with friends shouting and laughing aloud, no differance if your a working bloke or a noisey family :blush: live and let live

phil

I'd like to know what the OP means by the term "workmen" Are "workmen" males who work?

Ern

Have no problems if same rules apply to them. ............after all the Municipals in France, who stay open out of season, do so for Railway & Power workers etc. ..and are obliged to by Regional Government.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I find it's very common near power stations .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

We knew a chap who used to repair old motor bikes, he used cl sites as his base so he could repair bikes around the country.

He did a few days work and it paid for his holidays

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I've often stayed at the Lee Valley Park site in Edmonton, north London.

There were lots of guys working on the railways / construction who lived on site. All went to work early and I never heard any noise and I was in a tent at the time. No bother at all!

They could be there for months, even years at a time, depending on the contract they were working on.

The site was closed Christmas day and everyone had to leave on Christmas eve, even if it was their only 'home'.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Pulled into a site in France and the site was being used by seasonal fruit pickers,lots of them in tents and old caravans,sorry but they looked very dodgy so we declined and went to another site. Now how many others would do the same as we did ? quite a few I would think and of course we would now cross that site off our list so when the pickers have finished I wonder if the site owners would understand why they had so little visitors.

I think its a good idea, saves money and keeps the sites in use.

The CC site in Welwyn Garden City seems to have quite a few who scuttle off first thing in the morning and come back at knocking off time and no sign of them over the weekend. A lot of them seemed to be commuters in suits as well rather than just hairy herberts with Transit vans.

For those who complain about noisy people first thing in the morning & late at night you should try staying in a marina with a boat - early mornings and late nights can be anywhere between midnight and midnight depending on the tide. As to noise a couple of 400hp diesels idling gently for half an hour before leaving at 3am certainly disturbs your sleep as does a bit of shouting and swearing when picking up or leaving a berth at all hours. I've even been on moorings where boats have thrashed past (despite the speed limits) and actually been chucked out of my bunk. The worst culprits are the fishermen. Some caravan sites are havens of tranquillity in comparison.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Have no problems if same rules apply to them. ............after all the Municipals in France, who stay open out of season, do so for Railway & Power workers etc. ..and are obliged to by Regional Government.

geoff

Is there any link to such obligations? The French are very parochial and sites run by municipalities are unlikely to be controlled by Prefectures or central government.

I'd like to know what the OP means by the term "workmen" Are "workmen" males who work?

Yes.

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

My boss thinks it's great! I have a hotel and meal allowance of roughly £120 per night, I can stay on site for £15-£20 per night, my missus can have a few days hols and we can dine out each night and still have change!

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

My boss thinks it's great! I have a hotel and meal allowance of roughly £120 per night, I can stay on site for £15-£20 per night, my missus can have a few days hols and we can dine out each night and still have change!

Your boss sounds like a very reasonable chap :)

Mahatma Gandhi

When I was staying at the Knareborough site last year there where too ladies who were pitched next to us,who would disappear all day, obviously working somewhere local and I made a usual comments to my Wife, however on the friday night they came over to us and said, would you like these freshly made cakes, apparently there were on a cookery course and were leaving, I could`nt refuse could I, feeling a little guilty.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia