Built In Usb Sockets

thecookster

Have just fitted my two USB sockets at the front of my Sterling Eccles Sport in the two blanking plates that Swift left. Look far nicer than two grey squares and far more practical! Loving it!

post-49266-0-91134900-1408774349_thumb.jpg

post-49266-0-22163400-1408774370_thumb.jpg

Very Nice, where did you get them from and how much, I assume you have connected it up to the 12V system.

What purpose do these USB sockets serve please?

Very Nice, where did you get them from and how much, I assume you have connected it up to the 12V system.

I got them from Kiravans, think they were about £20. .. Thankfully, Swift left a convenient 12V feed under the binnacle, so I utilised that supply. .

What purpose do these USB sockets serve please?

It means I can plug a USB charging cable in and use the 12V system to power/recharge phones etc, or looking at it a different way; given the number of devices we have to charge, we can now charge four at once at the front of the van. ...

I got them from Kiravans, think they were about £20. .. Thankfully, Swift left a convenient 12V feed under the binnacle, so I utilised that supply. .

It means I can plug a USB charging cable in and use the 12V system to power/recharge phones etc, or looking at it a different way; given the number of devices we have to charge, we can now charge four at once at the front of the van. ...

A good idea but I thought the out put from a USB was 5 volt and not 12 volt a battery gives, higher if on mains hook up.

Thankyou cookster for the swift reply, I am looking to do the same in my van, over the winter months, doing some jobs in winter helps keep an eye on the van for any potential water ingress and also helps to keep it aired.

A good idea but I thought the out put from a USB was 5 volt and not 12 volt a battery gives, higher if on mains hook up.

They are connected to the 12V system, but the socket actually outputs 5V, so presume there is some shenanigans going on inside the unit to downrate the voltage. ....

Yes there is a little circuit board inside with everything it needs to reduce the voltage to 5v without getting to technical.

Yes there is a little circuit board inside with everything it needs to reduce the voltage to 5v without getting to technical.

Thought so - electrical magickery is all I need to know. ... :D

Edited by thecookster

That looks a job well done :). With all the smartphones and tablets people use these days manufacturers should look at standard fitting USB ports. Id also like to see the manufacturers who make the sockets(C-Line/CBE) do a HDMI socket. I had to make mine up myself.

I suppose its the price you pay to get the right one to fit the blank socket he had in the van, if you look at the pictures you would never know they wasn't fitted in the factory, he has done a superb job, I, however can go for the cheaper ones as I don't have that problem.

Good idea, was there any problem connecting the power supply, did you have to remove unit/drawers etc. to get access. or was it possible to work from the bottom drawer below the unit.

That looks a job well done :). With all the smartphones and tablets people use these days manufacturers should look at standard fitting USB ports. Id also like to see the manufacturers who make the sockets(C-Line/CBE) do a HDMI socket. I had to make mine up myself.

US RVs come with USB sockets as standard on some 2015 models so I think it is not far away over here.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

it's typical of the British industry always last to catch up with the rest of the world, I have no idea what world they live in, technology is all around us and in our faces you can't tell me they haven't caught on yet. USB is one of the oldest ports and most common one use today. The car industry install them. Oops!! forgot they not British.

Good idea, was there any problem connecting the power supply, did you have to remove unit/drawers etc. to get access. or was it possible to work from the bottom drawer below the unit.

Undid most of the screws that held the binnacle in place, couldn't get the one behind the drawers, then just pulled the 12V wire towards front of van, as it has enough slack. That way, didn't have to worry about the drawers and getting them out etc.

US RVs come with USB sockets as standard on some 2015 models so I think it is not far away over here.

Dave

Swift put them in the higher spec models already, which is why the 12V feed is there already probably. .. As you say, these days, they should be standard.

I suppose its the price you pay to get the right one to fit the blank socket he had in the van, if you look at the pictures you would never know they wasn't fitted in the factory, he has done a superb job, I, however can go for the cheaper ones as I don't have that problem.

It was indeed to get the factory look; also I can take these out if I change the van and they are standard CBE fitting, so will go into any van. ...

Does this kind of work invalid your warranty, I would be very wary if I had a `short` and had to take it back to the dealer, dont think they would look very kindly on my handwork, just a thought.

Edited by Halohodge

it's typical of the British industry always last to catch up with the rest of the world, I have no idea what world they live in, technology is all around us and in our faces you can't tell me they haven't caught on yet. USB is one of the oldest ports and most common one use today. The car industry install them. Oops!! forgot they not British.

I understand that most of the 2015 vans will have a state of the art 5. 1/4" floppy drive.

360kB ! :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Does this kind of work invalid your warranty, I would be very wary if I had a `short` and had to take it back to the dealer, dont think they would look very kindly on my handwork, just a thought.

As the supply is fused, it wouldn't do any harm and besides, I can easily remove with no worries and restore to factory defaults. ... I think If it was going to do anything it would have done it by now!

I understand that most of the 2015 vans will have a state of the art 5. 1/4" floppy drive.

360kB ! :)

:goodpost::goodpost:

Wow!! I can't wait to see the new vans if this technology is going to be the standard for 2015, it will make my 2002 van look space age, I must be way ahead of my time. :D

I was looking at fitting one of these sockets close to the radio in my van

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Dual-USB-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-12V-Charger-Power-Adapter-Outlet-/161398745068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25941d67ec

Now we both have iPhones and an iPad and only three sockets around the van, it means the cupboard next to the radio and houses the status aerial I can charge the phones/iPad without cables running all over the place.