Hybrid Tow Cars?

Kilian22

hi all, I am currently looking for a new car which will need to tow the van. I am inclined to opt for a company car this time and have seen the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which is an electric and petrol hybrid 4x4. anyone got one or towed with one? thoughts? keen to see if it is up to the job.

cheers

General consensus is that they're fine for solo use but no advantage for towing - contributors here have a Lexus RX450h and a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV so you should get more detail from them.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

They don't make the best towcars.

Lutz tows with one and posted on the PC forum, I cant remember exactly what he said but it was along the lines, great solo not so good towing.

Some one on the Mazda 247 forum is buying a hybrid, but I don't think he tows.

I've read also a report from the CC club that wasn't raving about the towing performance.

I'm sure someone will be along with more detailed information.

Interestingly my nephew has recently had a charging station installed at home, asked him how much it cost and he said it was free, I didn't go into details as it was party time.

Edited by xtrailman

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

They don't make the best towcars.

Lutz tows with one and posted on the PC forum, I cant remember exactly what he said but it was along the lines, great solo not so good towing.

Some one on the Mazda 247 forum is buying a hybrid, but I don't think he tows.

I've read also a report from the CC club that wasn't raving about the towing performance.

I'm sure someone will be along with more detailed information.

Interestingly my nephew has recently had a charging station installed at home, asked him how much it cost and he said it was free, I didn't go into details as it was party time.

We're away from home at the moment fulfilling our duties as newly-found grandparents so I only just now got round to reading this thread.

I've been towing with a hybrid for 5 years now and I'm very happy with it although I can confirm that is has no advantages when towing, other than perhaps the extra 300kg of kerbweight mainly due to the batteries. It's in the solo condition and especially in heavy traffic with lots of stop-starts where it really comes into its own. Also most hybrids have a lower maximum allowable towload than their non-hybrid equivalents. My Lexus is an exception there, but it's not a plug-in hybrid. I believe it's the only hybrid approved to tow 2000kg.