What Is This With The Wd40 Love Affair?

BFM

I'm fascinated by the adoration some have on here for this stuff. WD40 was invented to stop ICBM rockets corroding in the sixties. It is designed to go on as an oily film and then dry to a protective varnish-like residue. It was never intended to be a lubricant, solvent, cleaner, polish or any of the other things I have seen it recommended for. There are much better products for these requirements. Stick to spraying garden tools in autumn with it - although it isn't even much use for preventing rusting.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Might never have been intended for all those other uses, but as one can instead of lots of others, it saves space. Why shouldn't we use it?

I have found it an excellent lubricant and anti-ruster so for me, it is an essential maintenance tool to be found in my shed and caravan :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

It was a life saver for me the other week. Couldn't get curry stain out if my caravan table. .eventualy got rid with one of those vanish magic sponge types. .but you could clearly see I had taken all the polish & shine of the table . wd40 spray on the top . left it a while . Wiped it of & now looks like new again . Mr sheen, muscle or Barry Scott could fix it but wd40 did . great stuff

Edited by slimseydy

2012 Static Willerby Severn, Sitting in Hidden Valley Welshpool . B)

I thought that WD stood for water dispersent

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

What have you got against WD40, it was developed as one thing but was found to have many other uses, this was then encouraged by the manufacturer, that's called marketing.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I don't seem to have any ICBM's in my garage so I use it for all sorts of things, must of bought gallons of the stuff over the years in fact it was only last week I squirted a drop in my front door key hole as it was stiff to turn the key. ..works a treat now.

But now knowing what it was designed for next time I go shopping for some Intercontinental ballistic missiles I'll have some dubs 40 in me shed to keep them looking good.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

There are several products that are better than WD40 for some of its applications. But as said before it is just one small can to pack in my kit.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

The product have has been a house name of years, and preforms a multitude of tasks, yes there are better products out there but you would need a big tool box to fit them all and a big wallet to buy them all, where as good old WD40 does the lot in one small tin "nuff said"

You should avoid using WD40 on plastics, it does make them go brittle and hard, this holds true for cable insulation too. That said it does make a very good temporary lubricant and protector. Where it excels is as a cleaning fluid, we use it exclusively offshore for cleaning. My bot walked across our very light coloured hallway carpet trailing used engine oil footprints behind him, we were both mortified and thankfully the boss was out. Sprayed liberally with WD40, paper towels trodden on top, another liberal spraying followed by hot soapy waters dried using a fan heater, not a single mark remained.

You should avoid using WD40 on plastics, it does make them go brittle and hard, this holds true for cable insulation too. That said it does make a very good temporary lubricant and protector. Where it excels is as a cleaning fluid, we use it exclusively offshore for cleaning. My bot walked across our very light coloured hallway carpet trailing used engine oil footprints behind him, we were both mortified and thankfully the boss was out. Sprayed liberally with WD40, paper towels trodden on top, another liberal spraying followed by hot soapy waters dried using a fan heater, not a single mark remained.

From the official WD40 website. ..

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

http://wd40. com/faqs/

http://wd40. com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

We certainly wouldn't recommend using WD40 near any aspect of your caravan that is made from ABS, GRP, Aluminium sidewalls or Thetford type doors or any were near sealants and adhesives.

Simon

From the official WD40 website. ..

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product. http://wd40. com/faqs/http://wd40. com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

I only speak from personal experience and that of the experts in the offshore industry.

Don't get me wrong, I agree. But why would they state it is fine?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Don't get me wrong, I agree. But why would they state it is fine?

'Cos they want to sell loads of it?

What have you got against WD40, it was developed as one thing but was found to have many other uses, this was then encouraged by the manufacturer, that's called marketing.

I don't have anything against it, I just find it baffling that people use it for purposes it wasn't intended for and isn't very good at. If you want something general purpose, the WD-40 company also sell the 3 in 1 range, and the professional lubricant with PTFE spray is excellent.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I only speak from personal experience and that of the experts in the offshore industry.

I work as a surveyor offshore and subcontract to Lloyds Register Energy. I am currently working on a Norwegian owned drillship off the coast of Tanzania for my client BG Group. Certain products I have used freely for 35 years in the marine and offshore industry like WD40 and copper slip. Hylomar, PTFE tape are excluded from use in most of the Norwegian sector and some UK sector platforms dependent on the operator or drilling contractor.

Not quite sure why WD40 is on the list, I remember somewhere at the back of my mind it was because some research has shown it contains material that is possibly carcinogenic and also is possibly the causing skin disorders. However having said that I am doubtful because the litigation bandwagon in the US would certainly have tuned into that by now

Powdered coffee and vinegar is the best penetrant I have used but it is a bit wiffy.

Edited by Lee21

We do have WD40 but it's used for cleaning only, the COSHH sheets extend to 17 pages, it really isn't something that should be used freely without due care and attention. I'm currently offshore to the west of Shetland and was using WD40 for cleaning camera housings and the external threads of connectors, it does it really well.

I suppose it would be good for the Stainless Ex CCTV enclosures. I have not seen it used offshore for years even for cleaning. ..but that does not mean it is not used.

I don't envy you west of Shetland. ..been there done that. Was contemplating going to BP Claire to work for Odfjell around 3-4 years ago before I remembered the weather.

I still go to the North sea occasionally but prefer to stay international

I noted on a thread you said you had done 42 straight days of 12hr nights . .who's that working for so I know to avoid them

Anyway I digress . ..have a safe trip

Edited by Lee21

I suppose it would be good for the Stainless Ex CCTV enclosures. I have not seen it used offshore for years even for cleaning. ..but that does not mean it is not used.

I don't envy you west of Shetland. ..been there done that. Was contemplating going to BP Claire to work for Odfjell around 3-4 years ago before I remembered the weather.

I still go to the North sea occasionally but prefer to stay international

I noted on a thread you said you had done 42 straight days of 12hr nights . .who's that working for so I know to avoid them

Anyway I digress . ..have a safe trip

Oceaneering onboard Normand Installer. ROV Senior Tech, it's a nice vessel, good food, very comfortable and the crew onboard are great. After this I start my Rotation in Romania for 3 years on a semi sub.

To help keep on topic, we also use wd40 as a lubricant whilst polishing fiber optics following a re term (just done one this morning!)

Deep Sea Metro 1 . ..Two Millennium's on here. Maybe they use it too for the same purpose a you.

I may be a bit weird but I used to love the smell of WD40

I once read somewhere that if you spray it on the affected joints it relieves the pain of arthritis.

Many sites promoting it on Google.

Not tried it personally.

Ian

Doubtless someone has written that if you spray it under your armpits you become irresistible to the opposite sex, but I'd have doubts. :D