Breakdown Cover Advice Needed For A Company Car

sar_louB

Hi

We are new to caravan and will be going on our first trip this weekend. We have a company car that have their own full rescue and recovery service but will only tow the caravan to a safe place. We would have to use this breakdown cover for the car as it is part of the company policy. Do we need additional breakdown cover for the caravan?? This would then mean calling out 2 separate breakdown providers. The breakdown service appears to cover the car (obviously!) and then the caravan also. Advice needed please!!

I take it you have talked to the cars breakdown provider to get their info. so did you ask if you could pay a surcharge for them to cover the caravan?

I can see problems if you have two different companies to recover the car and caravan, such as the recovery of the car being carried out before the caravan in that you and car would have gone.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

If it were me I would just bite the bullet and take out an additional recovery insurance such as The Caravan Club's Green Flag (or Red Pennant if going abroad).

At least you will know then that you are fully covered no matter what !

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Welcome!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thank you!

Yes we have checked everything with BMW and they wouldn't leave us stranded with the caravan but wouldn't take on the responsibility for it but would tow it to a safe place or home if it wasn't too far away. I think we may just get the extra bees knees breakdown cover next year when we go abroad and have 2 lots of cover. There must be more people with company cars towing caravans - seems strange there is no specific cover for this! Thanks for the replies!

My mate has a company car, and cannot use it for towing. As it's got nothing to do with what the breakdown cover has, it,s the insurance. Mates had to buy a second car for towing. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

I know it is extra expense but can you take out seperate breakdown insurance with ie. Mayday or Britannia Rescue, that's what we did when I was working and had had a company car

Les

Les

I ran company vehicles for a long time and always took out Mayday and ignored in-house cover as inadeqate. ..

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I used mayday for the company car.

I had to sign a a waiver for the towbar fitting, promising to pick up the repair bill if the towbar or its electrics caused any issues with the car. [lease company stipulation]

My last car was a new freelander and unreliable, but the breakdown cover excellent for the car but not if towing as it would only take the caravan to a safe place- not that helpful, a similar situation as you face I think.

I decided that the best option was the cc cover via green flag who if the car cannot be fixed at the roadside will recover the car and caravan to your pre booked destination or home then call LR assist to sort the car. Bit convoluted but looked like the best way.

I know it may be a debate as to why you didn't call your companies/manufacturers breakdown first but battles are best done on home ground when you're family and caravan are safe.

Edited by PaulR

As your talking about paying for a second cover if you took this out with the same breakdown company would they still not recover the caravan?

Who is the breakdown cover company?

Regards, David

In the OP there was no mention of travelling abroad. Later the OP mentions going abroad. If you are travelling abroad you definitely need full breakdown and recovery cover. If you are not travelling abroad and your company car is covered for the UK then I wouldn't bother taking out additional cover. Company cars are usually leased and the lease companies usually chose only reliable vehicles and they are correctly maintained.

Ern

In the OP there was no mention of travelling abroad. Later the OP mentions going abroad. If you are travelling abroad you definitely need full breakdown and recovery cover. If you are not travelling abroad and your company car is covered for the UK then I wouldn't bother taking out additional cover. Company cars are usually leased and the lease companies usually chose only reliable vehicles and they are correctly maintained.

No car is 100% reliable. Also with the 'van on site and off out for the day what happens if you are involved in a RTA and the car is not roadworthy. Or if the problem when towing is due to a wheel bearing on the van for example.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Easy T: I didn't say 100% reliable. I said reliable. In my opinion the probability of a failure of the type you mention is quite low, and I wouldn't bother with additional breakdown cover for UK only use. Also, I would like to know what breakdown service is being referred to by the OP as they usually take care of towed caravans. If the car was supplied with a tow bar, then they can hardly deny you theuse of it and inclusive breakdown cover for the caravan.

Ern

Thank you!

Yes we have checked everything with BMW and they wouldn't leave us stranded with the caravan but wouldn't take on the responsibility for it but would tow it to a safe place or home if it wasn't too far away. I think we may just get the extra bees knees breakdown cover next year when we go abroad and have 2 lots of cover. There must be more people with company cars towing caravans - seems strange there is no specific cover for this! Thanks for the replies!

What you need to consider is if you have a puncture by the side of the motorway. If it wasn't for Mayday we woudl probably still be there. Pay the extra £85 and have Mayday cover.

Mayday roadside and recovery including double journey guarantee £68

If needed they will pick up the caravan only and take it to your destination and then home again - no brainer!

Edited by Millstone

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Mayday roadside and recovery including double journey guarantee £68

If needed they will pick up the caravan only and take it to your destination and then home again - no brainer!

Yes, but what if his company recovery service comes first and does not want to wait for Mayday agent?

Regards, David

As a company car driver, and caravanners for over 35 years, this has been my experience over the various companies I've worked for.

If your company leases your vehicle, you will have to get permission from the leasing company. If purchased cars, permission from the fleet manager.

Always pay for your towbars to be fitted, if it comes as a factory fitted option it adds to the value of the vehicle and therefore increase the taxable value.

If the company has a AA / RAC /GreenFlag or other breakdown cover, usually you can add caravan cover for a small premium, for use in the UK. IFf intending to travel abroad you will need to take out a separate cover for car and 'van.

When returning your company car, if it has been leased, be extra careful removing the towbar ( speaking from bitter expensive experience) and electrics.

Hope this helps

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

I used mayday for the company car.

I had to sign a a waiver for the towbar fitting, promising to pick up the repair bill if the towbar or its electrics caused any issues with the car. [lease company stipulation]

So who insured the third party liability on the road?

The car insurance has to cover the caravan on the road which means you could find yourself in court being sued by the insurance company to get their money back for any third party claims.

The company car insurance has to agree not the company.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

As a company car driver, and caravanners for over 35 years, this has been my experience over the various companies I've worked for.

If your company leases your vehicle, you will have to get permission from the leasing company. If purchased cars, permission from the fleet manager.

Always pay for your towbars to be fitted, if it comes as a factory fitted option it adds to the value of the vehicle and therefore increase the taxable value.

If the company has a AA / RAC /GreenFlag or other breakdown cover, usually you can add caravan cover for a small premium, for use in the UK. IFf intending to travel abroad you will need to take out a separate cover for car and 'van.

When returning your company car, if it has been leased, be extra careful removing the towbar ( speaking from bitter expensive experience) and electrics.

Hope this helps

I lease my Towcar through Lex autolease and I had to lease the vehicle with dealer fitter towbar as you have to gain special permission to do this after you have taken the lease out or you could find yourself not insured. This was very cheap in my case though.

In the first year of the lease the breakdown cover is not actually through the lease company but with the manufacturer so even if you phone the lease company breakdown then they will just contact whoever the manufacturer use. I. e. If I phone Lex autolease and say I have broken down again. .. They will phone Mazda breakdown and they will recover the vehicle within the first year, outside of the first year it will likely be the RAC or whoever Lex has a contract with at that time.

In my case the car is covered and a caravan is not. I have taken out the green flag cover through the caravan club. If I break down with the caravan fitted I will phone Green flag as there is nothing in my lease document saying I cannot do this.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I had exactly this predicament a few months ago. After speaking to my company. The RAC company car breakdown etc. I determined there were too many potential holes in the small print and an issue with the RAC as it seemed to depend who picked the phone up as to what was offered.

Essentially your company breakdown cover will not be designed to cover your caravan. .. but they may give you a bit of a hand. As such I would do what I have done and run some caravan breakdown cover alongside your company cover.

in terms of which policy number to quote if you do have a breakdown its easy really. If you are car only call the company breakdown and if you are towing call your personal caravan breakdown. Dont mention anything about the second cover when you call as it may just confuse. ... what they dont know wont hurt.

if you call your personal breakdown when not towing youwill be wasting your call outs which are often limited. So another reason to do it this way.

Essentially we pay 6 pound mo for dd. Its worthwhile

So who insured the third party liability on the road?

The car insurance has to cover the caravan on the road which means you could find yourself in court being sued by the insurance company to get their money back for any third party claims.

The company car insurance has to agree not the company.

Dave

The company car insurance of course. I was obviously doing everything by the book if I'm talking about signing a waiver for the lease company.

Easy T: I didn't say 100% reliable. I said reliable. In my opinion the probability of a failure of the type you mention is quite low, and I wouldn't bother with additional breakdown cover for UK only use. Also, I would like to know what breakdown service is being referred to by the OP as they usually take care of towed caravans. If the car was supplied with a tow bar, then they can hardly deny you theuse of it and inclusive breakdown cover for the caravan.

I have to disagree from personal experience. Someone backed into my car on site. (Don't ask)). The car was not in a fit state to drive 500 miles home. Recovery which came with car would not recover van because it wasn't attached to the van at the time of the incident. I will be going back to mayday ASAP.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

I too am speaking from experience of being a company car driver for 40 + years and towing a caravan for about 30 years, so my post No 13 was based on some experience. I always formally advised the lease company and the insurers that the car was used for towing in the UK and Europe. However my experience was that I never had an accident or failure whilst on a caravanning trip that caused the car or caravan to be immobilised. In view of other contributors experiences, I suppose I was lucky so with hind site, I would say it's wise to take out a separate breakdown cover.

Ern