The Right Way To Level A Caravan...

newbievanner

Ok, so I'm stuck. I have yet to figure out the right way to level a caravan. I know you can't use the corner steadies, but wondered how everyone else levelled their 'van, whether it be front/back or side/side. Might seem an obvious question but I'm not so clear!

Thanks.

Side to side with ramps or boards.

Then end to end with the jockey wheel.

Then bring steadies down to use as steadies.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Side to side then front to back is the only safe way.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Side to side with ramps or boards.

Then end to end with the jockey wheel.

Then bring steadies down to use as steadies.

The ramps or boards go under the wheels by the way !!! B)

Sometimes the steadies don't reach the ground due to the slope so you need to put blocks under them so that they can do their job of 'steadying'.

Sometimes the jockey wheel is clamped too high and there is no room to wind it down enough to get the caravan level. In this case you put all the steadies down as if you were level, then undo the jockey wheel clamp and lift it up and re-clamp it. Then put some blocks under the jockey wheel itself. Then lift the rear steadies up. Then wind the jockey wheel down so that the front of the caravan lifts up until the caravan is level. Then wind all the steadies down. In this case you will almost certainly need blocks under the front steadies as they won't reach the ground ! This situation usually occurs when you are nose down a steepish slope.

We have a Milenco Quattro ramp for under the wheels and a variety of wooden blocks for all sloping occasions !

Hope this helps ! :lol:

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

You need a spirit level to achieve this. A small one is fine.

Side to side first : put the level on a flat surface - worktop. the bubble needs to be between the two lines. The bubble goes to the highest side, so you need to raise the other side. Trial & error as to how much. Use inch thick boards under the wheel, rolling on & off and adding more until you have the right height. stagger them to raise in steps. Use either the car to pull the van or use motor movers if you have them.

Front to back: turn the spirit level aligned front to back and adjust the jockey wheel height to get the spirit level bubble between the two lines.

Now you can lower the steadies.

If you use a battery operated drill to do this, have it set for screws and the ratchet set to maximum. It will then only lower the steadies to a set torque. Do this on all four and they will all be set the same. Then use the hand brace to give each steady two complete tightening turns.

If you only have a hand brace to lower the steadies, then do each until they are just in contact with the ground - not lifting the van. When you have lowered all four, do the tightening bit but give 2 - 3 complete turns.

Of course there is bound to be someone who says I've got it wrong, but that's how I do it.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

If you use a battery operated drill to do this, have it set for screws and the ratchet set to maximum. It will then only lower the steadies to a set torque. Do this on all four and they will all be set the same. Then use the hand brace to give each steady two complete tightening turns.

Of course there is bound to be someone who says I've got it wrong, but that's how I do it.

Hi,

If I used my drill on maximum ratchet it would lift the wheels off the ground or at least stress the steadies. The ratchet is graduated 1 to 30 we normally set it at 12, presumably it depends on the drill.

Why do you use a hand brace for the last two turns? I don't even carry one - should I?

I certainly would not say you are doing anything wrong and am asking the questions cos I might be. :mellow:

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

Perhaps he means minimum torque. ...... ?

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Hi,

If I used my drill on maximum ratchet it would lift the wheels off the ground or at least stress the steadies. The ratchet is graduated 1 to 30 we normally set it at 12, presumably it depends on the drill.

Why do you use a hand brace for the last two turns? I don't even carry one - should I?

I certainly would not say you are doing anything wrong and am asking the questions cos I might be. :mellow:

Steve

Hi Steve

What would you do if your drill stopped working, I have had one or two go on me over the last 40 odd years

How would you get your steadies down with out a drill or a brace?

I use the drill and braces method. :D

Cheers, Pete

Edited by p5pete

Hi Steve

What would you do if your drill stopped working,

Er!! - panic :blush:

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

Side to side while still coupled to the towcar, decide where to use the spirit level,

and stick to it, the floor inside caravan doorway is a more accessible place,

but different people have their own levelling places.

You may need levelling ramps or chamfered pieces of planking to raise a wheel.

Then level off front to back with the jockey wheel. Finally lower the steadies.

Hi,

Steve

Similar to yourself, torque is graduated 1 - 15, I set it at 4 which seems to work.

I still carry the hand brace, find it is handy for giving the steadies a quick tighten if parked on grass after a day or two as they seem to sink in to damp ground even using blocks of wood.

Level the van same as others have said, small spirit level on work top inside the door, side to side first then front to back.

Side to side while still coupled to the towcar, decide where to use the spirit level,

and stick to it, the floor inside caravan doorway is a more accessible place,

but different people have their own levelling places.

You may need levelling ramps or chamfered pieces of planking to raise a wheel.

Then level off front to back with the jockey wheel. Finally lower the steadies.

We use the tow car to go pull up the ramp if we are on a CL with lots of space etc. If we have to use the mover to manoeuvre into a pitch then we use the mover to go up the ramp too if required. Sometimes there is a bit of veering to the left or right but this can be counteracted with the mover easily enough.

Edited by Shirl250

Oh, and by the way, don`t forget to position the caravan so that the Alko wheel lock lines up precisely !!!!!!!

The only easy way to do this is to use a Milenco Leveller for the side to side levelling and that`s a whole new discussion,

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

Hi,

Steve

My drill is a Makita, torque settings on screw, not drill, 1 - 16. I find 16 works best for my Orion. Different drills, different weight vans, so each of us may well find different settings. It's all trial and error until we find what works best for each of us.

I give the extra couple of turns with the brace to ensure that the steadies are firmly down, without lifting the van unduly, as the drill stops winding before that point is reached, but as all steadies are set the same, an equal number of extra turns keeps the lift equal.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

i use milenco wheel leveler side to side first then front to back with jockey wheel, 2ft spirit level on the floor of the caravan just in side the door, when level i use blocks under the steadies, i use to use ramps but the leveler is so much easier ;)

phil

One good tip is to level your caravan at home ( or wherever you keep it ) using a long builders level if you've got one or can borrow one on the floor of the van and taking time to make sure it's really level in both directions

THEN

Fit a triangular two way spirit level like this ( you can get them at nearly all the caravan suppliers for a few pounds)

http://www. caravanstuff4u. co. uk/safety-equipments/775-spirit-level-aid-triangle-2-way-8022068020624. html

on the front "A frame" cover of the van in a convenient place such as near the jockey wheel making sure that it reads level both ways ( I used self tapping screws and some double sided tape doubled over at one edge to get it to read dead level)

THEN

When you go on a site you have a really easy way top spot when the caravan is level :)

It's worked for me for 30 years :D

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

As I put on the other thread we use a two way level by the door, the mrs watches it as I drive up the ramp, when level we chock the wheels and put the handbrake on. Unhitch and level front to back with the jockey wheel.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I suppose I am the odd one out here, I just look and see if it looks level, I have one of them little sprit levels from the caravan shop, I just put it near the door and if it looks near enough then that good enough for me I don't do side to side front to back. as long as the water will drain away in the sinks and shower jobs done.

Don't bother buying the fancy plastic stepped levelling blocks, nightmare to use. Far better off as suggested with inch thick wood, about 12 to 18 inches long, then just step them up to required height. Have used floorboard off cuts for years. ..

Side to side first then front to back with jockey wheel.

Don't bother buying the fancy plastic stepped levelling blocks, nightmare to use. Far better off as suggested with inch thick wood, about 12 to 18 inches long, then just step them up to required height. Have used floorboard off cuts for years. ..

Side to side first then front to back with jockey wheel.

And even that has been simplified with the purchase of a Lock-N-Level system.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

I have a little spirit level giving forwards and backwards and side to side mounted just inside the window, where I can see it whilst moving the jockey wheel. It's been there for 40 years, so I imagine that the previous owners thought it worked, as well. ....

I have the quick wind down legs- you simply push them down, and then give a turn or two when they are on the ground. I've never seen them on another caravan, (except Carlights) but they are more complicated.

Tim

No-one has suggested scraping a depression in the ground then pulling the 'van forward so as one wheel sits in the depression. Never done it myself though.

Paul

2009 2. 5 Kia Sorento
2012 Bailey Unicorn Valencia