A6, E Class Or V70

Rael

Following on from my last thread . ... a bit of investigation suggests that my fundamental stability problem comes from my current car being too light for my new van - clearly there's some sense in this 85% rule :-) Additionally the car has chosen now (two weeks before it's MOT) to start displaying a range of wallet-worrying and MOT-failing warning lights and symptoms. I'd hoped to get more than 150,000 miles from it, but even if I can get it through its MOT clearly it's days would be numbered even if it was up to pulling my caravan safely.

So the search for a replacement begins . ...

Budget is about £6,000 max. I do a reasonable amount of miles solo so I need decent fuel consumption, which pretty much rules out things like the XC90 and Touareg unless I'm wrong. I don't particularly like the feel of the various Japanese / Korean options, so while an X Trail is a perfectly decent vehicle it's not for me. I need an estate or hatch as we have dogs.

Of the medium sized 4x4's I quite like the Freelander 1, had one in the past and while it wasn't the most reliable thing in the world it was a nice car. Very hard to find one with cruise control, which is a must for me. I've considered a Jeep Cherokee, my brother in law had one and liked it, the only thing putting me off is that it has the spare wheel on the back door which means you need a strange looking extended towbar to clear it - bit worried about the effects on stability with a biggish van on the back.

Realistically I've narrowed it down to three cars - Audi A6 Avant, Mercedes E220/270 estate, or Volvo V70 D5. All would be diesel autos, all (at least on paper) are more than capable of hauling my van. All would be about 2004/5 vintage. Had a V70 petrol in the past, loved but never towed with it.

I'm stuck now . .. any thoughts anyone?

Have a look at the Audi Allroad, it's an A6 estate with 4 wheel drive, air suspension and has a decent amount of additional weight. The bodies are galvanised so rust isn't an issue, 2. 5 v6 diesel is silky smooth, I tow 1800Kg without an issue. They're not cheap they hold their price well, that said they're a very strong, well made car. You should be able to get 2004 for around £3k and then upwards from there.

What about a BMW estate ?

Agree about the Jeep Cherokee and extended towbar about a foot . i hated mine and sold it for that reason as the tow bar would flex while towing and the caravan would move without the tow vehicle in the mirror .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Have you thought about the V70XC? A few years ago I had a 1998 model V70 Cross Country with automatic transmission, which I loved. The only problem was that mine was a petrol engined model and the fuel consumption was horrendous - 23 mpg was the best I ever got and that was solo but it was around 18 mpg towing. I understand that the more modern ones with diesel engines are much more economical. They are quite heavy cars and that combined with the all-wheel-drive should give you a high degree of stability.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

My mate had a A6 2. 7TDi. Lovely car. Pulled his van no sweat(pageant Sancerre) and returned good mpg towing it. And that engine was very silky smooth for a diesel

Have a look at the Audi Allroad, it's an A6 estate with 4 wheel drive, air suspension and has a decent amount of additional weight. The bodies are galvanised so rust isn't an issue, 2. 5 v6 diesel is silky smooth, I tow 1800Kg without an issue. They're not cheap they hold their price well, that said they're a very strong, well made car. You should be able to get 2004 for around £3k and then upwards from there.

Hmm, that's a thought, thanks, will have a look

What about a BMW estate ?

Agree about the Jeep Cherokee and extended towbar about a foot . i hated mine and sold it for that reason as the tow bar would flex while towing and the caravan would move without the tow vehicle in the mirror .

Haven't looked at BMW, but I should. Interesting you've confirmed my thoughts about the Jeep. To be avoided :-)

Have you thought about the V70XC? A few years ago I had a 1998 model V70 Cross Country with automatic transmission, which I loved. The only problem was that mine was a petrol engined model and the fuel consumption was horrendous - 23 mpg was the best I ever got and that was solo but it was around 18 mpg towing. I understand that the more modern ones with diesel engines are much more economical. They are quite heavy cars and that combined with the all-wheel-drive should give you a high degree of stability.

I haven't had a proper look at them but it's another option. In a dark colour they're ok, but the lighter ones look a bit like a Tonka toy to me with all that black chunky plastic. Loved my old petrol V70, kept it longer than any other car I've had.

My mate had a A6 2. 7TDi. Lovely car. Pulled his van no sweat(pageant Sancerre) and returned good mpg towing it. And that engine was very silky smooth for a diesel

Thanks, good to know

I have a XC70 D5 geartronic and it tows my twin easily. Really comfy car to be in and pretty economical as well. Having said that all the cars you mention are nice although I had a Audi and didn't find the seats supported enough on longer journeys. Merc is nice too and I tried 1 but I thought the engine was a bit rough compared to the volvo but it is personal choice . Best thing is to try them all and decide which is the best value for money.

I tow a Mk1 Valencia and have had both the V70 D5 and the A6.

The Volvo was a geartronic and although a nice enough car, it wasn't without its problems though towing it was OK.

Currently have an A6 Auto 2 litre S Line and in my opinion, its in a different class. Makes the Volvo feel agricultural, and is far more stable towing in any weather than the Volvo ever was.

MPG. D5 solo, 34 ish around town, 38 ish on a run. Towing, 21-22 ish, always in manual mode as it wouldn't go into top while towing.

Audi solo, 38 ish around town, 42 ish on a run. Towing, in auto always, 23, 24 ish.

It is only my opinion obviously, (My tin hat is ready) but the Audi wins hands down in my book.

Was thinking of trying a Merc next time round, (next year) but on the other hand I am also thinking about sticking with another A6.

Why spoil a good thing.

One thing I found with both cars was the factory kerb weight figures were well out. I used a weight bridge and found both cars, with half a tank of fuel and some kit in the boot were 200 Kgs heavier than stated.

Hope that helps

Charlie

I tow a Mk1 Valencia and have had both the V70 D5 and the A6.

The Volvo was a geartronic and although a nice enough car, it wasn't without its problems though towing it was OK.

Currently have an A6 Auto 2 litre S Line and in my opinion, its in a different class. Makes the Volvo feel agricultural, and is far more stable towing in any weather than the Volvo ever was.

MPG. D5 solo, 34 ish around town, 38 ish on a run. Towing, 21-22 ish, always in manual mode as it wouldn't go into top while towing.

Audi solo, 38 ish around town, 42 ish on a run. Towing, in auto always, 23, 24 ish.

It is only my opinion obviously, (My tin hat is ready) but the Audi wins hands down in my book.

Was thinking of trying a Merc next time round, (next year) but on the other hand I am also thinking about sticking with another A6.

Why spoil a good thing.

One thing I found with both cars was the factory kerb weight figures were well out. I used a weight bridge and found both cars, with half a tank of fuel and some kit in the boot were 200 Kgs heavier than stated.

Hope that helps

Charlie

The Allroad (A6) is a superb tug, the air suspension is superb and it's incredibly stable, the v6 in mine whilst not the most powerful by today's standards is very torquey and gives a very relaxed tow. I'm just about to change to a Touareg because I want to go to a bigger van at some point so I'm doing the tug first, I'll be sorry to see the Audi go because it really is an excellent tug.

Given a MLTPM of 1450Kgs I would not have thought a Passat was too light to pull your van so maybe the instability is due to something other than the car not being heavy enough, info from review below

http://www. caravanguard. co. uk/news/the-new-bailey-olympus-ii-5405-caravan-reviewed-3133/

The Passat is just over 1500kg, van weighs something like 96% - surprised me when I worked that out. It towed our old van nicely (79%) so I'm pretty sure it's just mismatched weight-wise. As per previous the Passat is past its sell-by date anyway.

I tow a 1450Kg caravan with a V70. I have the Phase 3 Geartronic 2. 4 Diesel. It is extremely stable and has plenty of grunt. The seats are delicious! Economy is about 26 towing/40-44 solo. Tons of space and lots of toys.

Ern

All good cars, I think you would be happy with any of them, choose the one you like the best, I have the Volvo, great car.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I tow a 1435 van with my 2012 Audi A4 v6 Quattro. Perfect tow car for us, loads of toys and Tows really well. The A6 is only about 50kg more than the A4, depending on version.

Edited by cma

Following on from my last thread . ... a bit of investigation suggests that my fundamental stability problem comes from my current car being too light for my new van - clearly there's some sense in this 85% rule :-) Additionally the car has chosen now (two weeks before it's MOT) to start displaying a range of wallet-worrying and MOT-failing warning lights and symptoms. I'd hoped to get more than 150,000 miles from it, but even if I can get it through its MOT clearly it's days would be numbered even if it was up to pulling my caravan safely.

So the search for a replacement begins . ...

Budget is about £6,000 max. I do a reasonable amount of miles solo so I need decent fuel consumption, which pretty much rules out things like the XC90 and Touareg unless I'm wrong. I don't particularly like the feel of the various Japanese / Korean options, so while an X Trail is a perfectly decent vehicle it's not for me. I need an estate or hatch as we have dogs.

Of the medium sized 4x4's I quite like the Freelander 1, had one in the past and while it wasn't the most reliable thing in the world it was a nice car. Very hard to find one with cruise control, which is a must for me. I've considered a Jeep Cherokee, my brother in law had one and liked it, the only thing putting me off is that it has the spare wheel on the back door which means you need a strange looking extended towbar to clear it - bit worried about the effects on stability with a biggish van on the back.

Realistically I've narrowed it down to three cars - Audi A6 Avant, Mercedes E220/270 estate, or Volvo V70 D5. All would be diesel autos, all (at least on paper) are more than capable of hauling my van. All would be about 2004/5 vintage. Had a V70 petrol in the past, loved but never towed with it.

I'm stuck now . .. any thoughts anyone?

Buy a lighter caravan? :D

Two questions:

1. Were Merc. over their bad quality issues by 2003/4?

2. What type of autobox was fitted to Allroad's back then?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Two questions:

1. Were Merc. over their bad quality issues by 2003/4?

2. What type of autobox was fitted to Allroad's back then?

Merc were coming to the end of their corrosion and build quality issues, very variable some good some were awful with no particular pattern. They also had engine issues with glow plugs welding themselves into the head, combustion gasses leaking past etc. that said my 2001 Sprinter clocked up 305,000 trouble free miles.

The autobox on the Audi is a standard, conventional 5 speed autobox, very traditional, it does have torque converter lockup so still good on fuel, gear changes are very smooth and response is instant when needed. The rest of the 4 wheel drive system is bulletproof and absolutely reliable. It makes it very sure footed, turn out of a T junction in the wet even giving it plenty of throttle in order to get into a gap it just pulls away as if it was in the dry.

I still have a 2005 V70 D5 Geartronic (163bhp) that I used for many years to tow a 1795Kg twin axle - although at 100% on paper I was always careful with loading to ensure the heavy stuff was in the car! My latest van is plated at just under 2000kgs so although I know the Volvo would pull it with ease I've never towed it.

It replaced an aging Discovery 300TDI and the difference was amazing. The Volvo had plenty of power throughout the range and never felt once as though it was struggling, acceleration was incredible even with the van on the back. It is still an incredibly comfy vehicle to drive whether driving in 'Volvo' mode or 'boy Racer' mode. I've now put nearly 100,000 miles on it and other than tyres, brakes and discs and a cam belt a yearly service has been the only cost. When solo on motorway runs it will delivery between 50 & 60mph of driven appropriately.

If you do go for one ensure it has the rear self levelling suspension - a must for towing. The only downside I can think off at the moment is the turning circle (think Japanese super-tanker) and the 2 wheel drive - yet in 6 years of towing with it there was only one occasion where I had to get a tow of a soggy field, the traction control works wonders in slippery conditions!

What do you have to do, tuck your head down below the dash and fold the mirrors in LOL

Ooops, meant 50 - 60 mpg!

Actually - re-reading that last sentence I think I must have got to the bottom of the glass of wine by then, hic. ... :lol:

Edited by wilkhaven

Ooops, meant 50 - 60 mpg!

Actually - re-reading that last sentence I think I must have got to the bottom of the glass of wine by then, hic. ... :lol:

Tut tut, using a keyboard whilst under the influence of wine and enjoying yourself - disgusting :lol:

The Passat is just over 1500kg, van weighs something like 96% - surprised me when I worked that out. It towed our old van nicely (79%) so I'm pretty sure it's just mismatched weight-wise. As per previous the Passat is past its sell-by date anyway.

With a caravan that weighs in at 1450kg you might also like to consider a Mondeo, towsmy 1450kg van superbly, cheap to run and comfortable. Mine has a v5 MIRO of 1685kg which gives an 86% match with that van. 55mpg on a long run is easy to achieve, 46mpg around town, and 30-35mpg towing the van.

Edited by Bill Lord

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Mo dogs aren't bad motors, tdci engines sometimes have an issue with pumps though. I think the real potential problem is with front wheel drive, hill starts on we triads etc, great torquey engine breaks the adhesion easily.