Rant ; Rant :rant .. Alko Spare Wheel Carrier

Disco Kid

. . what lame brained goon invented this . .......... words fail me .

Having bought a Safefill gas cylinder, I have no need for two cylinders in the front locker, so . . brainwave . . put the sparewheel in there . . only weighs a little over a full 6kg bottle . .

First thing . . get the spare off its carrier to try it for fit . . glad I didn't have to do it at the side of any road, here or abroad.

Just like their wheel locks . . not properly thought out

How the do you get the thing back on????

. . I'm taking it off completely & it goes to the tip . Even if I eventually have to carry the spare in the 'van or the car.

Rant over (for now)

Edited by Lefthand Down
all disguised expletives removed.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

No real thought has gone into the design, the best place for a spare wheel was in an Avondale, inside the van, out of the elements and so simple to get at it, I know how you feel Disco Kid.

Les

Les

I have to agree I have an Avondale, and the spare wheel is in it's own floor locker inside the van, easy to access don't understand why others didn't follow.

I've fortunately never had to use ours but must admit I've been put off by all the comments. I'm considering a couple of things:

1. Replace the split pins in the O/S tubes by R clips so allowing the whole lot to come out / be replaced rather than the sliding elements only;

2. Do as suggested and keep it in the van. We rarely use the shower (as a shower), it's mostly just for storage, so I thought of getting a bag and keeping it in there. It's almost directly above the axle so weight distribution should be fine. I haven't measured it of course. .....

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

If you remove the spare wheel carrier annually and re-grease with some thick grease then they are not too difficult to use IMHO.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

. .................................... the best place for a spare wheel was in an Avondale, inside the van, out of the elements and so simple to get at it, . ..................................

Les

Generally agreed, but did cutting a dirty great hole in the floor contribute to their rash of floor problems in the early 2000s.

Have wondered about getting a moulding and having it installed, with lots of extra stiffening.

Perhaps Caravanmedic could comment

Disco, I have to agree with you. Our caravan was brand new when we bought it. Having read the comments about the difficulty of removing the spare wheel, I decided to try it out in the storage facility. Nice dry day, flat ground, a bonus of the caravan either side of ours were both out, I thought I'd slide the wheel out and grease the carrier. After about an hour of almost continual swearing, I removed the split pins and took the stupid thing off. The spare now lives in a large black bin liner on a folded canvas sheet on the floor of the caravan when it's in storage or under the caravan when we're on site. The thought of trying to get the spare off the carrier on the side of the road with vehicles flying past at high speed is terrifying.

One bonus was the fact that I threw the carrier in the front garden at home, meaning to take it to the tip the following day. When I got up the following morning, the scrap metal faries had taken it during the night!!

I find it strange that our old Swift caravan (2002 model) had the spare in the front locker with the gas bottles either side of it, and that layout worked fine. Our brand new Swift had this stupid carrier fitted. Progress??

Yours rantingly, Mike. :unsure::unsure:

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Generally agreed, but did cutting a dirty great hole in the floor contribute to their rash of floor problems in the early 2000s.

Maybe, I don't know, I only know I haven't had any issues up to now, fingers crossed.

Right . . dunnit . . might have been designed (there's a laugh) for it . .

Wheel goes in easily . . just under 15Kg, so easy to handle. Fits where the second gas cylinder would be . . going to get a couple of gas cylinder securing strap/kit/thingies more, so can have it secured at 120degree spacing (rim and tyre fit nicely into curve) so 3 straps to hold 15kg instead of just one.

Can still get all my water jacks, waste water trolley, hook-on airer, ramp, bucket and wooden pads etc in the locker.

Win Win Win

Yes, noseweight will increase slightly, because spare no longer behind axle, but that can be handled

And ALKO were so thoughtful in their design if you go abroad - you have to demount the carrier and swap sides so the spare drops down on the continental near side. And when you get home, swap it all back again.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Struth !!! best thing to do, join a motoring organisation and get them to change it for you

Les

Les

On my previous Swift van I took my spare off its carrier to check the pressure before a trip.

When I pulled the wheel from under the van far enough to remove the nut that secures it to the carrier, the legs of the carrier came apart. They were too short.

When I fastened the wheel back on it was then a nightmare to reengage the telescopic legs not only due to the weight of the wheel but the location in the centre of the van.

So glad I did not have to do that at the side of the road.

My new Elddis has a much simpler carrier meaning the wheel is easy to take off and return.

Russ

Because I have the AWD motormovers fitted they could not refit the Alko wheel Bracket( thank god) the spare wheel now sits under 1 of the single beds and is nice and clean if I ever have to use it. I would then put the dirty punctured 1 in a big plastic bag and put that in the Same place. I have AA cover for the car and van so I would call them out to change it as I havn't got a jack. I am seriously considering 1 of the lock and level thingies which are given such good reviews.

On my previous Swift van I took my spare off its carrier to check the pressure before a trip. .....................................n.

Russ

With it now in the front locker I can keep it inflated without removing anything . . got a small 'proper' compessor . . (Dates from time I had a JCB . .. that's another story)

Although I managed perfectly well getting the spare wheel down, out & off the carrier, that was on the drive, no traffic, no rain, no kerbstone, no rush.

But having read what others have done, I gave it some extra thought and now the wheel is now located under the rear bed / table and strapped in place. If we need it out, it'll be easy to get to and dry. A large plastic bag is stored for putting a damaged tyre / wheel in, should the need arise.

The carrier is off and stashed away in the garage, so if I ever trade the van in, it can go back in place.

So all set now to brave the roads with my new Kojack jack & jacking points. I can even put the spirit levels back on them. :)

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

. ...........................

The carrier is off and stashed away in the garage, so if I ever trade the van in, it can go back in place. .....................................

My intention was just scrap it and save anyone later from the bother of trying to use it . . but I couldn't get the fixed tubes off . . seem to have bungs in the end that are bigger than the hole they have to pass through . . so I fought (and finally subdued)it and put it back on (less the wheel)

No, don't tell me how to get it off . . I don't want to know

My intention was just scrap it and save anyone later from the bother of trying to use it . . but I couldn't get the fixed tubes off . . seem to have bungs in the end that are bigger than the hole they have to pass through . . so I fought (and finally subdued)it and put it back on (less the wheel)

No, don't tell me how to get it off . . I don't want to know

Don't read this then! :P Others might want to know though.

There are two split pins on each tube, one either side of the chassis.

These pins go through the plastic bungs. Pull out all four of the pins and it all falls out. Simples! B)

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

. ....

These pins go through the plastic bungs. Pull out all four of the pins and it all falls out. Simples! B)

Ah . . silly me . . I only removed the pins that were on the end . .

:angry::angry::angry:

Edited by Disco Kid

my van had one fitted when I bought it. when getting ready for our first trip in our new (to us) van I tried to check the tyre pressure, it was a bit of a struggle to get the dam thing to let go, so I adjusted it with a hacksaw and put in the recycle bin AND the tyre had to be replaced because the sidewall had been grooved after sitting on that poxy carrier.

spare now travels in car boot.

kot

pigs

. ..AND the tyre had to be replaced because the sidewall had been grooved after sitting on that poxy carrier.

I don't believe that the 'trademark' grooves in the tyre are any more grounds for replacement than a flat spot on a tyre which has stood too long. Neither does my tyre supplier. Both phenomena disappear with use.

hawkaye :beardy:

You guys are lucky try getting it off when the van has a flat tyre and the van is 3 to 4 inch lower to the ground limiting the clearance to work in nightmare scraped mine after first wheel change now keep it under the bunk in same position as it would be under van so no upsetting balance

Re the Avondale floor compartment option - doesn't seem to have affected my 2005/6 van in any way as the rigid "box" replaces floor panelling and therefore there isn't any less support across the floor.

Casting my mind back to my first van ( 197? Swift Danette 5 berth with glass windows) , this had a large and very useful "cool box" set in the floor which didn't affect the integrity of the van as far as I'm aware ( useful for transporting wine from France though !!) .

I think that it's just that it is cheaper to fit an alko spare carrier unit to an alko chassis rather than go to the trouble of designing a propper spare wheel housing either in the locker (nose weight allowing) or in the floor. I know that when I eventually change vans I'll be looking at anything other than an under chassis design even if it means fitting a floor box myself.

Just think how many cars still have spare wheels under the boot, they used to have but now all the past cars I've had since I don't know when have been in the boot - same reason - you have a puncture - the vehicle is lower - then it's on a jack and inherently unstable so you don't want to be getting under it to fiddle about with muddy gritty rusty fixings - no argument - spare wheels should not be stored under any vehicle. !!

Jim

Edited by JamesF

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

. . what lame brained goon invented this . .......... words fail me .

Having bought a Safefill gas cylinder, I have no need for two cylinders in the front locker, so . . brainwave . . put the sparewheel in there . . only weighs a little over a full 6kg bottle . .

First thing . . get the spare off its carrier to try it for fit . . glad I didn't have to do it at the side of any road, here or abroad.

Just like their wheel locks . . not properly thought out

How the do you get the thing back on????

. . I'm taking it off completely & it goes to the tip . Even if I eventually have to carry the spare in the 'van or the car.

Rant over (for now)

When we had a puncture it took the mechanic over 30 minutes to remove the spare and another 20 minutes to get the empty carrier back into place! So even professionals battle with the devil's handiwork.

As I have said on this forum many times, spare wheel carrier is behind the shed, spare wheel is in a bag under the bed when parked and in the car when travelling, I saved 27kg off the van at the same time.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

2. Do as suggested and keep it in the van. We rarely use the shower (as a shower), it's mostly just for storage, so I thought of getting a bag and keeping it in there. It's almost directly above the axle so weight distribution should be fine. I haven't measured it of course. .....

Don't do what i did. Put the tyre directly on the lino over the winter, only to move it in the spring and find a perfect permanent imprint on the lino of all the writing from the tyre sidewall :/