Tables V Slats

Anyone know how many years /decades ago caravan makers stopped using the table as a bed base, and went on to these slats?

What was the reason for this??

Could be cost as the table in mine is shorter than the slats.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

My Orion 440-4 still uses the rear dinette table as a bed base, but slats for the front bed.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

I think the problem with using a table was due to condensation. Using slats allows air to circulate.

That's right . . the locker tops also, being sheets of ply caused condensation & mildew under the seat cushions . . our 1984 van was pre slats, but since we didn't get another 'van till 2004, I don't know when slats were introduced . .

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

We had a condendation problem in a couple of caravans with tables as beds in caravans, drilled a few holes in the ply seating just for a bit extra air flow and heped a bit but snce having a caravan with slats in 2009 huge difference and i actually made up slats for my current caravan which is a 1974 caravan.

Slats all the way for me!

Compass Shadow 1988

This brings me to memory foam ! We have always had beds with slats so that the mattresses can air and any moisture can evaporate. Same in the caravan. We now have memory foam toppers both at home and in the caravan. Does the foam absorb the moisture from our bodies and dissipate it as before via the mattress and the slats ? I don't seem to end up with damp bed clothes or a damp mattress so I think it must to a certain extent. ..... ? Looking at it I wouldn't have thought so though. .... ?

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Depends on the memory foam. The better ones do, the cheaper ones don't.

Tony

Depends on the memory foam. The better ones do, the cheaper ones don't.

Tony

We have the good (expensive!) stuff - 75 something or other - it's very dense. Does that mean it uses a capillary action of some sort then to wick away the moisture from our bodies. .... ?

Perhaps I'll look it up - Foam - it's probably a very involved technology that we are all completely unaware of . .... Well me anyway !? :blink:

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I think the problem with using a table was due to condensation. Using slats allows air to circulate.

This is exactly why slats are used. My van has slats under the side settees as well.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.