Renewal Time

Yorkshireman

Elddis 656 3 yrs old, parked at home, alarm, hitch lock, insured for 18k new for old. My renewal is £330. Is this reasonable. Looked at a few alternatives but can't get any cheaper. Any recommendation?

Try cover4 . I pay under 200 for my 1 yr old bailey. They always beat any renewal price. I started a claim with them but didn't take it further as I didn't want the extensive works done to the van to solve some cosmetic damage. They were a pleasure to deal with though.

Rob

Caravanless. ...

Until we claim, we have no idea whether an insurance company is any good!

I'm with the CC

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Elddis 656 3 yrs old, parked at home, alarm, hitch lock, insured for 18k new for old. My renewal is £330. Is this reasonable. Looked at a few alternatives but can't get any cheaper. Any recommendation?

How many years no claims?

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

How many years no claims?

3 .

i tried cover 4 online as a poster suggested but would not quote online and i am waiting for them to call. I suspect though that they may require hitch lock and 2 x wheel locks and thats a faf. i just want the hitch lock on a policy, and i have my alarms aswell.

Edited by David Pearson

3 .

i tried cover 4 online as a poster suggested but would not quote online and i am waiting for them to call. I suspect though that they may require hitch lock and 2 x wheel locks and thats a faf. i just want the hitch lock on a policy, and i have my alarms aswell.

I suspect, as you do, that you've identified the reason for the higher premium. If the van is provided with Alko wheel locks then the insurers will expect them to be used. I don't think a Hitchlock and alarm is enough, but I'm no insurance expert.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

2013 Swift Challenger Sport 564. Cassoa silver site. Alarm, wheel lock, hitch lock, proactive tracker. New for old cover. £235 with Caravan Guard.

Regards, Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

• 2 months later...

3 .

I've just renewed for another year and it was once again cheaper than last year. £180 this time which I'm really happy with. They require a hitch lick and an approved wheel clamp/chassis locking device (like an Alko lock). Don't need tow wheel locks, just the one.

Caravanless. ...

• 2 weeks later...

For the fourth year running, I've just renewed with Lifesure. Yet again, no one can come close to them for cover or price.

£187 I paid for slightly better cover than CC who wanted £335, Towergate £365, cover4caravans £265.

Caravanguard, Shield, and a few others wouldn't quote due to my van not being stored at a Cassoa registered compound.

The only security required is wheel clamp and hitchlock.

Always shop around, there are some greedy insurance companies out there.

Got e-mail from Towergate prior to renewal date.

They said they would guarantee to beat renewal by 5% and to hold that price for the following year too, provided no claims made.

They did exactly that, quoting 5% less than renewal, so £226 for my 2015 Lunar Clubman Si covered at £22790 new for old, plus awning and equipment.

Life sure quoted £250.

Current insurer ( until mid December) is Caravan Guard.

Cover with Towergate is better too.

Edited by hp100425ev

David Pearson, on 21 Aug 2014 - 7:17 PM, said:

I use Rotherham Insurance Brokers at Wath for car and caravan ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Got e-mail from Towergate prior to renewal date.

They said they would guarantee to beat renewal by 5% and to hold that price for the following year too, provided no claims made.

They did exactly that, quoting 5% less than renewal, so £226 for my 2015 Lunar Clubman Si covered at £22790 new for old, plus awning and equipment.

Life sure quoted £250.

Current insurer ( until mid December) is Caravan Guard.

Cover with Towergate is better too.

Four years ago i was with Caravanguard and got a better quote from Towergate. As the renewal was for mid January i paid the premium to Towergate before Christmas to start in January. I had certificate E-mailed to me with the start date mid January. The following November i had a renewal stating that it was due mid December. I phoned them and said my certificate ran until mid January and they were knocking a month off, but they were adamant that it would only run until mid December. SO not a saving after all 11 months cover for a charge for 12 months. Hence no longer with them and will never use them again.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto