New To Site, Need Urgent Advice On Plug Connectors

Brianajrobb

Hi

Just upgrading to a 2010 sprite alpine 2 from a bailey ranger 460. Travel down to collect tomorrow.

My car has single 7 pin connector and the sprite looks to have a single 13 pin cable. I have acquired an adapter block which fits my cars 7 pin and converts to 13 pins. Is this all I need?

300 mile trip to collect and want to know I'll make it home!!

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Hi Brianajrobb

The adapter will work all the road lights for you, indicators, brake and taillights etc to get you home, but if you want the full monty, e. g. battery charging and fridge cooling you will have to upgrade your wiring on the car to 13 pin.

As far as I am aware you should be fine to drive it back hone on the 7 pin as this is the main one for your lights indicators and brake's, the other plug would have been a grey one if you had it which powers the fridge and charges the caravan battery, also the reversing lights and fog lights can be attached to that plug to which you won't need to get you home.

Hope this helps, I an sure someone with more knowledge than me will b along soon to confirm whether I am right or not.

Edited by Digger_07

Yup.

You have the normal black 7 pin on your car. This is called 12N. It is fairly cheap to fit but you have it already.

You could, if you want

1) Have the 2nd 12S (grey) socket fitted. It then gives you charging of vans battery when the car is running AND the fridge is cooled when the car is running if the fridge switch is set to battery.

2) Have a new 13 pin socket put on your car. This will then fit the caravan and otherwise is the same as 1) plus your adaptor

3) Do nothing and leave as is. I caravanned like that with 1 socket for 6 years and was very happy!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Best have the full 13 pin harness fitted to your car, ensuring

it includes power for fridge and battery charger with the

full 2. 5 earth returns

Find a decent auto electrician is my advice and get them to upgrade the car to 13pin socket. They have much fewer issues with water ingress and pin burnout and you will get a nice cool travel fridge :) and a charged battery :)

Worth a few quid IMHO.

What car and where are you in the country?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, I have only been towing for a year now. Not venturing too far so my single feed is ample at the moment. I have a vw golf and live in scotland. The adapter I have has got 13 female holes, 7 of which have metal connections. The other end fits my single socket on the car and has 4 male with 3 female pins. Looks like it will get me home ok. Any idea how much I should expect to pay for a 13 pin to be fitted to the Golf?

Thanks again

I don't know to be fair. I did my own and it took me about 4+ hours. It's not a quick Job unless you know exactly where to route the cables from the battery.

A golf forum may be able to tell you more I guess. The Touran was fairly simple and I did that. They are similar to the golf I think.

Phone around for quotes but you need to be very specific about what you require.

Also if you have ATC on your van this needs the extra power.

Mahatma Gandhi

My Sorento cost about £250 for just the extra 12S grey socket. That's why it took me 6 years or so to change.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

To have my car converted from two 7 pin sockets to a 13 pin took way less than an hour. Less than £50 but I can't remember how much less.

If you use the adaptor take some tape and string to make sure the extra cabling doesn't drag on the floor until you can sort it out better.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

To have my car converted from two 7 pin sockets to a 13 pin took way less than an hour. Less than £50 but I can't remember how much less.

If you use the adaptor take some tape and string to make sure the extra cabling doesn't drag on the floor until you can sort it out better.

Just to convert from twin to 13pin I would agree but the OP doesn't have a 12S socket from what I understand so will likely have to run new cables from the battery.

Mahatma Gandhi

7 pin to 13pin cost me about £100 money well spent to charge battery and cool fridge on tow.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

I bought a Mitsubishi Outlander which had a single 7 pin socket. I had a 13 pin socket fitted by Bank Farm Trailers (South Wales company) which cost me about £80 if I remember correctly.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

A twin 12N+12S to 13 pin adaptor will give road lights (apart from reverse) through the 12N socket and All supplementary functions from the 12S, that's exactly what I use for my 2012 Sprite after towing a 2007 Ranger 460 before it.

The reason 2 x 7 pins gives 14 as opposed to 13 pins is that both 12n & 12S have an earth connection, whereas a 13 pin only needs one.

If you only connect the black plug, if you only have a single 7 pin socket, you will only have the road light functions as you did with the Bailey, no more, no less.

If this didn't give you any problems in the past, it it unlikely to do so now.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden