Important: How To Measure A Porch Awning

p5pete

I read with interest a post from John Cloughie titled "Dorema 380" in which John said the size of his porch awning was 360, 20 cm smaller. Never the less I thought he had probably got it wrong, after all a 380 cm awning should be 380 cm, right. Well not quite.

Then I got one. A Dorema Quattro 380 porch awning, on page 16 of the Dorema 2014 brochure. The same as John's. I wanted a porch awning that left all the lounge windows out of the awning.

The only part of the Dorema 380 awning that runs in the awning channel is the roof and that must be straight and cannot be round the bend of the channel at the back, top of the caravan. This awning has two straight sides that stick out from the caravan so care was taken to measure just as the curve of the channel straightened out along the roof of the caravan just before a rear window. 380 cm from there towards the front of the caravan came to just before the front side window, excellent, well missing the fridge vents. Awning ordered and we fitted it. It was some way away from the front side window and closer to the fridge vents than I thought it should be, but still cleared them, just.

I contacted John to see if he had contacted Dorema about the size difference but he had not, so I contacted them. A very helpful guy, Darren Butlin, replied to my emails and then asked me to ring him. He pointed out the smaller print on the RH side of page 16. Roof measurement: Quattro 380 width approx. 350 cm. That is the measurement along the side of the caravan at the roof and that is why it was closer to my fridge vents than I thought it was going to be. The 380 cm I presume is at ground level and Johns 360 cm probably at waist level.

So take care with a porch awning and if possible have a look at the one you like at a caravan dealers and measure it.

Cheers, Pete

They sure make it easy don't they !

I'm pretty sure the two Kampa Rally's we've had have been what I expected but next time out I'll measure our 390 to see if there is much of a difference ! :rolleyes:

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

They sure make it easy don't they !

I'm pretty sure the two Kampa Rally's we've had have been what I expected but next time out I'll measure our 390 to see if there is much of a difference ! :rolleyes:

The Rally is designed to utilise space. If it is a Rally 390 then it will be 390cm at the base and 390cm at the roof. The same rule applies for the other sizes.

Edited by Kampa Max

Hi Pete, and others.

I know that Dorema wrote to you saying they got the 380 by measuring the front outside to outside. I measured along the front of the awning but I would have measured inside to inside and got 360 as this is the usable floor space. I definitely measured at ground level. I am sure Dorema are stretching things saying 380.

Because I do not have the van at the moment I cannot check but will have it back towards the end of Sept and will be using the awning in the Autum because this is the time of year we bought it for. I will double check then.

The sides slope inwards so the awning rail measurement is bound to be smaller.

If Doremas measurements are to be believed each side will slope in 15cm. That's a lot.

I did not complain to Dorema because, despite the floor area being smaller than I expected from a 380. I really like the awning particularly for winter use.

It does not fit too badly on my Valencia though I cannot use the under bed locker. A little bigger would have been better.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Hi Pete, and others.

I know that Dorema wrote to you saying they got the 380 by measuring the front outside to outside. I measured along the front of the awning but I would have measured inside to inside and got 360 as this is the usable floor space. I definitely measured at ground level. I am sure Dorema are stretching things saying 380.

Because I do not have the van at the moment I cannot check but will have it back towards the end of Sept and will be using the awning in the Autum because this is the time of year we bought it for. I will double check then.

The sides slope inwards so the awning rail measurement is bound to be smaller.

If Doremas measurements are to be believed each side will slope in 15cm. That's a lot.

I did not complain to Dorema because, despite the floor area being smaller than I expected from a 380. I really like the awning particularly for winter use.

It does not fit too badly on my Valencia though I cannot use the under bed locker. A little bigger would have been better.

John

Hi John

Perhaps you need to talk to Dorema and tell them about the size of your awning and it not covering your under bed locker but you might want to leave it until your caravan is sorted out. .

Darren Butlin is the man on 01977 555215.

one thing I would like is two zips on the doors so you could if you wanted open just the top part.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by p5pete