Deal Of A Lifetime?

jessdale

What is everyone's idea of a "deal of a lifetime"?. I have seen this quote a few times on this forum. Is it £1000 off list?, £2500 off list?. We all know some that pay £000's less than anybody else and then sell for £000's more than its worth ( liars). But what is a deal of a lifetime?

Most times something that sounds too good to be true and generally is.

Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I sit and listen. Sometimes I sit and watch. Most times I just sit.

At the height of the recession I took my 18 month old VW caddy into the main dealer for service and was collared by the salesman who had sold it to me. Was I interested in changing it, he said? No not really I replied. Suppose I put a deal on the table better than your current one? he said. I don't believe you could tempt me, said I. Fifteen minutes later I signed for a new van.

It's all about the circumstances. .His and mine. He was desperate and I wasn't that bothered.

MY deal recently, not sure if it's of a lifetime yet still got some years to live I hope, traded in my 2010 Elddis for a 2011 Coachman came with Al-ko mammut mover £2000,full Isabella awning £1000, Sargent stinger alarm system £500 aprrox and ATC £500 approx all already fitted for first owner. All in hardly used condition. Almost forgot a full service included worth £240.

Got more than I paid for my trade in, balance to change less than £3000.

Done deal.

Mondeo 2. 0TDCI 140bhp/ Coachman festival 550

I threw a cheeky bid of 6k at the owner of our Louisiana expecting a rude response - turns out they desperately needed the money to complete a campervan conversion and even though they kept the full awning it was 2-3k less than any others advertised, as said above - it just depends on a bit of luck ( and the fact I'd been looking for 6 months on the net at prices)

It was whilst there was still a lot of doom and gloom recession talk on and no-one was buying luxury items allegedly.

I threw a cheeky bid of 6k at the owner of our Louisiana expecting a rude response - turns out they desperately needed the money to complete a campervan conversion and even though they kept the full awning it was 2-3k less than any others advertised, as said above - it just depends on a bit of luck ( and the fact I'd been looking for 6 months on the net at prices)

It was whilst there was still a lot of doom and gloom recession talk on and no-one was buying luxury items allegedly.

I'm just selling my Allroad on ebay, all the usual chancers messages me offering ridiculously low prices. I alway reply politely despite really wanting to tell them what I think of them. One of them got really abusive and told me how stupid I was not to accept his derisory offer and that I wouldn't get more. It's double what he offered already with 8 days left to run.

MY deal recently, not sure if it's of a lifetime yet still got some years to live I hope, traded in my 2010 Elddis for a 2011 Coachman came with Al-ko mammut mover £2000,full Isabella awning £1000, Sargent stinger alarm system £500 aprrox and ATC £500 approx all already fitted for first owner. All in hardly used condition. Almost forgot a full service included worth £240.

Got more than I paid for my trade in, balance to change less than £3000.

. Also the asking price was same as two other dealers on the net with no extras fitted.

Done deal.

Mondeo 2. 0TDCI 140bhp/ Coachman festival 550

I'm just selling my Allroad on ebay, all the usual chancers messages me offering ridiculously low prices. I alway reply politely despite really wanting to tell them what I think of them. One of them got really abusive and told me how stupid I was not to accept his derisory offer and that I wouldn't get more. It's double what he offered already with 8 days left to run.

I had an email then phone conversation with the seller on gumtree, eBay can be a nightmare these days with idiots that bid and don't show up, I only do classified ads on there now, hope you don't get the same hassle!

Usually the best deal is where neither side is 100% happy IMHO.

However for a one off deal I can't beat traded 6 month old Lunar Quasar for £14,000 (bought new for £14,500 - wrong layout) paid £22,500 for new factory order Delta Ti with Reich 4x4 movers. Sounds like I'm a liar but not so, it was just as a previous poster said the dealer needed a sale.

To get a better deal always agree to take out finance, as the dealer gets commission and then pay off immediately.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

We apparently could sell our 2011 model year Adria for what we paid over a year ago so therefore we must have got a great deal . It's all about being right place right time I guess

Edited by sunshinetours

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

I still say i got a deal of a LIFETIME with our HOBBY, chappy selling it was moving abroad because his Thai bride-to-be could not get in this country, Caravan had been sat at his property unused for 2 years and i paid £7400 a 2008 model for it 2 half years ago and it was in mint condition off E-bay .

They are still fetching good money now .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Deal of a lifetime, Rover SDI I paid £2000 for and sold it for £3495 the next day and that was in 1985

Or the few hundred it cost me to get planning permission to build in the garden of a bungalow we owned, £100,000 up over night, I will struggle to get that one again.

As for vans gave £200 for a Sprite Musketeer that sold for £500 after 2 years of holidays.

What is everyone's idea of a "deal of a lifetime"?. I have seen this quote a few times on this forum. Is it £1000 off list?, £2500 off list?. We all know some that pay £000's less than anybody else and then sell for £000's more than its worth ( liars). But what is a deal of a lifetime?

Buying something you don't really need and something you can't really afford on the 'never, never'!

Edited by a13est

A neighbour was on the deal of a lifetime when he bought an old motorbike one day complete with logbook and came to ask hubby was it him listed as the first owner fifty years ago. Yes it was, and hubby gave him double what he had paid the day before as he didn't really want to sell it.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

One that suits you .

That describes it perfectly - I once spent a good 40 minutes with a salesman knocking him down - even made him phone his boss at home and chatted with him - saved 8k off the sale price that day. ....deal of a lifetime!

For me, the deal of a lifetime is one where both parties are happy, especially with cars and vans. A sales person won't usually sell unless it is an acceptable deal for them. I would never be happy buying privately and benefitting from someone else's misfortune eg redundancy / ill health unless I felt I was paying a fair price

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse my ignorance . . . .

. . . Wassa Freddo? I don't want to miss out on something!

Alan

Excuse my ignorance . . . .. . . Wassa Freddo? I don't want to miss out on something!Alan

The wife informs me its a small chocolate bar. Apparently in the shape of a frog. That she says is the important part. Lol.

Our deal of a life time. Still waiting for it to happen.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Got just over £5K off our new VW Alltrack,got a further £5K as a trade in for our previous car,which is what I wanted so all in all I felt I had a good deal.

Ian