Thinking Of Changing From Unicorn Valencia Mk 1 To Verona Gt65

Mow Cop Ken

Hi, as the title says, thinking of trading for a new Gerona. The spec looks good and I am trying to see what we would 'miss'.

1. From a quick look, obviously the Alde heating, but how good is the Whale i Van heating system? 2. Is it blown air and are there cold spots like I remember from other caravans we have had?

Its 2 inches narrower, but that shouldn't be a problem. Its also quite a lot lighter.

3. Is the noseweight better balanced that the Mk 1 Valencia?

4. Would our red Safefill fit in the gas locker?

5. Anyone else made a similar switch?

What's a Gerona? When I google all I seem to get is a site in Spain.

Sorry, seen the title and realise it is just a mistype.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

All I can say is that we get a 6kg calorlite and a Blue (large safefill) in our Unicorn 2 Gas locker. assuming the new van has tha same generic gas locker you will have no problem with safefill red.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I would think very carefully about the width difference, we found it made a huge difference.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I would think very carefully about the width difference, we found it made a huge difference.

At the risk of opening up to smutty responses, two inches made a huge difference?

Not sure what you're saying dreadly, my previous Vermont at 7'2" was I felt always wide enough, I would be happy to go down to 7'4". Have you experience with down sizing on the width?

I did drop down in length once and always regretted it, so won't doo that again.

Benefits with the GT to me is the shelve under the table that holds the TV, that would be used for our PVR.

And a lower ex works NW should be useful allowing some forward storage to be use while towing.

Negative is the heating, I would be happy enough with the old peg set up same as the senator, but not the underfloor set up where I believe the fan is always running, with the senator at night we would set the heating to 500 watt convection.

Edited by xtrailman

Traded in Burgundy s7 for GT65 Verona and I don't think the loss of 2 inches makes a great difference, however the dog, we have a chocolate Lab struggles to turn around in the Isle between the front seats lol. What I can say is that we love the new Van, my wife loves the self along the front windows so much space, hope you won't be disappointed if you change

Well, I'm not sure how wide my current Olympus is but we definitely find the width a small issue over our previous ranger.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

We have found the width difference quite easy to live with. ..not really noticeable. I am very satisfied with the heating - no cold spots that I have noticed so far but not done any proper cold weather caravanning in it yet. But bear in mind I have no experience of Alde. My previous van (Abbey Freestyle 2008 model) had blown air heating that was lovely and it is just as nice with the Bailey. The whale system is noisy I suppose if you are picky but not in a way that bothers us at all.

We were actually looking at getting a Unicorn 2 in the same layout (Valencia, I think) but Mrs Sprite preferred the GT65 as it had more room in the shower (square rather than round) and she didn't like the cocktail cabinet (waste of space in her words). We are delighted with the GT65 and it tows like a dream. :)

Not sure what you're saying dreadly, my previous Vermont at 7'2" was I felt always wide enough, I would be happy to go down to 7'4". Have you experience with down sizing on the width?

I thought all the Senators were 7ft 6" wide. .... ?

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I thought all the Senators were 7ft 6" wide. .... ?

Nope . ... up until the Series 5 they were 7ft2

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

If you go off grid on rallys etc you may find that the blown air heating runs the battery down quite quickly (fan motor) and unlike other vans you cant just have the fire on as there inst one.

We have now had two caravans with Alde heating and we would certainly miss it.

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

Our Senator was 7'6 wide and IN our GT65 there is a lot less space between the front seats. I think the seats themselves are deeper in the new van as the gap between them is certainly much less than 2 inches. We looked at the Unicorn which is 7'6 wide and the distance between the seats was still a lot less than the Senator.

The reduction in the space between the front seats doesn't cause us any concern, it's actually easier for me to put my feet on the seat opposite :)

The only slight difficulty is when the table is up and it is not so easy to get in and out from the seats.

I certainly would not be put off by the slightly narrower body width on the GT65's

Love ours.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

Have gone ahead and placed the order. It will be built in November and with us shortly after.

If anyone is interested in a 2011 Valencia Mark 1 with full service history in good condition, then let me know. It will be available from the end of September when we return from a 5 week tour of Scotland. We've had it from new and had it Superguarded - paintwork, upholstery and carpets. It has a Powrtouch auto engage mover, fixed satellite dish on the roof (twin lnb and manual crank). £12,950.

Good choice ;) Can youget the dealer to swap your mover to the new van, as the dealers arn't really bothered about movers as they can't give them any sort of guarantee when they sell a second hand van with one on - or so my dealer told me.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

The dealer will switch the mover for me, but if I sell privately, I will include the mover.

Thanks all for your comments.

If you go off grid on rallys etc you may find that the blown air heating runs the battery down quite quickly (fan motor) and unlike other vans you cant just have the fire on as there inst one.

Hi

We use ours on battery a fair bit, you`ll be suprised how low the battery consumption is, Think it`s down to how quickly and evenly it heats the van, No cold spots at all, noise isn`t too bad, Layout and comfort and towability make this a lovely van, Wouldn`t change mine anyway.

Regards

Ian

Good17 - Nice to get some real world feedback rather than theoretical. Does the fan actually shut off once the van is warm? which would save the battery. Alde heating uses the battery quite a bit (flue fan and circulating pump) but all shuts off once the van is warm. Have been out in v low temps (-9) with Alde and been very comfortable despite lots of gas being burnt. Addicted to Alde heating ( our 3rd van with it !)

Hi asklowey

Yes once the van is up to temperature the fan powers down slowly

then stops completely, very even heating system in my opinion .

Seems to heat everyware the same, bathrooms nice and warm,

got no complaints from me on model, had about 15 nights this year

running off battery ( not all at once) ,110mah battery copes well,

only charged on third day via generator, that`s including lights and 2 showers a day,

Hope you get on ok, did have trouble with heating control panel, but after contacting whale direct,

don`t bother with dealer, a whale engineer was send to site to fix, not problem

great company whale, very friendly and helpful.

Good luck and enjoy your time away, that`s what you got it for, not for constantly

looking for faults to complain about.

Regards

Ian

I've just had bank holiday away in my gt genoa and put the heating on for the first time on Saturday evening for 20minutes. It is noisey inside the van but our friends came over from the pitch next door and from the outside wondered what the noise was. I've read on hear people saying theve left the heating ticking over on low overnight and slept ok. I bet there neighbours on the next pitch didn't get much sleep as it's noisier outside than in. I've had it checked over by whale. great service, but you won't be popular on site if you leave it on during the night. I honestly can't understand how a company like bailey can fit a system as noisey as this to a caravan, and I bet the dealer didn't tell you about it. Apart from that the van is great. Love it but have had to invest in a oil filled radiator.

Yes when we had blown air heating at night the fan blower would be off, and the heater on convection only usually on 500watt sometimes 1KW.

Even so sometimes we would hear the stat cutting in.

Alde is ok but again when the stat cuts in sometimes we can hear the circulation pump.

Maybe we are just light sleepers.

I've heard that whale have modified the system for future vans, think it must be 2016, and it is much quieter, I wonder if it could be retrofitted to existing models.