Ferry To Spain At Christmas

summers nearly over,now thinking about christmas abroad. which ferry crossing in december is the best to spain. thought about travelling through france but sort of thought try the ferry crossing less driving. any ideas welcome. thank you. forgot to mention towing our caravan plus the dog.

Which ever you choose (i'd go for Bilbao) check when they are sailing as this is service time for some of ferries and they get very busy.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

summers nearly over,now thinking about christmas abroad. which ferry crossing in december is the best to spain. thought about travelling through france but sort of thought try the ferry crossing less driving. any ideas welcome. thank you. forgot to mention towing our caravan plus the dog.

We always travel to Spain every winter with Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth to Bilbao. We travel by ferry because we don't fancy the drive through France but that's our choice.

Go to their website and look up the sailing times and then do a fictitious booking to see what the cost would be. You will need to input the length and height of your towing vehicle and also the caravan. BF have dog kennels and dog friendly cabins so no problem taking your pooch.

Also, if you ask nicely, someone here who is a member of BF travel club may give you their membership number as their guest and you could save 10% of the sailing cost. .....just a thought!!

Think you might find you have to go to Santander as the Cap Finistre is the only one that does dog both in Kennels and dog friendly cabins think it sails twice a week in the winter

Brittany Ferries Cap Finistere has pet friendly cabins and kennels, but the Pont Aven only has kennels - you need to book early to get a pet friendly cabin.

I've been on both ships a number of times and the Pont Aven, being a much bigger vessel, will provide a smoother crossing, but not guaranteed. BF have introduced a third ship but I have no experience of it.

After our last two-way rough crossings in February on the Cap Finistere we've decided that next time we go to Spain we will drive through France and make that part of the holiday.

Land Rover is now back towing.

I've been travelling to southern Spain in November to spend the winters there for more than twenty years. The 1300 mile journey from Calais has always been the route I've taken, but for the past two winters, I've done the Portsmouth/Santander route. The drive down through France in winter is far from an enjoyable experience. Quite often it's cold, quite often it's wet and sometimes there's even delays because of snow. Of course the Portsmouth/Spain route is much more expensive but becomes more reasonable when you consider that you're saving more than £100 on fuel by not driving through France. Also maybe a saving on tolls of £40 or so and at least two overnight campsite fees. Altogether getting on for 200 quid.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Like Jaydug we have been travelling from spain to the uk for many,many years. I once did a breakdown of the

difference in costs between driving through france & using the ferry factoring in fuel/campsites/wear & tear

on the car & van etc the difference was about £70 plus we used to arrive tired. Now we arrive relaxed as the

ferry crossing is part of our holiday.

We have noticed that the PONT AVEN gives a smoother ride being a bigger boat,& the food seems better.

The dog is quite happy in the large kennel the vet has given him a mild sedative & this keeps him nice & calm

for the journey. The nice thing is you can visit your pet as often as you wish & give it a bit of exercise &

fresh air on the deck dedicated solely for dogs.

Should you wish to obtain a 10% discount PM me & I will gladly send you our membership number to use.

Have a lovely trip.

We leave this sunday to Bilbao for our winter stay hopefully until april 2015.(I know but someone has to do it.) :D:D:D

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Are there inside cabins on the Finistere which are not opposite the dog friendly cabin ? We always get allocated a cabin which are. Not a Dog hater can be noisy and awkward with big dogs and narrow corridors .

Are there inside cabins on the Finistere which are not opposite the dog friendly cabin ?

There are - but when I travelled last November my cabin was in the same corridor as the doggy cabins. I didn't realize it was until we were getting ready to disembark.

Are there inside cabins on the Finistere which are not opposite the dog friendly cabin ? We always get allocated a cabin which are. Not a Dog hater can be noisy and awkward with big dogs and narrow corridors .

There are inside cabins available which are not opposite the dog friendly cabins. I suggest you download the ships decking plan which will show where they are before you book online, then if you are allocated a cabin which is not suitable, phone BF and ask them to change it. I'm sure they will help you.

When we use this service every November, I tend to book as soon as the winter sailing schedules are released early August and usually get allocated an inside cabin on the top deck opposite the dog friendly cabins but have never been disturbed during the voyage.

Edited by Happy Chappie

I have read this post as it gives me a lot of information I want. We are planning to leave the uk on the 17th of January, for a few months, and I want to use a ferry to get us down there! Lizzie hates sailing though. So I have decided to fill her with Gin and put her to bed. when she wakes up we will be in Spain!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Seems like a plan. :D:D:D

Think you might find you have to go to Santander as the Cap Finistre is the only one that does dog both in Kennels and dog friendly cabins think it sails twice a week in the winter

If you do go to Bilbao using Cap Finestre take some sweet smelling air spray, the cabin toillette smells horrible !! we had it smelling both out bound and inbound in July. Other passengers complained of the same smell, there is something wrong with the sanitation system on this boat. No self service restaraunt so costs much more buy your food. Dogs barking all the time on the top deck when using the cheaper "salad bar". We will not use this boat again. malc

If you do go to Bilbao using Cap Finestre take some sweet smelling air spray, the cabin toillette smells horrible !! we had it smelling both out bound and inbound in July. Other passengers complained of the same smell, there is something wrong with the sanitation system on this boat. No self service restaraunt so costs much more buy your food. Dogs barking all the time on the top deck when using the cheaper "salad bar". We will not use this boat again. malc

We sail with BF from Portsmouth to Bilbao every November returning March these past 5 years and have never had any problems with smelly toilets or with noisy dogs but our journeys are in the winter period.

thank you all for the info. i am now going to work it all out which looks the best way. looks like the ferry might be better. thanks again happy travelling to all.

Been the Cap Finistre over a dozen times and never encountered any of these problems you mention .

I fact prefer it to the Pont Avon

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

We have just crossed on the cap finisterre left sunday arrived Tuesday 7-30am. No smelly toilets,no noisy dogs

sea like a millpond great crossing.

• 7 years later...

Hello,

I just checked and I am not able to see any availability for any of the ferries except Portsmouth to Santander, no Bilbao or Plymouth showing for December..., and in the one available (Portsmouth to Santander) it says no accommodation available for pets...Someone knows if this opens-up later? Thank you

Hi Virginia. This thread is 7 years old. Can I suggest you start a new thread on this important subject. 

Good luck. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 hour ago, VirginiaRG said:

I am not able to see any availability for any of the ferries except Portsmouth to Santander, no Bilbao

There isn't going to be a service from Portsmouth to Bilbao this winter. - Only to Santander

OK, thank you for the info. And from the ones to Santander, any providing pet accomodation? There is from Portsmouth and Plymouth, but only one seems available...and no pets...

There are no sailings in winter from Plymouth at all.
The only ship sailing to Spain this winter is Galicia  - running from Portsmouth to Santander. That ship does have cabins where dogs can go and has on board kennels too.   If neither are available they may be fully booked - but phone the ferry company and ask about cancellations 

• 3 months later...