Seasonal Pitches In The New Forest - Requirement To Move Caravan Every 2 Weeks

Hi all,

We are looking into the possibility of seasonal pitch in the new forest next year at one of the camping in the forest sites (forestry commission). We have been told that on all sites in the new forest, we would need to move the caravan every couple of weeks, in order to preserve the ground conditions. I was wondering if anyone else has a seasonal pitch on one of these sites, and if so, is the requirement to move your caravan enforced?

Thanks

Ian

09 Land Rover Discovery 3 HSE

05 Bailey Pageant Provence Series 5

We were going to put our van on a forest site a few years ago but were never told that in the terms and conditions. If you had no awning up I can't see the ground being affected as the grass doesn't really grow ( mostly because the ponies nibble it :) ) which site were you thinking of going seasonal on?

We were up at aldridge hill in july,a friend of ours had her motor home on a seasonal pitch,she stayed for 6 weeks in the same pitch.

Thanks for the responses so far. We're looking at Aldridge Hill as we've been a few times and it's our favourite so far. The plan would be to leave the awning up to minimise setup time when we arrive on site (this is permitted within the rules). If we have to take the awning down each time we arrive just to move the caravan then a seasonal pitch is less appealing - might as we just tow it there each time :)

Ian

Totally agree, not worth all the hassle and Aldridge Hill isn't open all season like the other forest sites so you wouldn't get your use out of it. We were going to try Ocknell but turned up for a weekend a few years ago and travellers had taken over the big car parks and were roaming the site with their dogs etc so put us off leaving it there :( we love the forest sites but they are so accessible to the general public we didn't feel safe leaving it for 6 months :(

Are they still franchised by the Camping and Caravan Club. Also not exactly cheap, but are in beautifull settings. Setthorns is normally one of our Winter breaks, but alas have not been for 2 years.

Yes, still caravan and camping, prices have jumped up since we've been going, went to Setthorns when it first opened, hardly any trees about then but very overgrown now :( and very expensive at peak times ! But the walking from these sites is amazing :) you can leave the car and walk all day :)

We go to ocknell most years and have made friends with 2 people with seasonal pitches they have to move every 21 days if they have a awning this is strongly enforced . camping and caravan have increased the pricing £19 per night with only a toilet block no showers there are cheaper sites in the area

Kia sorento Titan in command of a bailey pageant Sancerre

Ok thanks all - appreciate the help.

Now I need to figure out if it's possible to move the caravan with the awning attached, but not pegged into the ground! :)

I have 4 children aged between 6 months and 7 years old - I'm thinking one on each corner, with me driving, and my wife directing the effort. What could possibly go wrong! :)

Must say the for walkers these sites are great. The walk from Setthorns into Burley and a pint and return to the tea room os great.

Sounds like a plan fostero! Could be a bit tricky with the 6 month old though but with baby probably in buggy could work? ;):)

Must say the for walkers these sites are great. The walk from Setthorns into Burley and a pint and return to the tea room os great.

There certainly are some beautiful walks from Setthorns, love the one from Longslade across Horseshoe bottom and back through the woods to the site, only about an hour but some lovely scenery :)