Car Tax Disc From October

David 38

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Every time you buy a car you have to tax it straight away.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Every time you by a car you have to tax it straight away.

I have to do that now.

Regards, David

I have to do that now.

True. I bought the Trojan in mid March last year and I had to tax it from the first of March. Nothing changed there. However, reading various websites, it says that when you sell a car in future, you won't sell the unexpired potion of the RFL with it. As soon as DVLA receives the notice of sale, the unused part of the RFL will automatically be refunded to the registered keeper. It will be interesting to see if this all pans out as it should, after all, DVLA are not noted for their efficiency.

Mike.

Edited by Townie

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

I've had experience of the dvla's efficiency, car taxed on the monday pulled over by pnc camera van tuesday, accused of having a forged tax disc, threatened with car being towed away, saved by receipt from post office for forged tax disc. I don't know what would happen now? :angry:

True. I bought the Trojan in mid March last year and I had to tax it from the first of March. Nothing changed there. However, reading various websites, it says that when you sell a car in future, you won't sell the unexpired potion of the RFL with it. As soon as DVLA receives the notice of sale, the unused part of the RFL will automatically be refunded to the registered keeper. It will be interesting to see if this all pans out as it should, after all, DVLA are not noted for their efficiency.

Mike.

Every time I traded my old car I have taken tax disc out and claimed the refund.

Regards, David

I have to do that now.

Not if it is already taxed but under the new rules you will have to tax it before driving it.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I don't know what would happen now? :angry:

Exactly the same. Still have to tax the vehicle so important to keep the reciept. I tend to do mine online so will simply keep a copy of the confirmation email.

Not if it is already taxed but under the new rules you will have to tax it before driving it.

Dave

This is true. You will no longer be able to sell the vehicle with 'x' months Tax. When you sell it you get a refund for any 'full' months left on the tax. The new owner then has to tax the vehicle from scratch. My money is on the same wheeze being pulled with MOTs on the sale of a vehicle. Watch this space.

Ive also had a taste of DVLA inefficiency as well, I sold a car and sent the part of the V5 off to them.

Next thing I get from them was a letter saying that i was liable for an £80 fine.

According to them they never received the part of the V5 that i sent to them and wouldnt accept the fact that i sent it, so i ended up having to pay.

It was either that or go to court, and we know what would have happened then,,,,,, Idiots

Hi

I would never even think of sending anything to the DVLA without taking it to a post office and getting a proof of postage from the post office.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

DVLA are useless

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

My disc has been in the glove box for a few weeks now. Something to do with the 40-year-old chrome suction disc holder having given up the ghost.

The motorcycle disc lives in the top box where it can't get wet.

hawkaye :beardy:

I am thinking of changing my car when the Trojan goes in for its third service, (March 2016). I hope that several of you lot will have found out the pitfalls before then!!!

Mike :lol::lol::lol:

My disc has been in the glove box for a few weeks now. Something to do with the 40-year-old chrome suction disc holder having given up the ghost.

The motorcycle disc lives in the top box where it can't get wet.

Mrs W's tax disc flew out the window about 2 months ago when she was going down the A2 with the roof down. Went to buy a duplicate but wasn't allowed to. Phoned DVLA who couldn't explain why I wasn't allowed buy a duplicate as mot / insurance etc was all in place. I've tried several times since & same result. Eventually found out that when we changed number plates to put her private on the cheque hadn't cleared. No one had told me this, not the bank or DVLA. So sent off another as I couldn't pay with card either over the phone or online. Cheque cleared at least a month ago - took them 10 days to cash it. Still can't buy a duplicate at post office, so sent in an application, that apparently never arrived. I've given up now. We've had police cars behind us several times & they all have apnr round here, but not been stopped as car is registered as having tax.

And by the way although it may be called a road fund licence - it's tax. Any money paid to a government is tax.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I've never had a problem with the DVLA, and have always had a confirmation letter when selling a car, and always keep the letter.

Two of my vintage tractors are identical models, two years apart in age. The registration documents are identical apart from serial numbers, registration numbers and date of first registration.

The newer one I can renew on-line, the older one I can't do because the DVLA website claims I need an MOT certificate.

Normally do the older one at the Post Office with no problem. This year I had to fill in an exemption form before they would tax it and was told that next year I would not be able to do that as the form was being withdrawn after September.

They have shut our local DVLA office so I can envisage a long distance harangue with Swansea . . .

Cheers

Keith

And by the way although it may be called a road fund licence - it's tax. Any money paid to a government is tax.

It's been Vehicle Excise Duty. ..VED for a very long time

I've had experience of the dvla's efficiency, car taxed on the monday pulled over by pnc camera van tuesday, accused of having a forged tax disc, threatened with car being towed away, saved by receipt from post office for forged tax disc. I don't know what would happen now? :angry:

Confused by 'PNC' van. Was this a DVLA van?

If the receipt was for posting an application form to DVLA you have fifteen days to use the vehicle without a tax disc so what disc was produced and declared forged?

Police vans fitted with pnc camera that merseyside police use on the main routes in and out of the city, backed up by a number of chase cars to stop suspect vehicles. The receipt was for the payment of road fund from the post office, the tax disc was issued by the post office, it's really quiet normal to obtain your tax disc in this manner out in the sticks where internet is slow and unreliable. As for the 14 day rule this is what it says on the back of my reminder

We accept that it is not always possible to tax your vehicle on time, for example when getting an MoT or insurance for your vehicle. By law, you as the registered keeper will not be committing an offence if you tax the vehicle or make a SORN within 14 days of the date your current tax disc or SORN runs out. You must keep your vehicle off the road during this time as you will be committing an offence if it is used or kept on the public road.

It's been Vehicle Excise Duty. ..VED for a very long time

what ever its called is just semantics - its tax.

• 1 month later...

A lot of companies suddenly lose income . . no disc printing for somebody, and then there is all the disc holder manufacturers, and advertisers selling space on them . .

the country will drop into recession again

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

It's the first of October and the DVLA website has crashed, (announced on the radio). Why?

It's the first of October and the DVLA website has crashed, (announced on the radio). Why?

Cos now they don't need to be displayed, everyone's sending them back for a refund. ;)

Sam :beardy:

Thanks Sam, I knew there'd be a reason!