French Suggested Sites

Can anyone suggest a site in France that would suit a "towing abroad virgin"?

Basically looking for a site with pool and spacious pitches near to the sea with other facilities that would suit a 13&10 year old.

cheers

Adventure before Dementia

Welcome and it may help if you could be a little more specific on the area and time of the year. Brittany is quite close for towing. Have you been to Brittany?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi Micromort. I suggest you should first choose an area and places you want to visit - because there are are good campsites everywhere. Then think about where you are crossing the Channel and where you want to land on the other side - there are seven ferry ports in France, and if you don't want to drive far from the port then they all have possibilities. Happy planning.

As has been said, there are loads of sites within a short towing distance of all the ports in France, and many of them have pools and spacious pitches, and would suit someone going to France for the first time.

If you haven't decided yet, then have a look at some of the journey times from Nottinghamshire, using each of the ports, and work out the costs, then decide which will be best for you. Each crossing has advantages and disadvantages. The Dover crossings are the cheapest, and there are frequent sailings, Newhaven can also be cheap, but there are some worries about LD Lines 'viability', the western crossings are best for Brittany and the west coast, but cost more.

Many going to France for the first time go to Brittany, but obviously the weather there is more like British weather.

However, don't limit yourself to a short tow - towing in France is much easier than in Britain, and you may feel comfortable after the first short trip, to going further afield.

If you can go the last two weeks in August you could even be 'radical' and tour - choosing sites as you wish, and moving on when you want - though I appreciate this probably seems a step too far at this point in time.

Then

If you are heading for Normandy region then can I suggest Cherbourg or Caen crossings, we used a brilliant site which has spacious pitches, swimming pools both indoor and outdoor and water slides and 30yds from the sea. It's a Castells site called L'Anse Du Brick http://www. anse-du-brick. com/it/ we booked one of the deluxe pitches which gave us an extra large pitch with sea view and also had a cabin (shed) which housed large fridge freezer, sun beds, parasol and BBQ and pitch also contained a picnic bench, water and waste. Site has restaurant pizzeria and a bar and games rooms for the kids, volleyball and tennis. Couldn't fault the place, facilities are 5* and clean with piped music! all staff are English speaking.

Hope this helps

Phil

Try Camping Les Rivages in Millau

No sea beach, but a nice river beach.

Can be a bit of a drag to get to though. ..

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/92566-dont-disrespect-the-green-oval/?p=1075402

Regards,

Steve

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

thanks for the replies, I certainly should have been more specific regarding area but we are happy to travel, will look at your suggestions, thanks again, Dave

Adventure before Dementia

Another one of the Castells sites is near Le Mans, Chateau Chanteloup. During all of our travels abroad this has to be at the top of our list. Magnificent setting, the largest pitches ever encountered, the best hosts ever. Fishing lake, swimming pool, cycle tracks, bar, restaurant, games room and brand new for this year amenities blocks. Never been so laid back and chilled. 5*

Phil

Personally, I wouldn't consider driving as far as Millau for a first timer! Plenty of nice sites in Picardy and Normandy, not too far from the ferry terminals.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I agree it's a fair old way to Millau, but the driving seems to be easy in France.

Depends if you want the warmer weather of the southern areas I guess.

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

The first time we caravanned in France we did a 'Grand Tour'! Calais, then down through Burgundy (two sites), the Gard near to Nimes, Carcassonne, the Dordogne, and back via Calais. We never thought it was too much driving, had a 12 year old and a six year old with us, who had a great time on all the different sites, and we spent about four days on each site so time to unwind and enjoy each area.