Ring Dusk Till Dawn Awning Light

Does anyone know how this is wired to a sterling Europa caravan ? The old light was a switched one but was badly corroded. There are two orange/white wires & two black wires coming from the van on the original light with both same coloured wires running into one spade end. The new light has a terminal block with red, black & orange wires. We're stumped as to what connects to what as whatever we try does not seem to work & since snipping the spade ends off, the 12v lights in the van no longer work so we suspect they are on a ring circuit. If it helps the van is a 2006 Europa 490.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Do you have a handbook with the wiring diagrams in?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

My guess is that the orange/white wires are +ve and the black -ve, but a multimeter will confirm if it's the other way around.

Firstly, they need connecting back together as they used to be - the two orange/white connected to each other and the same for the black. That fixes the rest of the van.

How you then connect the two wires that you now have to the three terminals of the new light should be described in the light's wiring diagram.

Tony

That's what I would have said as well :)

If your light need three connections then one would be negative, one would be +ve and one would probably be a switched positive so you'll have to run a third wire in to cater for the additional connection. A multimeter would help you identify what happens on your existing wiring.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Thanks guys we will test the wires with a multimeter tonight.

Les.

Permanent live to work dusk till dawn with a switched live for normal switch operation I would assume.

Could use without an extra wire but would imagine the dusk feature would no longer operate.

As said, Check the literature that came with it but it's likely a permanent live that would be required for the "extra" wire.

Also, as already said, join the wires back as they were.

It's not likely, but possible, that the original switch is on the negative leg. That could complicate things for the new light so check that too.

Edited by MonkeyMark

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

It's not likely, but possible, that the original switch is on the negative leg. That could complicate things for the new light so check that too.

From the OP I believe there's no switch - the old light had its own switch. I had this on a '98 van and when I swapped the light I had to fit a switch.

Tony

Hi guys,

Well we tried everything we could think of (including using a voltmeter) but no luck. As we reconnected both original wires without the awning light we expected to get the 12v lights working again, but nothing. The handbook wiring diagram shows there is a 10 amp inline fuse somewhere in this circuit which we suspect may have blown when the old lights wires were cut ( to get the spade ends off ), but try as we might we cannot find it. If anyone knows where this could be located on a 2006 model Sterling Europa 490 we would really appreciate a clue.

Les.

Are you on EHU or just using the battery? If the latter then have a look very close to the battery box. You should find an inline fuse there.

If you're on EHU then (assuming the PSU is working) I have no idea.

Tony

Is it just the 12v lights not working or is it all the 12v system not working, if it is the lather, then it could ne the single fuse in between the battery and the PSU.

Just a quick update, Finally traced the fuse tucked away under the wardrobe behind the fire - and as suspected the fuse was blown. changed it & now all lights working including the awning light.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Les.